Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Yeah, you're not wrong. Talk to Aero, tell 'em the kind of fit you're after is the way to go, I'd say. How's it with you, 'Tank?

MB17

shamus

Suspended
I still say Aero's A2's run small. Shearling runs spot on. My D-1 from them is exactly if not bigger than the ticket size.

They probably run exactly the ticket size. But they are made for the WWII guy who had very little bulk on him and his size.

Contact Aero. Ask. Also each version of the A2's they sell are a bit different. But as to the A1 I think they only have one model.

Doug C

Practically Family
Guys, since we're on the subject of A-1s ...has anyone here ever watched the show that comes on the "Speed Channel" called Victory-by-Design? It's about old vintage automobile marquis and is hosted by Alaine De Cadenet, well Alaine wears an A-1 in it all the time. His jacket is sooo cool, it made me want to get one. His has a great collar that seams to stand up more and is a little taller than most of the ones from the usual places. The closest I've seen is the one from 'The Lost World' but I've heard bad things regarding the owner of that company and his are definately a lot more expensive...but if the money was to fall into my lap I'd probably order from him anyway. Otherwise I'd probably get the A-1 from FlightSuits, it's about half the price and looks nice in their catalog. Maybe they could make a more ssquared-off collar for it?

Doug C

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sizing and cuts of A1s and A2s...

A1s and A2s are slim cut, short bodied, long arms. They were sized and made for the average body of a young man in the 30s and 40s, (most of the jackets were size 36/38/40/42 at most, although there were exceptions and big jackets were made, but not in a blousey, puffed out way) which on the whole was a slimmish, smallish figure. They didn't pump Big Mac Steroids into their bods. They worked hard and played hard.

But today, the modern day WWII pilot wannabee's don't always have the WWII pilot figure! And then they complain that some of the repro manufacturers do not accomodate their more portly, rotund figure! So some of the repro manufacturers have accomodated them (such as ELC) and the purists kick up that they are too blousey and not trim enough. Then others criticise the likes of Aero for being too small and trim!! Just can't win!!
A1's and A2's are not for the portly figure. They are for the slim, trim fighting machine figure. And look best sported on such a figure, nice and tight and stream-lined!! Why do you think the English and Irish girls went crazy when the crews flew over? these were Hollywood Idols incarnate!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
There is nothing that annoys me more than modern manufacturers "fudging" on the sizes for the more rotund modern man. Since I wear a size 38 it can be difficult to find modern reproductions which actually fit and which don't have huge collars or absurdly long arms.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Paddy nailed it dead on. A-1s and A-2s were just not designed for the fuller figured man, and refiguring the cut compromises the spirit of the originals. Stouter fellows should strongly consider the wide variety of vintage civilian jackets Aero reproduces wonderfully. Regarding the fit of Aero's military jackets, I have three Aero A-2s and they all fit true to size (38).
Also, I own a Lost Worlds A-1 jacket, and I do not reccomend it. While it is a very well constucted jacket, the horsehide is WAY too heavy for this design.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aero A-1 flight jacket (with photos)

Hi chaps & chappesses. Sadly Brad or Tom weren't available to model this little gem from Aero in Scotland, so apologies in advance for being subjected to my less than rugged features! But, hey, focus on the jacket, as that is the star of this shoot.

Most of the vintage jacket makers will do their version of the A1, but I've only had the chance to comment on the Aero.

Dark chocolate cape skin is lovely (the original specified hide for this jacket), very soft and buttery and creases well. I love the cut to the A-1 anyway (predecessor to the more famous brother, the A-2).

Nice tight berry knits (dark brown), and a dark brown, denimy/canvas cotton hard wearing lining. Pockets are not too high (as I've seen with other makers they can be almost to the chest).

Not much I'd change about this baby, except my personal preference is for lighter honey coloured buttons to contrast more with the chocolate hide and I also like buttons on the bottom (rather than press studs, but both are historically correct).

All in all, a sure fine winner with this one! Just need a Harvard as an accessory to the jacket.

AeroA1jacket006.jpg

AeroA1jacket003.jpg

AeroA1jacket007.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Other distracting clobber

So THAT'S what the RAF gloves look like worn. Must get some.

Nice jacket - I think in many ways I prefer the A1 to the A2.

Thanks for posting - maybe some future shots of the the jacket sans gloves/helmet? Can't see the cuffs nor collar for gloves and flappies.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Scot...re: A-1...

Just no pleasing some folk!! (lol). Of course you are quite right, too many flaps and gloves, but don't it look good!. But the knits on the wrist are the same as an A2 and the collar knits are, well, the usual A1 spec, with leather loops on one side and the corresponding double buttons on the other to meet up. Guess I just like dressing up Scot!!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow! I love that A-1. Note to self: "must buy an A-1."
The gloves look great with it.
What is a "Harvard?" I know what Harvard is; I love 5 mins. away, but I don't know what a "Harvard" is.

I always say this, Paddy, you are the kid with all the best toys.

High Regards,
Tim

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
What is a "Harvard?" I know what Harvard is; I love 5 mins. away, but I don't know what a "Harvard" is.

You "love" 5 mins. away? TMI, Hem, TMI...lol

Harvard is the Commonwealth designation for the North American AT-6 Texan training aircraft. The Brits named their trainers after universities. And I think American planes got American schools, and British planes British schools.

And Paddy, I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of those. I'd have to leave it in the box for the next six months until the weather cools and pray that I wouldn't have to explain to the wife why I was buying another leather jacket, but dang, it's getting harder and harder to resist! :D

Cheers!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paddy has confirmed why I love Aero so much

Not to mention the rest of that fine outfit. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Absinthe, thanks for that great link too! A bit of Aussie history I wasn't aware of there. I wish my Dad was still here to ask him about those Boomerangs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner