Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

Harris

New in Town
Hi again,

I just got word from YMC that they're in fact sold out of the Time Worn "Washed" Capeskin A-1 - they forgot to update their online inventory :eusa_doh: They do have another ELC A-1 in my size though which I am now thinking about buying.

The color is a lighter brown than the time-worn version, but to me the leather also looks like it underwent some kind of treatment to break it in and give it a vintage look - or am I imagining things? As it's hard to get reliable info out of YMC, I was wondering if you guys recognize this leather and can give me an opinion - I am worried it might not be as soft as the Time Worn one (as I am looking to buy a softer, broken in jacket). I wonder when I buy a non-time worn ELC jacket, how much wear would it need to have it look similar to the "time-worn" one, and also if the color will become darker with wear...

This is the jacket I am talking about:

http://www.youmustcreate.com/produc...hers/ymc-x-eastman-leathers-a1-bomber-jacket/

And for comparison, this is the time-worn version which I intended to buy, but is sold out now:

http://www.youmustcreate.com/produc...c-x-eastman-leathers-a1-bomber-jacket-washed/

Thanks again for your help!
Harris

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Harris
The first post is the 'normal' stock ELC A-1. You'll be fine with this one, trust me.
Mine was exactly the same - it'll age beautifully (and be soft as well).
Pull the trigger on that one.
Cheers
Ian

Harris

New in Town
Ian, thank you for the info. On the pictures, it does already look a little aged, or is that simply the character of the leather? I fail to see much difference between it and the time worn, apart from the time worn one being of darker color. I want to avoid buying a leather jacket that has this certain "too new" look to it, I.e. being too stiff and not forming to the body etc.
But as you say this one doesn't look that way, judging from the pictures.

Trust Ian - because those pictures on the website are hideous. I'd never buy a jacket based on those - but I've seen Ian's collection, and he's a true A-1 aficionado! Good luck. I like seeing the A-1 coming up here...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Ian, thank you for the info. On the pictures, it does already look a little aged, or is that simply the character of the leather? I fail to see much difference between it and the time worn, apart from the time worn one being of darker color. I want to avoid buying a leather jacket that has this certain "too new" look to it, I.e. being too stiff and not forming to the body etc.
But as you say this one doesn't look that way, judging from the pictures.

The colour is darker in the Timeworn version that you see here, but that's not typical - it was a darker batch made specifically for retail outlets.
The hide in both jackets will be practically the same in terms of softness and drape - both will age quickly with wear and show character.
This hide is softer than horsehide, steerhide and even goatskin - it will conform to the body directly out of the box.
For my money, the stock one here looks better (closer to the real colouring).
For the difference between Timeworn and stock, take a look at the edges (pockets, button stand, yoke) - they have been rubbed/abraided to give them a slightly paler look, revealing the colour of the hide underneath.

Harris

New in Town
Hi,

thank you Ian. You are right - when I look very closely, I can see some abrasions on the Time Worn. Nothing too spectacular though, especially considering it's 50 GBP more for those abrasions ;-)

Anyway, even the stock one from YMC looks a lot darker than the stock one on the ELC website. I guess I'll be fine with it. I was looking for a darker shade than the stock ELC and it might fit that bill.

Later
Harris

Just pulled the trigger on a GW A-1. Butte, thanks for the inspiration, sir!I hope I'm as enthusiastic in a year's time, when the thing actually arrives.SJ
Hell yeah! Glad to hear it SJ! I am excited to see the A-1 get some traction here. In fact, I am contemplating selling my latest Aero A-2 to fund another A-1. I have not stopped wearing it since I got it. I also have to raise cash to pay for a lost HWM that USPS screwed me for.Good luck - can't wait to see the new A-1.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I have my money down on a GW A-1, with some minor mods (the wait begins again). Might even sell on my ELC A-1 in time (or keep it as a beater)...

Flashman

Familiar Face
Wore my A1 today for the first time - i LOVVVVVE! it!
I wore it with a denim shirt and jeans with brown Chelsea boots as its quite a rainy/cold day in London. Really like the snug-as-a-bug-in-rug feeling. The slightly smaller size of the jacket makes it like a layer of skin. The neck wrap is REALLY snug. I guess the neck wrap is meant to be that snug right? The fighter pilots would have liked to have the wind not hit their Gregory (neck) so I will assume the fit is right.

Looking forward to wearing the A1 with a pair of light chinos when the rain stops.

The chest and shoulders are a little tight - but that is partly due to my recent gym visits. I would not want to have a looser chest/shoulder if it meant longer body/sleeve - so happy!!!
(Oh and it smells LOVELY too!!!)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
And that's the problem with period A-1 photos...they're always in black and white. When we look at the old photos of guys wearing their A-1s, we assume that we're looking at brown jackets. But we may actually be looking at olive jackets or olive jackets mixed with brown...there's no way to know.

Stearmen, you're one up on me. I have never seen a modern photo of an original, olive A-1...Navy or Army. But, heck, there probably aren't more than a half dozen known originals of any color in existence today. I have no doubt that Olive A-1s existed.

AF
Have we had the conversation about green cloth 37J1s? I'm assuming we have ;)

Flashman

Familiar Face
Well, not that any of you care, but I tried to post a pic of me wearing my A1 but I either am doing something wrong or I don't have enough access to post pics. Oh well.
I wore my A1 again today - second day, and when the sun was out for a brief period - and I could not stop smiling!

Last edited:

Flashman

Familiar Face
Thanks for the tip ButteMT61, I posted a couple of comments about my A1 (Aero) coming through finally, but seem to have been ignored, which I put down to non-interest or my being a new poster.
Anyway, here is a photo (REMOVED) I took before heading out for a Sunday afternoon drive and visit to a cafe.

I need to trim down a little and reduce the recent build up of muscle size, so its a full on week of cardio this week in the gym for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great man! I dropped 35 lbs and it makes a huge difference.
And, FWIW, folks need to know that new blood is good and welcomed here. If a post gets ignored, it may be just a slow time, no interest (which is rare) or lack of pics. Visuals move the site. It's not because someone is new. In fact, I bet many are tired of the same old farts posting :)

And A-1's are hot right now.
So... Thanks for posting, and keep 'em coming.
Look forward to more.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yep, I can see the buildup in the shoulders, but it appears to still be a good fit. As you wear the jacket, and it breaks in, it will mold to your body. The tight feeling through the shoulders should then go away. At least that is what has always happened with my jackets. One trick you can use is to wear a sweater or a sweatshirt under the jacket, and do a lot of movement with your arms and shoulders, such as driving a car, or riding a motorcycle. That will loosen it up much faster. Who made the A-1?

Well, the truth is that weren't lots of guys built like him back then wearing military jackets from what I've seen. Most were pretty wiry fellas, so he's going to have that issue with an older design I'd think.

Flashman

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies fellas.
I am SO pleased with jacket and quite like the 'snug' feeling which as Peacoat says will be expected to give way. Its an AERO A1 btw and I spent a lot of time debating whether to go with a 38" chest (my size) or go down a size to 36" which is what i did eventually, as I wanted the body and sleeves to not be too big. I got it right and hopefully with an an increase in cardio I can trim a bit more.
I will get some good wear in the next month or so until the summer and hope to wear it again in Autumn. I am a car enthusiast so my hope is to one day to drive around the countryside in classic open top cars! The A1 just looks so perfect for such wear for me.
Cant stop smiling.
Back to my usual skin for the week (the suit) but cant wait for the weekend when I can wear the A1 again. Will post some more better pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails