Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A few questions for those across the pond

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Now that we have a fare number of members here that are from Europe (I'm most interested in GB), I have a few questions.

How are you guys treated when it comes to wearing hats?

Do you see many people wearing hats (felt or panama style)?

Do you see anbody wearing cowboy hats?

Can you bring me a good vintage umbrella when you come to LA California... ;)
I have a good brigg, though I would still like a tube umbrella, John Steed Style.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A few questions for those across the pond- Hats

Hi, BellyTank here- one of Paddy's lot but he doesn't know me as BellyTank.
Martin's the name.
I lived in London for 7 yrs and it's a very anonymous place- nobody cares what you wear- unless they like it and strike up a conversation of course. You get all sorts in London. Now I live in Denmark and a lot of guys here wear Fedoras and other felt styles- lotta berets here too. Young guys here who wear Fedoras, etc. here tend to wear a duster coat too- I don't like that look so much. But to answer your question specific to where I live- people think these guys are Nerds/Dorks and unfortunately, they mostly do look dorky. The Danes are a much more self conscious bunch.
Where does the" felt hat and duster" look come from anyhoo?

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I'd say the look came from cowboys, and the fact that I personally think that a duster and felt hat would look pretty good together. While a duster is different from a trench coat, they're both full length jackets, and I think a fedora to top them off would be just right. But thats just my opinion.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Re: A few questions for those across the pond- Hats

Originally posted by BellyTank
Hi, BellyTank here- one of Paddy's lot but he doesn't know me as BellyTank.
Martin's the name.
I

G'day mate! good to see you here and a BIG WELCOME! and even better in July when we managed to meet up (I see the old 38 has gone to Steve and made his day for him!). Things are fine at my end btw! just no purchases until the job situation is resolved. And...WHAT a pen-name!! lol. And make sure you bring your experience and enthusiasm for WW2 things into that room too, as your presence would definitely enhance it!

Martin's quite right guys, in London "Anything Goes"...almost, as it's a separate country to the rest of the UK! But, out in the provinces, in the other smaller towns and cities, you can draw attention to yourself wearing a Fedora, just because it is different, and the 'red necks' don't know how to take that, as they are all so tribal.

Some of my pals feel I can be a wee bit eccentric, just because I'm not into wearing my shirt hanging out of my pants, and old baseball hat and jeans! well, that's just not me, I actually feel that it makes others feel uncomfortable when they see someone who does not conform to what they think is the right thing to wear. Maybe I would feel the same in the middle of punk rockers, people are tribal at the end of the day and are attracted and feel comfortable with those that look, speak and think the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR