Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
There's two kinds of jackets in this crazy world.. A-1's and A-2's. It's a bit baggy, but the untucked flannel shirt looks good.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
The most likely candidate is the one (shown twice) alongside the sample of brown goatskin, I.e. The cape on left in the colour on the right.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Snappy!

ButteMT61

I think maybe part of the appeal of that A1 today, is not only is it historical it is also rare to see anyone wearing an A1. At least I've never seen anyone wearing one, however the A2 is really becoming quite common place now. I frequently see various quality of A2 jackets as I travel around. I should clarify I enjoy seeing people wearing them & sometimes ask the owners who made it & where they bought it, usually they are pleased to do that.

An interesting detail on the A1 are the snaps at the bottom of the windflap which I would imagine were a very practical addition, although dropped on the A2 contract. It is wonderful looking jacket & I hope you enjoy having it in your collection!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Od a1

Here is the Lost Worlds A1 and Navy versions in OD. I have seen a photo of a Navy version in OD, though I can not for the life of me find it! There were orders for the Army A1 in OD, but I have never seen one in color.
A-1OliveHorsehide-7.jpg
A-1OG-6.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I bought a new Eastman version when they first came out, A nice jacket as I wanted something button up for a change, but like most of there A2s, tended to droop at the shoulders. Thats why I don't have it now, though I believe they may have corrected this.
It didn't have any kind of beat up look and blended in with modern everyday wear. The only gripe I really had with it were the almost useless pockets, especially the one with the pencil pouch, you could get a matchbook in there and then have trouble getting it out:D haha.
Mine(pockets) though were a little higher op than going by your pics though.
Nice jacket all the same, John

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here is the Lost Worlds A1 and Navy versions in OD. I have seen a photo of a Navy version in OD, though I can not for the life of me find it! There were orders for the Army A1 in OD, but I have never seen one in color.

And that's the problem with period A-1 photos...they're always in black and white. When we look at the old photos of guys wearing their A-1s, we assume that we're looking at brown jackets. But we may actually be looking at olive jackets or olive jackets mixed with brown...there's no way to know.

Stearmen, you're one up on me. I have never seen a modern photo of an original, olive A-1...Navy or Army. But, heck, there probably aren't more than a half dozen known originals of any color in existence today. I have no doubt that Olive A-1s existed.

AF

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I bought a new Eastman version when they first came out, A nice jacket as I wanted something button up for a change, but like most of there A2s, tended to droop at the shoulders. Thats why I don't have it now, though I believe they may have corrected this.
It didn't have any kind of beat up look and blended in with modern everyday wear. The only gripe I really had with it were the almost useless pockets, especially the one with the pencil pouch, you could get a matchbook in there and then have trouble getting it out:D haha.
Mine(pockets) though were a little higher op than going by your pics though.
Nice jacket all the same, John

The later iteration of the ELC A-1 (in capeskin with a narrower silhouette and smaller pockets) is on the money in most respects - not perfect, but a very good reproduction.
IMG_9219.jpg

The shoulders sit properly with no droop.
IMG_9213.jpg

The capeskin wears well and shows plenty of character.
IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9220.jpg

IMG_9221.jpg

If you want to use the pockets to store lots of items though, it's not the jacket for you. I can fit an iPhone in my narrower pocket, along with a propelling pencil in the slot; a set of car keys, or a notebook in the other (and, with difficulty, a coiled dog lead), but that's about it ;-)
IMG_9217.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've been meaning to shoot some photos of my Good Wear A-1 after several years of wear. Well, I'm wearing it today, for maybe the last time this season, so here are some phone shots taken in full sunlight out in our parking lot. Note that it has become much lighter as the surface of the cape has worn. Also, stress points, such as button holes, elbows and cuffs have lightened even more than the remainder of the shell. I seldom wear flight jackets undone, and my A-1 is no exception. If I've got it on, its buttoned...so the button holes were the first to gain character.

0416121014.jpg

0416121018.jpg

0416121017.jpg

AF

NIce pics guys. Look brand new still. As for the pockets - I like them. It's large enough to carry three things:
Silver Dollar (left pocket, good luck charm - like all my jackets)
iPhone.
Cash.
Other than that, I don't carry anything in pockets so these work nicely. :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I had one of Eastmans early A1s, got it just after they announced they were making it.
To be honest, I was told they did not have a complete original, just a description and one 'restored' a while back which was not 100% right. I'm sure the pockets were higher, it was also made from Horse. I have to admit I am a bit of a pocket stuffer and I do like the button up style.
May have to have a look again if they have improved the shoulder

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Greatly improved now - looks very similar to the original that Gary Eastman has (and a good weight of capeskin too).

OK, this made me lol
When I took my wife to get her end of the A-1 bargain (kitchen appliances) I of course wore my A-1. Here at the counter, I looked over and saw this gentleman who is probably my Dad's age. I had my shirt tucked in of course, but check out this sorry old fella:
shirtguy.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
OK, this made me lol
When I took my wife to get her end of the A-1 bargain (kitchen appliances) I of course wore my A-1. Here at the counter, I looked over and saw this gentleman who is probably my Dad's age. I had my shirt tucked in of course, but check out this sorry old fella:
shirtguy.jpg

Looks just like the twentysomething year olds in my office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass