Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 1912 Suit/Tie/Boater you could wear 100 years later and look at home.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
I think I scrolled down too far...to the Bedu guy. That's how to dress!

Too right! At the start of the summer I was seriously considering the merits of the cotton distasha — for home use to begin with. Then we didn't have a summer...

Next year, effendi!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Creeping Past said:
I always thought LOTC was started by Lindsay Hutton, the original Fanzine King.

I believe Morrissey was one of the founding members, although it could have just become an urban legend :p

And Scotrace, thank you! Much appreciated!

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
In the first post I like the way the man on the left is dressed, but I wonder if it was the custom of that era to press a crease in the sleeves of the jacket. If so, does anyone know when that changed?

Thank you, Jim.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
JimInSoCalif said:
In the first post I like the way the man on the left is dressed, but I wonder if it was the custom of that era to press a crease in the sleeves of the jacket. If so, does anyone know when that changed?

Thank you, Jim.

It was customary to crease the arms. It was done up through the '50s, don't know when it died.

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
It was customary to crease the arms. It was done up through the '50s, don't know when it died.

I suppose that it, like many details in men's clothing, faded out over a period of time. I am under the impression that the cut off from something being fashionable to unfashionable in women's clothing was much more abrupt than it was with men's. I don't think men have ever had to worry about which color will be the 'in color' next Spring. Who decides this stuff I wonder?

I bought a new sport coat in 1956 and the cleaners pressed a crease in the sleeve. I lived with my uncle at the time and he suggested that I have it repressed so I did.

I don't think I ever had another cleaners press a crease in a sleeve. I remember the year and the coat only because that was the year that I got out of the Army. I wonder if schools even teach anything about the Korean War.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
mike said:
Pardon me in advance, what's ROTC? All I know is LOTC, which stands for "Legion of the Cramped" - the Cramps fan club that was started by Morrissey in the late 1970's :p

As someone already said “Reserve Officer Training Corps” in reference to the fact the photo says they are army students and someone else commented that they were not wearing uniforms i.e how could they be Army students. My comment was to say they could easily be Army student in that time frame at Columbia.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
thunderw21 said:
It's an enduring style, for some.

charlesLL_468x553.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I ask for my vintage jackets to be creased. They used to say "If they come out that way they aren't done correctly." But now they understand.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just reviewing the Palm Beach fabric thread, and seeing that it was only introduced in 1911, and surmising that in 1911 it was only the familiar white fabric, I would really, really doubt it. But I guess Dinerman is the ultimate authority.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Especially early on, when the white fabric was not sartorially accepted in northern states, they produced a number of non-white fabrics. So it wouldn't surprise me.
There were a number of similar summerweight fabrics coming on the market at that same time, though, so it's difficult to say for sure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24