Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Harris
Don't forget that ELC offer a 40 long (which Oi Polloi/YMC may carry), which would address the torso length without compromising the chest width.
Just a thought...
Cheers
Ian

Ian,
As I understood when I got mine the short is half an inch less and long is an inch more

I had a standard size A1 sent to me by Eastman to try on and sent it back to have the short version and yep it was half an inch less in length when it arrived

Alan

Harris

New in Town
Hmm I can't make up my mind. I just took my chest measurement again and it's 40 inches. When I put my data into Eastman's size calculator, I get size 40 as a result. Given that I want the jacket to fit on the trim side rather than big, I will probably not be happy with a size 42. Maybe I will take Ian's suggestion and have one custom made by Eastman. But that means I would probably not get the darker color leather like the YMC one has and would have to pay about 100 GBP on top of the YMC price.

Anyway, you all have been very helpful and this forum is really a tremendously great resource.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
As for sizing, I am still very unsure. I have contacted YMC with my measurements and they just shot me a one line e-mail back saying "Size 40 is roomy so it's fine for you", and further inquiries for exact measurements weren't answered. I suppose this YMC jacket is the same model as the one Oi Polloi had on offer. On the Oi Polloi site, they have the actual measurements for the different sizes, which are:

Size 40
Pit to Pit: 20.25
Back: 24.25
Arms: 20.5
Shoulders: 16.5

Size: 42
Pit to Pit: 22.5
Back: 26.25
Arms: 20.5
Shoulders: 18.0

Size 40 is very short in the body, and has very narrow shoulders at only 16.5 inches. My shoulder size is more like 17.5 - 18 - would too narrow shoulders be a problem for a leather bomber? And size 42 is very roomy in the chest at 22.5 inches, while the other measurements look fine. But then again, who knows if the YMC sizing is actually the same as the Oi Polloi one...sigh.
It seems that size 40 in this jacket usually translates to Small, and 42 to Medium. I've never owned a "Small" jacket, and with other brands, 40 is definitely "Medium"...which is my usual size.

Harris

I wear a size 40 in A2's but wear a size 38 in the Eastman A1

For info the sizes are

Pit to Pit 21.5"
Sleeve (including knits) 25"
Front 22.5
Back length (including knits) 25"
Shoulder to shoulder 17.5"

That really doesn't fit in to the template above though

Alan

Harris

New in Town
I wear a size 40 in A2's but wear a size 38 in the Eastman A1
For info the sizes are
Pit to Pit 21.5"
Sleeve (including knits) 25"
Front 22.5
Back length (including knits) 25"
Shoulder to shoulder 17.5"
That really doesn't fit in to the template above though
Alan

Alan, thank you. Those measurements look like they'd be perfect for me. Are these measurements taken after stretching it out through a lot of wear? What size do you usually wear in other jackets?

The measurements I got from YMC are a bit questionable - they stated shoulder to shoulder as 33cm which is impossible. If their size 42 is ELC's size 42, I guess it would be too big for me, regardless of how perfect the jacket otherwise might be. So, it looks like I won't be able to buy one right now as nobody has 40 in stock. I will wait for Sir Jacket's report if he has the time to visit the YMC store.

I found another picture of the jacket in question. The leather looks thinner, darker, and shinier than the pictures on the YMC site. Yet, the item description says Seal brown Capeskin Time Worn leather. I wonder how accurate this photo is - as I like the darker shade.

3367713-origpic-e27beb.jpg

Last edited:

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
The jacket sizing has not changed since I got it despite wearing it /playing with it under all conditions.
A few pictures to show what it looks like although its had another good winter's wear since then

A1pics004.jpg

car003.jpg

This is lying on snow at the beginning of this year !!

A1pics008.jpg

A1pics005.jpg

The sleeves has just creased etc rather than the standard picture you see above with fairly "flat" uncreased through wear sleeves.

In terms of a regular suit jacket I am either a size 38 or 40 (but short) rather than regular

Alan

Last edited:

Harris

New in Town
Hi Alan, thank you. That is one cool looking jacket! The fit looks just right. But not extremely slim. I notice on all fit pics of the A-1 jacket that the shoulders seams always seem to "hang" a little as opposed to sit right on top of the arm as you would fit a blazer-type jacket. Is this a characteristic of the A-1? If so, then maybe the 18" shoulders of the size 42 are in fact not too big for me.

Persimmon

One of the Regulars
Harris,
Everyone is so different that its hat you feel comfortable with.
The A1 for me is like wearing a waistcoat rather than a jacket so it fits close but with a little room to breathe.
The capeskin is so light to wear so fit close to your body perhaps more so than a formal jacket.

Again wearing a dress shirt is a similar close drooping fit to the body

By the way, the Cape is very hard wearing and can take many a good knock..
After all it was worn in open cockpits so don't be afraid to wear it under all conditions and just wear it to blazes.
Alan

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I tried on one of the timeworn ELC A-1s today, at the American Store in Covent Garden (London). I have to say I wasn't in love with it. I am definitely a size 42 in that cut (I'm 6"1'): I can't imagine another of their sizes fitting me better but this was nonetheless too tight around the shoulders and too loose around the waist. I preferred the look of the GW, as kindly modelled here by Butte.

SJ

I tried on one of the timeworn ELC A-1s today, at the American Store in Covent Garden (London). I have to say I wasn't in love with it. I am definitely a size 42 in that cut (I'm 6"1'): I can't imagine another of their sizes fitting me better but this was nonetheless too tight around the shoulders and too loose around the waist. I preferred the look of the GW, as kindly modelled here by Butte.SJ
Cheers SJ. However, mine is a tad larger around the torso than I'd like. The original person it was made for was a barrel of a guy as opposed to me. I talked with JC, and it's near impossible to make changes to it, but I don't see myself ever selling this one. It's too damn nice and unique - even if it's not 100% a perfect fit for me.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys think of the collar on this jacket? I like the look of it worn folded down as opposed to the "turtleneck" look. Is it easy to keep folded down?

Harris

New in Town
Quick update, I pulled the trigger on the YMC jacket - once I receive it I will report back. Size wise, I have heard from several sources that size 40 is extremely narrow in the shoulders as reported by Sir Jacket, so I went with 42.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Quick update, I pulled the trigger on the YMC jacket - once I receive it I will report back. Size wise, I have heard from several sources that size 40 is extremely narrow in the shoulders as reported by Sir Jacket, so I went with 42.
Good call. Hope you'll be comfortable with it Harris.

leopardstyle

One of the Regulars
Haha, I'm sure we could find pics of people looking odd and overly stuffy with their shirts tucked in. The untucked, not trying to hard look, is like anything else. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In Butte's case with that awesome A-1 it works and then some.

Flashman

Familiar Face
Its here! its here! its here!!!

Was like a kid on x-mas morn - breaking the box open! Bit of unnecessary drama - blasted item was delivered on the one day no one was home to take delivery - so had to go to UPS depot and wait a further agonizing 30 mins!

I was a bit scared - as I had ordered size 36" (even though I am a suit size 38" chest) but Amanda told me it will fit me as they have some 'room'. My reason for fussing over this is because I am only 5 7" tall and a little muscle-y built not 'skinny'.
So tried it on and the concerning areas -

Body length - PERFECT. Sits just above my bum but just below my waist line.
Sleeves - PERFECT, just right length.
Chest - a little TIGHT if I am beimng honest - partly because I have also been working out quite a bit but I THINK the leather will stretch a little to fit my body.
Neck - the elastic is quite a SNUG and needs a little effort it round.
Buttons - really IMPRESSED with the button - the have nice slip on/off trick that makes them effortless to flip on or flick off.

Overall
- The jacket fit like a layer of skin. I tried it ONLY with a shirt and also with ONLY a t-shirt. On both occasions it was perfect. I DONT expect to wear it with a jumper so I am hoping that the fit is as it was meant to be.

Could anyone confirm if my fit is right - i did not want a jacket that was big or so loose that it went below my bum and also had too much space/leather all over the body (I have an old A2 like that).
Also, does one really want to wear a A1 with a flippin jumper anyway?

Cant wait for the weekend - Alain De Cadanet would be proud of me if he saw me!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Haha, I'm sure we could find pics of people looking odd and overly stuffy with their shirts tucked in. The untucked, not trying to hard look, is like anything else. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In Butte's case with that awesome A-1 it works and then some.
Thats because he looks like a kid on Christmas with his new A1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails