Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a great design and a great look, Doug

It looks ready for adventure in the cockpit or on the ground! It's different to any other jacket, yet has that authentic 30's adventurer look to it.

Doug C

Practically Family
thanks for the kind words guys!! I love this jacket and am already thinking about ordering another in some other leather.
29 Toter : Yes, I emailed Gemma asking if it could be produced. After several undeliverable emails to Wested (full mail box, etc) and having to re-write my entire request a couple of times.. she got it approved by Peter. I called, spoke to Peter (who is a great guy and fun to chat with) and got an order number. There were no other communication problems after the initial frustrations, at one point I had given up on Wested doing this jacket because they were so busy with other projects - just glad I didn't!! The leather is thin because it's made of Lambskin, which an original A-1 probably would have never been made of but I love the light weight feel of it (I have other Wested Lambskin jackets). I will probably get one of these in goat or HH next.

Doug C

Feraud

Bartender
That is a great looking jacket Doug C! I saw it on COW and have been meaning to comment on it.

Now that Wested has a template for this style, is it available for purchase if people are interested?

Doug C

Practically Family
Feraud, I was told by Peter (over the phone) that later purchases of the jacket would be cheaper than the original I had made because the patterns would already have been paid for. Which I assume means anyone who wanted one could buy it cheaper than the prototype. Apparently it would be about the same price as their Indy jacket.

Doug C

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
Cool Suede a1 style jacket

DolanTolstoy.jpg

The bloke on the right is Ilya Tolstoy (grandson of THE Tolstoy)
This is him in Tibet during WW2

Very cool jacket

Sam

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wow! Very interesting story! I never knew about that expedition; thanks for the info!

Deanglen, you'll find the pics of the honor guard interesting. There's some very familiar looking bashes in those slouch hats. You can a couple particularly well in the third photo.

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
UK.jpg
Tolstoy.jpg
There is some very cool and very kooky stuff going on in the photos in regards to uniforms and equipment
Dolan and Tolstoy rode Brit army UP saddles and the clothing is a mix of uniform,equestrian and period outdoor clothes

Not what springs to mind when you think of the OSS during WW2

Sam

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Sam Cox said:
There is some very cool and very kooky stuff going on in the photos in regards to uniforms and equipment
Dolan and Tolstoy rode Brit army UP saddles and the clothing is a mix of uniform,equestrian and period outdoor clothes

Not what springs to mind when you think of the OSS during WW2

Sam

Sam, what's an UP saddle? I'm afraid I don't know much about tack!

The mix of clothing reminds me of the LRDG and their non-standard clothing, though, like the chpplies and Hebron goatskin coats. In fact, the entire Western Desert Force was known for non-stardard uniforms. I think those guys that were out on their own fended for themselves as best they could, and used what worked more than anything else.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Buzz Rickson offering 2006/2007 A-1 vintage jacket

Actually, has a lot to offer, with the smaller pockets and the longer body, which many of the current repro makers miss (Just see on VLJ-3, where they are looking to have to club together to get one of the manufacturers to make a stitch-4-stitch A-1 copy jacket, as currently none seem to be offered!).

I love the look of this hide and the caramel knits off-set against the chocolate hide, just sings to me!! Anyway, have a look, dig deep into your wallets for this one chaps, and let all know what you A-1 lovers/aficianados think!!

br80102-2.jpg

br80102-1.jpg

jake431

Practically Family
I especially like the longer body. Since I don't usually tuck shirts in and I have a long torso to begin with, I always wind up with jackets that are too short. This one looks like it might be just what the doctor ordered.

-Jake

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
A UP saddle is the last Brit cavalry saddle,official name Saddle Universal Pattern 1912
Many UP saddles remain in service today with Brit mounted units

Sam

P>S that Rickson A1 looks like a million bucks ( and probably costs the same )

Lord Jagged

New in Town
A1 vs. A2

The earlier A1 looks like a really nice jacket - but I wouldn't trade my A2 for the world. Being a larger chap, I struggled to find a company that would tailor make a flying jacket for me. Cirrus came up with the goods in the form of an excellent A2 repro.

A2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21