Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Nicest A-1 in the history of Fedora Lounge and anywhere on the Internet. The hide is to die for and the cut is a stunner. I was going to buy an A-2 but now I am changing my mind. I went to the site that sells these jackets and the man on the site wearing made this model of jacket really did not do it justice. Looks much better on you. Well done. I am very jealous.

Do you have a link to said pic, Baron?

SJ

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
What is the correct/original size of the pockets, were they both big and small?

I think I favor the small pockets.

There's some variation in pocket size, if you look over the original images (the Anything and Everything A-1 thread is a good place to start), but they were typically proportionately smaller than A-2 pockets and placed more centrally.

SuitUpA1p198.jpg

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
There's some variation in pocket size, if you look over the original images (the Anything and Everything A-1 thread is a good place to start), but they were typically proportionately smaller than A-2 pockets and placed more centrally.

Aha, thanks!

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Hm, yes, I've emailed but no reply. John actually messaged me out of the blue a while ago, in response to a post here, with some very useful information about his jackets.

I need to wean myself off Aero, and the GW prices are looking comparable now.

SJ

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hm, yes, I've emailed but no reply. John actually messaged me out of the blue a while ago, in response to a post here, with some very useful information about his jackets.

I need to wean myself off Aero, and the GW prices are looking comparable now.

SJ

For accuracy, I'll take the GW over the Aero every time.

Here is the pic of the backing buttons used...
The one shown in the link to JC's site shows the unfinished edges, FYI. There has been debate on that one before, but I love it! In fact... :)
bone_button.jpg

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
For accuracy, I'll take the GW over the Aero every time.

Not sure if you're talking only about A-1s here, but I think that John would say that his A-1 is not a copy of a specific jacket, but is an interpretation of what a Good Wear A-1 would look like if Good Wear had been a contractor, back in the day. In other words, he didn't pull a pattern off of an original in the same way he does when he makes an A-2.

But this isn't an issue, to me. Evidently, there was much variation in the A-1 design and manufacture. The specifications were rather vague and the contractors didn't strictly adhere to them. The Air Corps version varied between smaller pockets and larger pockets. There were raw-edged seams and top-stitched seams. There were two-piece sleeves and three piece sleeves. Supposedly, the specifications actually called for olive capeskin, though I’ve never seen a photo of an olive original. I have seen photos of brown originals. Then there was the Navy version (not even strictly an A-1) which had huge, high pockets and a differently shaped knit collar. And, evidently, there was a wool A-1…though no one seems to know if this version as called an A-1…or was a generally issued jacket.

So…I like to think of my GW A-1 as being the probably unique jacket that I would have been issued had I been hanging around the Air Corps in 1928.

AF

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Geoff. I was referring to the A-2 patterns, but your comments are absolutely spot on re. The A-1 evolution.

I am OK with posting these pics, per JC. Folks, if you've not considered an A-1, let me nudge you a bit! Check out these hides. The one with the browner hide is what JC is ordering, and should make for a fantastic jacket. Note this pic is for color only, the hide will be one of the samples posted below. More info to come, but feast your eyes and save your pennies. :)

Sample_No1.jpg

Sample_No2.jpg

Sample_No2_Match.jpg

Sample_No3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass