Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 patch dilemma (first world problem)

Stand By

One Too Many
@Deacon, thanks very much for that! I'll try it and let you all know how I got on.

@Stand By, BR jackets are really nice. I'm loving my nylon ones.

How many nylon BR jackets do you have, Big J, and which ones???
I only have the L2-A (dark blue) as personal reference and I know from that that the nylon is special and a cut above previous experiences/expectations. The attention to detail in the construction is ridiculously good too and one gets what one pays for. It's just such a faithful repro of a jacket, so I'm excited to have the B-15D for this winter (as Charles said in the thread about the B-10/B-15, the sage green seems the most contemporary of the colours and yet is vintage 1952 and I'm looking forward to that warm collar as it'll be my first jacket with a mouton collar), especially as it was HPA's last one in my size and they won't be getting any more in that style/colour for the foreseeable future of the next two years, if ever, and I'm watching the tracking on my parcel (it's heading through NY, NY right now ...) like a kid watches Santa on his sleigh at Christmas on NORAD!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hi Stand By!
You've made a good choice, you won't be disappointed. And Charles is a real gentleman to deal with, so it feels good to do business with him, right?

I bought an L-2b (the green one) and an MA-1.
Both are great jackets, and the nylon feels substantial compared to Alphas from the mall. Most importantly, the MA-1 has the correct wool batting interlining, meaning the whole jacket hangs properly because of its weight, and it looks good.
I originally thought about patching them up (I got a picture of Robin Olds in Thailand wearing his L-2b with an 8th TFW patch on the chest) but in Robin's biography, it describes him having the patches ripped off his flight suit on arrival in Thailand, so I decided against it (I'll save the patches to cover any rips or damage the nylon shells pick up).
And that's my biggest fear- I love a cigar, but Japan is a smokers paradise! Way too many people carelessly waving lit cigarettes around on the street (and Japan seems to have a love-affair with post-industrial sharp edged street furniture).
These jackets (like all flight jackets) look great with a white t-shirt and jeans, or a blue oxford shirt and khakis.
At my age, and with my balding head and mustache, I look more 'Village People' than skin-head romper stomper.
It a small reward for having been sick- I earned some over-priced nylon jackets IMHO, and I don't regret it.
If I can ever figure out how to post photos on this version of the Lounge, I will! I am a Luddite!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR