Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 and G-1 Jackets for $99 (Marked down from $249-$289)

Fiver64

Practically Family
quality vs. quantity

Thanks for sharing your find and enthusiasm, However (yes, there's always a "but..........") if you are looking for other members opinions, I respectfully submit that you are getting what you pay for. Says it's lamb........that usually equals "thin" and "cheap" and tends to be the preferred leather in most department store jackets. A seller can say what they want as far as "original retail price." It means nothing. Keep in mind that they are STILL making money at selling it for $99.

As I doubt you would be happy when you get the jacket, I humbly recommend that you save your money. Decent deals can be had for higher quality (new and used) on Ebay and craigslist. Expect to pay at least $300 for anything of respectable quality, new. Look for the sleeper deals on ebay or pick a nice one off the classifieds on TFL. In the end, I'd rather see you happy, than burned.

Check past posts and read about what's correct and recommended about either jacket.

Good luck!

Fiver64

Practically Family
Again, not to sound like a snob........ it depends on who the targeted customers are. FL tends to draw more of a afficiando-type crowd, with lots of experiences and sound advice. Customer reviews are deceptive because it only gives an idea of those who felt inclined to submit a review. If the customer base happens to be folks looking for "budget" priced jackets, then it's what they expect, so they may be satisfied. If you are looking for Aero, Eastman or even Cooper, etc. quality for $99, you WILL be disappointed.

So, in answer to your question....... I believe that you need to look at any anonymous review with suspicion. Who really wrote them? Was it a shady dealer trying to bolster trust in his stuff by submitting his own reviews? Was it legit customers who only wanted a $99 jacket? But don't for a minute fool yourself into thinking that you are getting any sort of authenticity, quality construction or a garment that will be something to pass onto your children for a fraction of the cost. Remember the old saying......... "if it looks to good to be true............."

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Thanks for helpin' me out fellas. I appreciate it. Without your advice, I probably would've gone for the jackets and then would've spent the money and be very unhappy with what I spent the money on. It just seemed too good. I mean $99 for an A-2! I also happened to look at a picture of it on the 'bay and it doesn't look that great, to me anyway. Thanks guys for bringing me to my senses. I'll keep on searchin'.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
The local aviation museum here in Dover sells these same jackets in their gift shop. They are indeed a lesser quality leather. They retail for 99.00 there. I would pass on them.

Fiver64

Practically Family
stick with proven brands

I realize that cash can be tight for all of us. The fact that you are seeking advice on FL tells me that you are a person who does not want crap. You've come to the right place!

Depending on what you can afford to spend, there is much available. You have to decide if authenticity or general style is your goal. If you want authenticity (like basic WW2 era specs) you will spend $300 (on the low end) to find a nice goatskin A-2. Cooper (IMHO) as far as construction (not authenticty) is of decent quality. COOPER can also be found used all over ebay, in a good selection of sizes. They represent a standard design that had been re-accepted by the military in the 70's (I believe....help me out here) but do tend to have fuller cuts than original A-2s. I have sold and purchased several over the years for $75-150 USED, in excellent shape. I feel....... that for a first purchase of an acceptable A-2 general look (not detailed) that Ebay will give the best bang for the buck, but it may take some time before the right size comes through. A-2s tend to run snug, so pay attention to the measurements!

Stick with known names....... (in no particular order) Aero, Eastman, Gibson and Barnes, Real McCoy, US Wings, US Authentic, Lost Worlds, Cooper, Avirex......... and a handfull of others. There are even some older store names (Sears, JC Penny, etc) who made some decent pieces in the past. In any case, there are a couple of BASIC things you can look for that will help you find better-made A-2s. Avoid most jackets that have maps, or gaudy designs on the lining. Look for plain colored, non-padded linings. Real A-2s don't have side entry pockets. The biggest and easiest to spot "tell-tale-sign" is the 1-piece back. You just have to decide what's important to you.

The "feel" is another part. I prefer horsehide, but have found steerhide nice too. I would generally avoid lamb unless you can actually feel the weight. It often rips easily and is commonly used on cheap coats. Goat has a nice drape to it and seems to require less break-in time. You can find hundreds of great threads on A-2s on FL. You might even enjoy boning up on these, and therefore gaining a better appreciation for the history that you might be wearing!

Best of luck, and have fun on your search!

442RCT

One of the Regulars
Orchard M/C Leather has a pretty sweet deal being offered on ebay. They have their A-2 goat and G-1 jackets on sale for a BIN $ 110+ 15.30 shipping.

The G-1 has been given pretty favorable reviews by the VLJ guys who've recently purchased them, VLJ guys know leather jackets, and for me, this is a pretty good endorsement. ;) I don't even need another G-1, but felt like buying another one just because it was such a good deal.:eusa_doh:

"My G-1 came today. I have returned it for a larger size.

Please let me say this: Judging from what I saw today, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of these jackets. If the larger jacket turns out to be as good as the one I got today...and I've no reason to think it won't...it will likely become my most worn G-1...hands down."

The bonus about these jackets is they are factory new and the factory is working with the buyer in regards to sizing. :p
Available in all sizes upon request!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
@ Ace: Dear friend. let me give you some solid advice.
I was once where you are now - I wanted a A2 jacket so badly, but I did not know where to look - and I did not have the money.
I did what most people do, bought the first one I could afford - and got the bug! I began to read about the jacket, to compare my "A2" to the real ones.
Should never had done that!
I bought one "A2" after the other during the years - allways trying to explain to my wife - and myself - that THIS was the right one. And the last one.

It wasn't - because I had not done what you are able to do today. Listen to advice, scan the market via the internet - and buy the best one right away.

If I had not spend a lot of money on different "almost original A2s" (with sidepockets, two pannel back with pinup, escapemaps inside and what have you!!!) during the last 20 years - I could have had me a couple of originals today.
My advice to you is - scan the market, read all you can here and other sites and go for the best - once and for all.

Good luck, my friend!:)

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
@Spitfire!

Thank you for the SOLID advice! It made me feel a whole lot better. I now am able to get the US Authentic A-2.:) I have reworked budget plans and all that.

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Hi
May be you can help me, I'm looking for an 92' issue A-2 jacket from Orchard, I've hear they are better quality and wwII style than coopers and the other brands, and I really their style, but I' ve been told there are some new A-2 production from Orchard that even have the 92' milspec tag but they are lesser quality than the authentics 92 issue...
So I'd like to know how to spot an authentic 92' Orchard from the new productions.. and what are the differences between those two jackets.

This is the jacket from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320734497606&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thank you very much for your time

Regards

Jorge

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Jorge, if you are looking for an actually issued A-2, I would suggest a carefull and patient search of ebay. By definition, it will be a used jacket, but it will be real. I would stay away from all the less expensive mil spec jackets, although there may be one or two nice ones out there.

The three jackets to consider are Saddlery, Avirex and Orchard/Branded Leather. These are the only three companies that had USAF contracts before 1998. I wouldn't buy any issued jacket that was made after 1998. This is because the leather quality of the pre 1999 jackets was far superior to what is being required by the Air Force since 1998. So keep it simple. Look for a 1988 Saddlery, a 1992 Orchard, a 1996 Saddlery or a 1998 Avirex. Forget everything else. And, as I mentioned in another thread, be carefull of the Orchard. Most of their jackets currently on ebay were not issued and were, in fact, recently produced.

The good news is that your size is easy to find (as compared to the size 46R or 48R that I require). I predict that it won't take long for you to find a nice issued A-2. To make your search easier, here's the tags you should look for. Remember, the Saddlery will be available in two contracts. The tag I have pictured below if from the 1996 contract. The 1988 Saddlery will have a very similar tag but it will contain a number that begins with "DLA 100 88...."

Good luck, and show us photos of what you find!

trees026-1.jpg

carolinagame058.jpg

Picture-2.jpg

AF

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I have not seen the new Orchard a-2s in the flesh that are advertised by one seller on ebay, so I can't comment on their quality. However the link shown on this thread is from a seller who sells a variety of vintage jackets so I wouldn't be so skeptical. I myself have obtained two Orchard a-2s from ebay over the last couple years and they are genuine issue. Mine have the cotton type lining just like the one Atticus owns. Orchard did make a small amount of a-2s for the USAF that had a shiny polyester blend liner. The DLA number on those ends in 0346. The cotton lining ones end in 0346A. How do I know this? I was a sergeant in supply at bases in England and Texas. And another thing-there were orange label Coopers that were issued in the '90s. The label on those states "Defense Personnel Support Center" while the commercial orange label Coopers say "Defense Contract Division". Another Fedora Lounge member is a USAF vet as well-Michael Carter, and he has pics posted of his on the thread "Current USAF Issue A-2s".

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
...And another thing-there were orange label Coopers that were issued in the '90s. The label on those states "Defense Personnel Support Center" while the commercial orange label Coopers say "Defense Contract Division". Another Fedora Lounge member is a USAF vet as well-Michael Carter, and he has pics posted of his on the thread "Current USAF Issue A-2s".

I guess one lives and learns! I have never seen an issued Orange Tag Cooper until now. I just PMed Mr. Carter to see if he would post a photo of the spec tag in his A-2. I'm interested in knowing if his jacket is from a third Cooper contract that I've never seen or is it part of one of the two Saddlery contracts that I'm already familiar with.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
...Mine have the cotton type lining just like the one Atticus owns. Orchard did make a small amount of a-2s for the USAF that had a shiny polyester blend liner. The DLA number on those ends in 0346. The cotton lining ones end in 0346A.
I have always puzzled about the "A" at the end of the DLA number in my jacket. I speculated it had to do with the Orchard's interior pocket that didn't exist in either of the other Brands.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass