Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Flashman

Familiar Face
Congrats to you.

Always a nice feeling to place the order. Not come across an A1 zip front - do you have any pics?

Also is there a website for Superior Jackets - I will google to see if I can find it, perhaps you might provide a link.

I am waiting eagerly for my A1 - April feels so far!

Let us know how you find yours when it arrives.

Hey Guys,

I too am finally taking the A-1 plunge... Placed an order with Mark of Superior Jackets. Talked on the phone and did opt for something slightly custom- straight A-1 but zipper front. Not his "Lincoln Brigade" jacket... just zip front.

Two months or so...not nearly as bad as Aero! can't wait!

Clint

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
Flashman,

You found the site!

No images of a zip A-1... just doing it for tastes. And yes, THOSE pockets are way too high. I'm doing the correct/more common, lower pockets. Mark just doesn't have images. He spelt it out all on the phone- very fun talk.

Oh, he used to have images of his zip Lincoln Brigade jacket. He explained its really more a hybride of an A-1 and A-2... Details of both... a collar similar to the A-1 as in being knit. But size, shape, etc were different.

EDIT... Here are the old links where Mark (Fishmeok) shows his Lincoln Brigade jacket... to get an "idea" of a zip A-1... Of course mine will be "more" A-1...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...test-jacket-size-42&highlight=lincoln+brigade

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?37663-Lincoln-Brigade-Jacket&highlight=lincoln+brigade

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...d-my-new-workspace!&highlight=lincoln+brigade

And just Great!
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...hanks-to-Fishmeok-!&highlight=lincoln+brigade

Again mine just an zip A-1- toggles at the neck, all other details the same. Going for a 1930s vibe rather than pure accuracy.

Look forward to seeing images of your's when completed too.

Clint

Last edited:

Flashman

Familiar Face
cbrunt thanks for the links...very interesting hybrid jacket. I wish you much enjoyment when your jacket comes through. Personally I REALLY like the A2 and love the A1 very much - but the hybrid is one that is a little too much for me I'm afraid. Interesting though I will say that.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Mark (Superior Flight Apparel) offers the A-1 with both pocket configurations: the higher form is correct for the US Navy/USCG jacket, while the more commonly seen (as a repro at least) lower pockets are correct for the USAAC version. Plenty of period images of both versions on VLJF.

Flashman

Familiar Face
That is a nice image and if I may say so, the hybrid/F1 with zip, actually looks better on a woman and as such whilst I don't know if the A1's ever came is male and female versions, personally I would have the zip version for women only. Just my opinion. Still wish there were more A1 pcis to compare.

767fo

One of the Regulars
Good wear offers a very nice version of this jacket also.

25e2a865.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
Allen - that GW picture is the Electra jakcet. Its not yours is it? I want one. I asked John to make one for me but its a design he did not want to pursue. I love it - wish I owned one -

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
John/Allen
I though that Electra had been a test jacket as I couldn't recall having seen it on the GW site. Moving away from the concept of the A-1, but a great 30s vibe going on...

767fo

One of the Regulars
I have never spoken to John about this jacket but I thought it was a real nice design. I saved the pic of the jacket before John updated his site.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It's how I (and several on VLJF) wear the A-1 - unsnapped at the waist in the manner of a leather waistcoat (gives it a real twist).
Really enjoying my ELC A-1 at the moment - very practical in the cold weather, worn under a thick coat.
Looking forward to picking up my Good Wear A-1 this month too.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
It's how I (and several on VLJF) wear the A-1 - unsnapped at the waist in the manner of a leather waistcoat (gives it a real twist).
Really enjoying my ELC A-1 at the moment - very practical in the cold weather, worn under a thick coat.
Looking forward to picking up my Good Wear A-1 this month too.

Indeed we do Ian.

Alan

roy

New in Town
Bought this A1 style jacket, made by "Stewart Leather", perfect fit, perfect colour.
Cost me £20, and about the same for knit replacements, my favoutite jacket, ever!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav