Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 ideas

the loco

One of the Regulars
One of the styles that I should have is the A-2 jacket. Some of the options are:

- Aero 42-18775-P in seal with rusty knits and stitching, I think the combination looks quite well. Not sure if they use the same goat as in the M422a, was blown away the first time I saw that leather. Vicenza is another option. Even the standard hh, looks great judging by the photos posted by another lounger.

- Simmons A-2 in brown Shinki with brown knits, I think this looks very elegant.

I don't want to go over CAD 1000 (which is around GBP 600 / $750), are there other good options to consider? What color combinations are the best? Is goat a better leather than hh?

Since Aero or Simmons already have fine craftsmanship and use top leathers, is it worth going for an warhawk hh Eastman A-2 instead?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
If you are looking to spend $750 (U.S. dollars), I would suggest custom made U.S. Authentic A-2 in horsehide, or goat. They promise that you will be happy, and will work with you to make that happen.

www.flightjacket.com

the loco

One of the Regulars
If you are looking to spend $750 (U.S. dollars), I would suggest custom made U.S. Authentic A-2 in horsehide, or goat. They promise that you will be happy, and will work with you to make that happen.

www.flightjacket.com

Very interesting, didn't hear before about that brand. It should be very well made, since it's from the US. Just wondering how the leather compares with UK based producers. In the video it looks quite nice, tbh.

the loco

One of the Regulars
Eastman make far more accurate A-2s than US Authentic and you might consider either one of their house A2s or a second hand original maker one.

With second hand there's something that I don't feel comfortable wearing second hand jackets, not sure why.

From what I have read, Eastman and Goodwear make very accurate repro's. Aero must be good too.

Cocker

Practically Family
Aero is good, indeed. The seal/rust combo is terrific, that's how I got my 42-18775? The goat sounds like a good option, supple and tough. The jerky HH is really nice in term of grain and draping, but the is somewhat "fragile". Might be a good thing if you're looking for a jacket that could look used quicker, might not be a good one if you're afraid of surface scratches.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Very interesting, didn't hear before about that brand. It should be very well made, since it's from the US. Just wondering how the leather compares with UK based producers. In the video it looks quite nice, tbh.

I would contact Shaul at U.S. Authentic. Send him an email, ask questions about sizing, options, etc. He is prompt at answering, and very helpful. I bought a G-1 from him. Very happy with it. If I ever get a custom made jacket, it will be from U.S. Authentic (www.flightjacket.com)

seres

A-List Customer
The Aero A-2 in dark seal with rust knits is stunning! I have the 42-18775-P since that style fits my body style perfectly. But I would consider the other Aero A-2 patterns as well, as some may fit your particular body style better than others. The Aero A-2 is slightly over budget, but it would be worth saving up for.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Of the two, Aero's 42-18775-P is historically accurate - they overhauled their A-2 range a few years ago to nail down the patterns - so, as one of the older contracts, it will be slightly looser. A rule of thumb is that the earlier the contract, the neater the fit. If my memory's correct, the SB A-2 uses Aero's old house pattern, so it'll have a quite boxy, roomy fit.

Last edited:

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Go for Eastman, Aero , or Good Wear...you cannot fail.
A few great A-2's on the bay right now...very good bargains as well...if the size fits.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Before you make a final decision, you owe it to yourself to contact Shaul at U.S. Authentic via email. They have so many options...leather choice, colors, features, etc.
The quality is top notch! They might even have a standard off the rack A-2 that would be exactly what you are looking for. That would save you some money.

I found the support offered by Shaul to be superior to any other company that I have dealt with.

No, I am not being paid by them. Just relaying my personal experience.

Cocker

Practically Family
I must say Holly at Aero has been a real charm to deal with. She answered my multiple emails withing hours and was really helpful with all my questions regarding the sizing of the jacket and the different contracts. I was so pleased with the quality of the jacket and the service that one of my friend decided to take the step and ordered an M422 with them. He got some measurements wrong about the sleeve length, and they took his jacket back and modified it at no cost, all in a couple weeks time.

Technonut

Practically Family
Before you make a final decision, you owe it to yourself to contact Shaul at U.S. Authentic via email. They have so many options...leather choice, colors, features, etc.
The quality is top notch! They might even have a standard off the rack A-2 that would be exactly what you are looking for. That would save you some money.

I found the support offered by Shaul to be superior to any other company that I have dealt with.

No, I am not being paid by them. Just relaying my personal experience.

Sure sounds like you're being paid by them... What, 3 times now? ;) US Authentic is a 'good' entry-level jacket, which lacks in detail and quality compared to Good Wear, Eastman, and Aero. A simple search on this forum for US Authentic will show that, as well as many sizing issues, and problems with their non-returnable custom jackets. You really need to invest in a premium-maker jacket to have a basis of comparison, or at least know of the quality and detail you've been missing out on before touting mediocre jackets to folks who come to the Lounge looking for high-quality goods in most cases...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure sounds like you're being paid by them... What, 3 times now? ;) US Authentic is a 'good' entry-level jacket, which lacks in detail and quality compared to Good Wear, Eastman, and Aero. A simple search on this forum for US Authentic will show that, as well as many sizing issues, and problems with their non-returnable custom jackets. You really need to invest in a premium-maker jacket to have a basis of comparison, or at least know of the quality and detail you've been missing out on before touting mediocre jackets to folks who come to the Lounge looking for high-quality goods in most cases...

I agree 100% with this. US Authentic jackets are far from accurate repros and the OP needs to be given a range of options. BTW. There is nothing wrong with second hand jackets and if there were collectors wold not be buying and wearing original A-2s!

Technonut

Practically Family
What color combinations are the best? Is goat a better leather than hh?

As previously posted, the rust knits on an Aero contract makes for a nice contrast against seal brown. :) As for goat vs HH, goatskin is known for it's durability, as evidenced by the number of surviving originals still in very good condition after all of these years. Horsehide is generally quite sturdy, and will show creasing and aging more quickly than goatskin. It can be grainy, or smooth, whichever you like (either would be period-correct), and also depends upon the type sourced (Italian / Japanese / American, etc.).

I would recommend browsing pics of the different hide types / contracts on the Good Wear site http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html to see what grabs you, and then check if similar types are available at Eastman or Aero. ;)

Acme Depot also has loads of detailed pics of originals to look at, which may give you some ideas, and is a valuable source of info regarding A-2 jackets:

http://www.acmedepot.com/

BTW. There is nothing wrong with second hand jackets and if there were collectors wold not be buying and wearing original A-2s!

As one who has owned 4 2nd-hand Good Wears now, I feel that they are indeed one of the best values available for the $$ out there. Most folks take damn good care of them (all of mine were in practically like-new condition), and they can be obtained on eBay (or here on the Lounge's classifieds at times), quite regularly for around 1/2 the cost or less of a new one ($500.00-750.00 USD in many cases), with no two year wait. ;) Just open good communications with the seller, and double-check measurements. You will be rewarded with a VERY detailed A-2 made from the finest materials, by the artistic hands of John Chapman. :cool:

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Owning a U.S. Authentic jacket gives me first hand experience with their quality, and fit. Not only that, but their customer service is exceptional.

I thought this was an open forum, to encourage the exchange of ideas. Not to slam another person's thoughts, ideas, or suggestions. How about you all calm down, and allow the original post author to simply make up his own mind?

I see some here need help in the humor department...

Parking brake set. Parking checklist complete.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner