Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 1912 Suit/Tie/Boater you could wear 100 years later and look at home.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sharp

His buddy is lookin' sharp too. Just look at that high neck collar. Nice duds :eusa_clap

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I Got Curious

A little about the man in the photo, from Wiki:

In the 1932 election, Clark was elected to the United States Senate as a Democrat. Clark was re-elected in the 1938 election, but lost his bid for renomination in the 1944 election.
Clark is perhaps most famous for declaring that Emperor Hirohito should be hanged as a war criminal on the senate floor on January 29, 1944. He died in 1954, while serving as a judge.

C000440.jpg
(U.S. Senate Historical Office)

His father, Champ Clark, in 1921. Quite a hat, a fuzzy topper. Dandyism was a family trait, apparently. :
509px-JBClark.jpg

(Library of Congress)
His father was Speaker of the House of Representatives:
Clark's Speakership was notable for two things: First, Clark's skill from 1910 to 1914 in maintaining party unity to block William Howard Taft's legislation and then pass Wilson's; and second, Clark's splitting of the party in 1917 and 1918 when he opposed Wilson's decision to bring the United States into World War I.
In addition, Clark opposed the Federal Reserve Act, which concentrated financial power in the hands of eastern banks (mostly centered in New York City). Clark's opposition to the Federal Reserve Act is said to be the reason why Missouri is the home of two Federal Reserve Banks (one in St. Louis and one in Kansas City).

cookie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
So a young man from Missouri, in Baltimore for a Dem convention, wears an expensive, unusual, stylish suit. I'm thinking Dandy.

This comment presupposes the Democratic Party is a working class outfit?...tout ca change.....

scotrace said:
Here's the real stunner. Marc Chevalier was kind enough to pass along that the summer suit Mr. Clark is wearing is made of Palm Beach cloth! Yes, it was around in 1912, though not cheap.

I recently posted a PB jacket in a non-white colour...did not know it was so early.

BTW does anyone find the clover style lapels to be something that has never been seen again in men's fashion but which is an interesting twist?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
More Palm Beach Info Via my friend Mr. C.

It was first woven by William Nutter, of Maine's Sanford Mills and Goodall Worsted Co., in 1906: a mixture of cotton and mohair wool. The cloth was sold by the mills directly to tailors and suit manufacturers. It wasn't until 1931 that Sanford Mills and Goodall Worsted Co. began to manufacture their own suits made from the cloth. These were the first official "Palm Beach suits by Goodall".

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
cookie said:
This comment presupposes the Democratic Party is a working class outfit?...tout ca change.....

I intensely dislike being ascribed sentiments I don't express. I should have simply said "political convention." It matters not which one. Shorpy's ID line mentioned it.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Dandyism was a family trait, apparently. :
509px-JBClark.jpg
Great info, Scott, and wonderful pictures. I wonder if perhaps the ribbon running across his tie was fastened to a either a monocle or a lorgnette?

Geesie

Practically Family
That hat is truly appalling. It's something I'd expect from someone trying to be a raver but somehow not really knowing what it's all about. Not something I'd expect from a Gilded Age politician.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Or match safe, snuff box, coin... :)
Sad, isn't it, how some men are so obsessed with filling every little pocket with gewgaws and gimcracks that they must resort to hanging things from ribbons around their necks?

lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly said:
Sad, isn't it, how some men are so obsessed with filling every little pocket with gewgaws and gimcracks that they must resort to hanging things from ribbons around their necks?

lol

When you have to start color coding the ribbons to tell the gewgaw from the gimcrack......then you have a problem.

Besides, matches are handy ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Ain't it great. I just dug out a summer weight wool suit from the late 20s, and its pocket is similarly angled.

Anyone else notice the moth hole on the right side of the collar, near the lapel?

bk

no, but maybe if we post it one more time even larger.....I could see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy