Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Doug C

Practically Family
Chad - no problem on the pics.. thanks for the info on the collar of the US Authentic, but you did manage to confuse me (that's not hard to do really though) you said that the collar was big and squared off but then you said that you had yours made with an A2 leather collar. So did you actually have two seperate A-1s or did you have the knit collar removed and replaced with leather? Also what leather is yours made of ? What's the color like?

Doug C

Chad Miller

New in Town
I ordered one of their stock jackets, in horsehide with the wool collar, to see what the fit was like. Then I returned that and ordered a custom jacket in goatskin with a leather collar. I found the horsehide to be very stiff and heavy. The goatskin is much more supple and noticably lighter. Also, I think it forms better to the body--the horsehide felt "blocky." My jacket is in their Medium Brown, which I would call a chocolate brown. It's not too dark, and I think it looks quite nice.

Hope that helps,
Chad

Doug C said:
Chad - no problem on the pics.. thanks for the info on the collar of the US Authentic, but you did manage to confuse me (that's not hard to do really though) you said that the collar was big and squared off but then you said that you had yours made with an A2 leather collar. So did you actually have two seperate A-1s or did you have the knit collar removed and replaced with leather? Also what leather is yours made of ? What's the color like?

Doug C

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hope that helps Doug on your A1 quest...

It's the sort of jacket that Errol Flynn would be seen in and has that true 20's and 30's aviators' feel to it. Just cannot go wrong with this jacket type for the vintage fly boy's look.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Lost Worlds A-2 Horsehide Review and ****PICS****

Gents, I've been asked by my good friend Paddy over on the VLJIII Site to post some pics of my Lost Worlds A-1 when it arrived, well, yesterday was the big day and today I'm posting these pictures for all of you to enjoy. I'm a size 38 and so is the jacket and the fit is dead on, my only complaint are the sleeves, they have some stovepiping to them, which will take some time to get used to, as all my A-2s have a nice taper to the sleeve. The knits with this jacket tend to tunnel up a little which will also take some time to get used to. I am still kicking around the idea on selling it, not sure yet as I will have to wear it a little and get a feel for it.

The leather is very heavy Lost Worlds Horsehide, 3 or 4 oz not sure, but it's bulletproof just like Stu says, the jacket is made very well, far better than I expected, I don't think it could have been made any better. I wish it was made out of Cape so it would drape a little better, but nonetheless a killer jacket. So, I'll shut up, here are the pics, you decide.

Steve

7f_1.JPG

CIMG3042.jpg

CIMG3053.jpg

CIMG3051.jpg

CIMG3045.jpg

CIMG3046.jpg

CIMG3044.jpg

CIMG3043.jpg

CIMG3063.jpg
CIMG3062.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cracking looking A-1 Steve...!

Thanks for posting this latest acquisition Steve. It's a fabulous looking jacket and I dare say will encourage others here to think about getting an A-1 when toying with the idea of a vintage flying jacket!! It really is a classic style and in many ways (I feel) is nicer than the A-2 (did I really say that?...well yes!).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

That's a sweet jacket! Most of the A1's are cape, right? Pretty neat in horse. Fantastic!

I have to agree, Paddy - the A1 is a serious attention getter and probably even more versatile than an A2. Also niftier details.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
As far as I know the contract called for cape, but there may have been other variations, they are not as well known as the A-2 hence you see different variations form each repro manufacturer.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A-1s...

Hi Steve, Scott, et al...

My God, A-1s are a hairy beast- they were miltary issued- without much consistency, without labels a lot of the time- all of this whilst being made in the same 'STYLES', in the consumer market. Miltary jackets in military service and civilian jackets in military use- So- dificult to say who's who and what's what with A-1s and A-1-ish jackets.
There was widespread use of lighter hides (re: Capeskin sheep)in sportswear jackets in the era, which seems to have been forgotten with our modern-day, horshide-hype.

Check out any 1920s (or '30s)Aviation Supply Catalogues you may have lying around the place-plenty of A-1 styles and more.

Steve, I was watching that recent $450 eBay "A-1" for a while- condition-wise, probably not as good as one would have hoped(hopefully).... ...caught up in the eDrama.

How's the weather Steve..?

B
T

Doug C

Practically Family
Steve - That's a great looking Jacket! I actually thought about bidding on it myself, but darn-it I really need a sz.40 . Do not worry about those sleeves, I actually like them the way they are in your picture. I think that's one bad#@! looking jacket. I'd keep it if it were me.

I actually got me a LostWorlds A-1 the other day too... I'll have to shoot some pictures of it (maybe tonight). The one I got was on special and is an all cotton (oxford type VI) , 1 of a kind that's made with Horsehide pockets and trim. It's an amazing jacket but (darn-it again..) it's a little on the small side for me. It's about a 39 size while I'm actually a 40-41, I took a chance on it fitting and well it's pretty snug. So I may have to re-sell it. Keep an eye out for the pics.

I have to say, that the reasons I love these jackets are because they are so uncommon and unique and have have such timeless style. Well, there are other reasons too but basically they're just cool looking.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
My New Type A-1 (cotton/HH)

Hello guys & gals, I got a brand new type A-1 from LostWorlds the other day and thought I'd post some pictures.

Doug C

UHM.... but when I try, the I get an upload error message saying that the attachment exceeds the quota by 101.1 kb . Guess I need smaller pics right? Can they be down sized?

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
well that picture sucked.. actually they probably all do but here are somemore anyway. :p

Doug C

dsc011486qc.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Doug C

Practically Family
hey... this is going to be the ultimate (and only) thread about A-1's ? Well, it is better that way probably.

Doug C

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Interesting A-1 Doug...

I saw that one on Stuart's LW site and thought it interesting then, with the fabric mix. Really classic design isn't it!! I actually like the slight variations too from maker to maker, but all holding to the basic design. This one has a bit of a hybrid collar more akin to the later A-2 (that replaced the A-1 in 1931).

He (LW) had another one I was nearly going for, in mohair I think, that had been part of a Japanese order !! a camel colour and it was a real beaut!!! but then, how many jackets can one man really justify having?!

I'm loving this thread boys more-and-more because of how it's starting to highlight individual preferences of A-1 followers and how the makers are trying to accomodate to different tastes, with twists on a theme, or subtleties on button types, collar configs, press studs at bottom/or buttons, different hide types..etc, etc...yet still maintain the vintage essence of the 1920's US military flying jacket.

When you have a moment Doug and you are up for it, a run down on the jacket please would be just great!!!! Thanks for posting those.

Chad Miller

New in Town
Only Angels Have Wings

Did anyone else catch Only Angels Have Wings on TCM Saturday night? There were at least three nice looking A-1s, all of them different. That, and it's a fun movie in its own right.

There was also a very Indy-looking jacket to be found (complete with fedora), but that's a topic for another thread. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If you like A-1s...then get an eye full of this baby!!

One of the boys on VLJ-III posted this in an A-1 thread, and it's a nice close-up of the pic in the Suit Up book (Japanese flight jacket book, see Library Resource at top of WW2 room for details).

Just look at the patina on this. Now how can you NOT like it!

a1closeupfrontjpeg.jpg

SORRY, won't take the BIG image of this one.

grant

Familiar Face
Paddy,
If I ever get a repro A-1 this is how I'd want it to fit. The guy in the suit on the right is Billy Mitchell. Grant
A-1.jpg

29 toter

New in Town
Doug,

Nice Coat. Did you talk to Gemma about this project? If not, who does one talk to about having Wested do specialty work? What is the leather thickness/ weight?

I have some ideas for modifications to the u-boat/Dr. Who coat Wested sells and am interested in finding out who to talk to.

Thanks for your time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner