Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

John Lever

One Too Many
I like the way the very soft leather drapes and moulds to the body. My Buzz R leather was too thick so the fit was wrong, the Eastman is better. I must wear mine more often.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Knowing that Aniline dyed leather can be easily darkened by a restorer or conditioner kept me from using anything on my ELC cape A-1. I’ve blotted so many mysterious spots from my jacket and seen even a sweaty hand leave a dark spot. Since it started looking dry (rain I think could account for a bit of this) and not completely spot free anyway I decided to try Wilson's leather lotion which I already had and came with the warning- May darken aniline leathers. Well, surely it will darken this one! Not at all. I tested a spot and went for broke. I first blotted some dark spots with corn starch then treated the whole jacket. It left it no darker, with a homogeneous color (no dark to light spot borders) and a beautiful (but not too shiny) luster. Hopefuly this lotion will ward off the new spots.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I agree that would be a great thing to have, but nobody seems to want to touch that idea but limited-run, high-fashion makers. It could be the the design is deceptively simple, but in fact requires a lot of tailoring. It could also be that it is too plain and simple looking to be mass marketable.

Your best bet might be to watch eBay for one of Willis & Geiger's zip-front jackets made in the '80s (such as the NA-1), based on the Navy's pre-war cloth flight jackets. They can be pricey, but probably not as much as having one custom-made.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Oh and BTW...my Lost Worlds A-1 in heavy seal goatskin has had more wearing time this winter than ANY other piece of outerwear I own - A-1, A-2, cloth or sheepskin, jacket or coat. Good in the cold, the wet, the wind, over several layers or just a tee. I've got it on right now.

billyspew

One Too Many
I agree that would be a great thing to have, but nobody seems to want to touch that idea but limited-run, high-fashion makers. It could be the the design is deceptively simple, but in fact requires a lot of tailoring. It could also be that it is too plain and simple looking to be mass marketable.

Your best bet might be to watch eBay for one of Willis & Geiger's zip-front jackets made in the '80s (such as the NA-1), based on the Navy's pre-war cloth flight jackets. They can be pricey, but probably not as much as having one custom-made.

That was my fear.I've seen plenty that are similar, but one with the right collar, buttons, pocket layout etc. Always looks cheap.

The W&G's are good but again, just not right.

Thanks for the thoughts though.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I hadn’t watched the movie Pearl Harbor in a while and I just happened to see it on AMC while channel surfing, it was the scene with Navy LT Jack Miller in it and he was wearing an A-1. A couple of the guys on the flight deck were also wearing A-1s. Glad they chose the A-1 for his jacket. Not a big fan of the movie but it has its moments.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
I bought my Eastman A1 last summer and gave it a lot of wear and tear.
Its got a few spots and that suits me fine.
I like character and after all - damn if there is not a war on.
(Ok maybe not !! )

Anyway the jacket had its first airing of the year at the weekend and I thought I would show it to you guys.

I love the buttery soft feel of it when wearing it.

Alan

A1pics004.jpg

A1pics007.jpg

A1pics008.jpg

A1rpictures005.jpg

A1pictures007.jpg

Last edited:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love the look of the A1, but with summer coming up I was wondering whether there was a high quality cloth/canvas version of the A1 available anywhere?

Cheers,

Bill

LOST WORLDS (based in NYC) currently have a couple in their SALE SECTION (I just checked this morning). Worth a look. - Paddy.

Flying Mariner

Familiar Face
My New Aero "Air Corps US Army Type A-1" Wow!

Hi Guys....

I have just this morning received my New Aero jacket.
I placed the order in February and couldn't be happier with the jacket.
I went for "Oil-pull" Brown Horsehide and added 1" to the standard arm length and a extra 2" in the body length. It is a 44" chest.
I can't get over the quality and the leather is fantastic, very supple and soft.
I usually go for a 46" chest with my Aero A2 jacket orders, however I have lost a bit of weight and Amanda advised that this jacket is a more relaxed fit than the A2's.
Superb :eusa_clap

SAM_0016.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Nice looking jacket. Good choice of hide, too: IMO, while the original capeskin must indeed be great for a Summer-weight leather, I'd be very worried about tearing it. How does the oil-pull feel? It's one Aero hide I've not handled.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm assuming you haven't worn Capeskin then Edward. The military don't choose leather for utility jackets that will be worn on a daily basis taking a fair amount of abuse climbing in-and-out of aircraft where bits of protruding metal can easily rub against the jacket. Remember, the jacket is a piece of 'protective' gear and the cape was chosen for 'ease of mobility' due to it's combination of lightness, flexibility and strength in an aviator's working environment.

So unless you're intending dancing an Argentine Tango with Edward Scissorhands (actually, I wouldn't put that past 'you!'), then you should be safe enough clad in Capeskin :)

GREAT looking jacket - ENJOY!!

Flying Mariner

Familiar Face
Nice looking jacket. Good choice of hide, too: IMO, while the original capeskin must indeed be great for a Summer-weight leather, I'd be very worried about tearing it. How does the oil-pull feel? It's one Aero hide I've not handled.

Hi Edward....
The hide feels great. Similar to the hide of the seats in my Volvo :)
It's a lovely weight and great colour. It has that "natural" look and feel as apposed to the shiny/varnish type finish of so many jackets now.
What I like is the fact it feels like a 3 season jacket and will be wearable in all but the cold winter months.
I have a Aero A2 in goatskin and how I wish it felt like this "out of the box".
Regards,
Wayne.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I would choose a tougher leather than capeskin too. Probably goat.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Replacement knits?

I thrifted a great looking A-1 jacket made in Italy by Bally. It's reversible, suede on one side, smooth leather on the other. However, it needs new knits. Can anyone recommend someone who could replace the knits, and how much am I looking at price wise?

Thanks for the help!

I would choose a tougher leather than capeskin too. Probably goat.

Seb - Capeskin obviously has a bad rep. I have a Capeskin A2 (Aero, custom) and it's tougher than other goat A2/G1's I own. I was surprised as well, but make no mistake, it's no sissy skin. I actually really love that jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters