Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple questions from a new guy...

Lawrence Ullman

New in Town
I'm kind of a newbie myself, but this excellent forum has gotten me off to a good start. (Much to my wife's chagrin.) I recently scored a vintage Dobbs fedora that looks just like the one in the Gibson video clip, except mine's olive green with a black band. (Great color!) It was a $25 Buy It Now deal on eBay, and I snatched it up. It's a quality fur felt hat, in perfect condition, with its original box. There are lots of Dobbs stingy brim fedoras on auction, so if you're patient, I bet you can score one in black. But first, do determine your hat size by measuring the circumference of your head. A hat that doesn't fit isn't going to do you much good.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I recently scored a vintage Dobbs fedora that looks just like the one in the Gibson video clip, except mine's olive green with a black band. (Great color!) It was a $25 Buy It Now deal on eBay, and I snatched it up. It's a quality fur felt hat, in perfect condition, with its original box. There are lots of Dobbs stingy brim fedoras on auction, so if you're patient, I bet you can score one in black. But first, do determine your hat size by measuring the circumference of your head. A hat that doesn't fit isn't going to do you much good.

Yep, that's the ticket. Welcome to the Lounge ... :yo:

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the advice, guys. My grandfather had an old fedora I wish I could get my hands on, since he doesn't like wearing it too much. It's close, but it's not that nice of a hat, but it would suffice until I could get exactly what I want. I'll start hitting up ebay to get an idea.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
OK, so I just measured, I'm a 7-3/8. I'm a quarter size larger than I thought I was... That explains why my grandfather's 7-1/4 didn't fit... Haha.

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
I don't know how large your "dark room" is but if you have thrift shops or estate/content sales in your area you may be able to score a decent hat there.

This hat is a black fur felt Knox Premier stingy brim (1 3/4") that I found a a local house contents sale for $5. It sounds like the kind of hat you're looking for (sorry...not for sale). The deals are out there, it's a matter of time and patience.

knox1.png

And, personally, I like newby questions...I'm still very much one myself.

I just reread this post and HOLY SMOKES! That was a heck of a deal. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but I'd have bought it, because I'd still look OK in it...

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
That's true, but I look best in black and orange/red. Grey doesn't usually do a lot for me. I like to keep the color to my shirt, everything else be a neutral color, specifically beige or black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy