Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
a1hR.jpg

The A1 came before (logically enough) the famous A2. This is the leather flying jacket of the AAF during the 1920's, but saw use through and into WWII. In Pearl Harbor, the scene where the flyboys are showing off playing chicken in the beginning, the CO is wearing an A1. In Only Angels Have Wings with Cary Grant, he wears one throughout the film.

There are many repros on the market, from Aero, Eastman, Real McCoys, Rickson, etc. You see them in many pocket configurations and in various hides. Many are made in capeskin.

It's a big favorite of mine and I'd like to add one to my closet one day. I recently just missed getting one in goat.

Chewing Wax

New in Town
Lost Wolds A-1

Just bought a 1994 prototype civil A-1 and can't say enough good things about it. It's close enough to the production model for me to recommend it. The Leather is amazing.
381008195_0bc28695a5_o.jpg
]

Obviously what I bought isn't a true A-1, but it's close enough I think for me to let you know that a Lost Worlds is a great jacket.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
LOL!

Too true! But, if you check out the Pop's Leathers site, they do offer several options, one of which is the knit collar for the "A 1" model. From what I can tell, these are not going to ever be mistaken for an Aero or Eastman, but if you want something a few notches above what you'll find at "The Mall", and you want some custom touches at a reasonable price, this might be a way to go.
I would think of these jackets as "customized beaters", better than average, but without the high price tag of Eastman, Aero, Lost Worlds, etc.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Flitcraft said:
I think that's the same company as "Pop's Leathers" (http://www.popsleather.com/). I've never dealt with them, but the website I posted gives more information, and more options.

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if this is the same company as POP's. Maybe. Pop's is in Turkey, of course, but I can't tell where Leatherneckaircorp is located.

Pop's makes an A-1, but I don't think it looks much like the jacket in this thread. While the Pop's A-1 is not a dead-on replica of the original, I think I recall it having a proper knit collar. Frankly, the Leatherneckaircorp jacket just looks like their A-2 with buttons.

Atticus

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Well, now I've changed my mind. Whoever Leatherneckaircorp is, I guess they must sell Pop's jackets. If you look at the Leatherneckaircorp "G-1", you can see the Pop's tag in the collar.

I could have sworn that Pop's A-1s have knit collars.

Atticus

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Only collar option I see at either store is "detachable lambswool." Ie, it fits over the leather collar.

Someone ought to write and see if they do the knit double button kind that doesn't fold over.

Both stores also offer substantial discounts on goatskin, claiming it's the "lowest quality" jacket hide. ???

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I wrote Dave at Pop's. He says no problem making the knit collar. Doesn't mention cost tho.

Some of the old posts over on That Other Forum claim Pop's product quality isn't all it should be. But nobody is at all specific about it. They might just be high-end collectors reacting to a lower-priced, lower-authenticity product.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Thanks...

Thank you for all of your input guys. I wouldn't expect to get a high end reproduction for that price. I just thought it would be a nice "beater" with a more vintage look. Good to know about the knit collar. I'll have to get a more specific price.

Cheers,

---Scott

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
Yep. I think you may be right. I love my friends over there just like brothers, but there is more than a little "repro snobbery" among them.
Oh yeah. I immediately get suspicious when they post in strong, but vague, terms, the implication being "any idiot should know that..." Such commentary is not primarily meant to be helpful.

mikepara

Practically Family
All depends on what's wanted surely?
A decent but cheaper old fashioned looking functional leather. Yes? Then buy one.
or
An A1 thats good enough to fool the veterans or fly in. Yes? Then avoid.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
mikepara said:
All depends on what's wanted surely?
A decent but cheaper old fashioned looking functional leather. Yes? Then buy one.
or
An A1 thats good enough to fool the veterans or fly in. Yes? Then avoid.
I presume by "fly in" you mean "bail out in." People pilot aircraft in any old nylon anoraks these days.

The Pop's site has you give a bunch of measurements. I wonder if they'd agree not to automatically add 10" to your chest and 6" to your shoulders if you asked.

The other big thing is the pocket placement. Close set pockets always look cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21