Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dougs was a good catch.

You've got to have a light finger on the trigger sometimes Scott to get the things you want. Keep an eye on VLJ too in case any come up there?

I actually think you'd look good in the 'right' A-1..:eusa_clap

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Caption Contest????

PADDY said:
AeroA1jacket007.jpg
"Damn! That's the last time I prop-start my own plane."

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Thanks very much Scotrace....

I have been looking for exactly this kind of jacket for a long time. Personally I like the lighter shade russet better than what Eastman eventually chose for their final color of cape. I would have kept this color.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The designation; "A-1" was, of course from military nomenclature but today, we commonly refer to anything like an A-2 with a button-through front, rather than zippered and with button pockets rather than snaps.

The style was very popular in sporting circles even in the late teens and through the twenties.

The military picked up the sporty style and it seems that there was a lot of license used in materials, styling and construction. From viewing many period military photos, I would say that many of the examples used by military personell were actually commercial models- hence the even wider range of styling. Knit collars and full leather collars and many differnt pocket styles, shapes and placements were seen.

Have a look at the Martin and Osa Johnson photo gallery and see some images with "A-1" style jackets from the late twenties here:

http://www.safarimuseum.com/exhib_photo_online.htm

m198512570480.jpg

m198512570492.jpg

B
T

Doug C

Practically Family
I hear alot of talk of original A-1s being green, but I see as many vintage pictures showing what appears to be suede versions as anything else, I like that idea and look too.

Doug C

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey, I don't think I've shown you folks the custom A-1 I had made a few months back. It's made from US Auth's Vintage horsehide and a dull golden (blue jeans thread)thread that I sourced.

Doug C

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That looks like a super color! Nice jacket. Is the hide grainy? From the back it looks really nicely grained. After some break-in, it'll be really terrific.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just returned from Italy. I happened to visit the Saturday street market at Verbania Intra, a town on Lake Maggiore, where in addition to a zillion yummy food items and a great proliferation of leather goods I saw quite a few A-1 knockoff jackets on sale.
I didn't buy one - they were very thin skin, probably lamb, with too many seams, and only black and various suedes for colors. But the style lives on, in a certain form.

Doug C

Practically Family
Alaine's type A-1

Alaine De Cadenet wearing his type A-1 in the Speed Vision series called "Victory By Design" it's a very good series for the vintage European auto sport enthusiast. Alaine's was the first A-1 I ever seen and I just thought I'd post some screen caps of it..

Doug C

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Would love to see them, but they're not showing up!
Isn't that the A1 he got from Lost Worlds- seems that site makes a big deal about him being one of their customers?

Doug C

Practically Family
Not long ago Alain crashed his Vincent motorcycle and here's what was written in an article about it:

The saddest victim of crash was undoubtedly de Cadenet's 50-year-old leather jacket, cut off by the paramedics despite Alain's protestations. Apparently it was a present from his mother, who had received it long ago from an up-and-coming actor friend named… Marlon Brando.

—David Edwards

There were no pictures, but I doubt that it was the A-1.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy