Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Different Dingus

Imahomer

Practically Family
Yea, I thought this was just a one time, one bird thing. However, perhaps it is a test, for a run of them. The original bird run (I like the way that sounds... bird run) was pretty quick, but also pretty successful.

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
Well, if another series is cast, I want at least two. (I'd prefer unplated.) One for myself, one for my friend the P.I. that I used to work with, and maybe even another for another fellow fan of Dashiell Hammett. So, with Andykev and myself, there are at least three, and maybe four (or more) needed.

Hey, MK: If you do make another series, please be so kind as to start a new thread. I'd hate to miss out (again) because I missed a message buried on the third page...

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by MK
No plans for another run at this time.

As for keeping up......just click on "view new posts" .....in the upper right hand corner of the main page. It will list all the posts since your last visit.

That is a VERY handy box. I click on it first thing, each time I visit the site.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
falcon.jpg

You can have this one.....for only 8 million:

The Maltese Falcon
Remember the 1941 Humphrey Bogart film, "The Maltese Falcon"? In the film, detective Sam Spade sought the Maltese Falcon-a priceless golden bird studded with gems. In the movie, the bird turned out to be a worthless hunk of lead. Ronald Winston has recently created the Harry Winston Falcon. He bought the original prop at auction two years ago for $398,000. He recreated the bird with 10 pounds of gold and it sits on a malachite base. It has two Burma ruby cabochon eyes and interchangeable coral and gold claws. From the falcon's beak hangs a 42 carat diamond. It took two years to finish, and the cost is $8 million.

Too bad it is the wrong sculpture.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
There were at least two Maltese Falcon's used for the shooting of the movie, and one of them is in the Warner Bros. Museum on the studio lot (they also have Sam's piano from "Casablanca" and a lot of other neat stuff). The studio archivist compared their Falcon with stills from the movie and the film itself, carefully comparing the scratch marks on the statuette with the knife strokes Sydney Greenstreet makes when he's examining it. He concluded that it matched the one seen in still photos, but not the actual film. So he theorizes that it was used either for an earlier take or rehearsal, and was then replaced by another one for the shot that appears in the film.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Both the falcon and the piano at Warner's are on loan from Dr. Milan, who bought them some years ago. You can tell that the one on display is the one that Greenstreet uses for the reveal because of the bent tail feather. At some point it must have been dropped.

The good doctor has good many things in his collection, including the papers of transit, and original scripts signed by the cast. He also told me the other lead falcon was bought by William Conrad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy