Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A greeting for the hat lovers!

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

I am a new poster, but I've been following many of the discussions here with great interest.

I have always enjoyed wearing hats, from a very young age, and only recently have felt compelled to really "get into" hats again.

My only hats consist of a truly old "Indy" fedora I bought new the summer Raiders of the Lost Ark was released. I believe I was in seventh(?) grade and remember wearing it everywhere!! I wore it to school, and out to play, and on stage "jamming" with my music teacher Mr. Staples. Good times.

For the curious, it is an Eddy Bros. Lost Ark fedora that, at the time, WAS the Indy hat to me. Even though it had the wrong crease/bash I WAS Indy when I wore it.

The only other hat I own is a trendy sort of stingy brim "fedora" that I bought for fun on a whim. But they rekindled my interest, so all to the better.

A hat I no longer own, but truly miss, was my dove grey Stetson fedora I wore to the girls treat dance my freshman year high school. Beautiful hat, I looked AWESOME -to use the vernacular of the period.

Thanks to the forum, I've returned to dressing the way I enjoy and dressing "better" than in the past. Seeing as I teach music to 4th and 5th graders at 6 different schools, jeans and casual buttoned shirts were the order. It's fun to wear slacks and dress shirts again, alas, my suits have been outgrown around my equator, but through diligence, they will make a triumphant return!!

Thank you for your time, I look forward to spending far too much of my own reading and learning.

dvilla

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge David!:eusa_clap
It's a great community of folks that are more than willing to share & learn. Pull up a seat, sit back & enjoy the conversations & community.

Cheers!

Dan

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge David!

You'll soon be addicted though. Trust me.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Great introduction, David. I'm sure these folks will make you feel as welcome as they have me.

Stingy brims are my son's favorites, and he looks great in them, suit or casual. My ears and nose stick out so far I like a little more coverage:)

What can you remember about that dove grey Stetson?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Welcome, David! I got a kick out of your comment that your earliest hat is "truly old". It just illustrates the wide range of ages we have here in the lounge, and the perspective our ages give us.

I was born in 1950 and most of the hats I own are at least 40 years old, which would certainly be "pre-Indy". Heck, I have a black Beaver western hat I bought in the late 60's. So to me, "truly old" would be some decades prior to the Indiana Jones pictures.

That's simply a source of a chuckle. I'm sure we'll enjoy having you here - and I hope you enjoy us.

D

DBFedora

Welcome...

from another who makes his living helping others discover the richness music brings to our lives. Kids (and adults, too, in many ways) need folks like you to lead and mentor them in so many ways. As a parent, I appreciate it when my kids' teachers dress themselves in a professional and sharp manner. I want my kids to see this as the norm, not the alternative. Keep it up. You might just find that the kids respond to you better as well and you'll be able to get more out of them, too. Keep it up. :fedora:

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim said:
Welcome, David! I got a kick out of your comment that your earliest hat is "truly old". It just illustrates the wide range of ages we have here in the lounge, and the perspective our ages give us.

I was born in 1950 and most of the hats I own are at least 40 years old, which would certainly be "pre-Indy". Heck, I have a black Beaver western hat I bought in the late 60's. So to me, "truly old" would be some decades prior to the Indiana Jones pictures.

That's simply a source of a chuckle. I'm sure we'll enjoy having you here - and I hope you enjoy us.[/QUOTE

Hey now, I realize my statement could be taken in that manner, however, I should have said that my first hat was one of the first "Raiders of the Lost Ark" knock offs. :D

Bunch of smartypants up over in here.....lol

dv

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
DBFedora said:
from another who makes his living helping others discover the richness music brings to our lives. Kids (and adults, too, in many ways) need folks like you to lead and mentor them in so many ways. As a parent, I appreciate it when my kids' teachers dress themselves in a professional and sharp manner. I want my kids to see this as the norm, not the alternative. Keep it up. You might just find that the kids respond to you better as well and you'll be able to get more out of them, too. Keep it up. :fedora:

I always put myself together quite well at the beginning of the year - it helps set a tone, and the students pay attention. It gets tough when you're dealing with 6 different elementary schools, travelling every day, and getting rosin or valve oil all over your clothes:mad:

I'm trying to end the year on a high note (pun intended), as I may be changing schools and going full time at a K-8. I want the kids to remember a good year, and a good teacher.

dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy