Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hippy era tie?

Feraud

Bartender
..or some pre psychedelic era vintage rarity?
DSC06731.jpg

Whaddya think? Has anyone ever seen the likes of this before?
All comments and critiques are welcome.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Why would a hippie wear a tie?

Definitely looks like tie-dye to me!
excerpt from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Tie-dye is a process of resist dyeing textiles or clothing which is made from knit or woven fabric, usually cotton; typically using bright colors. It is a modern version of traditional dyeing methods used in many cultures throughout the world.[1] ....

Tie-dyeing was known in the US by 1909.[5] Later in the 20th century, tie-dye became associated with the Hippie movement.

Any label at all? Whats the material? Pics of how the tie ends are finished might be helpful. As per above in the wiki tie-dye was known in the us at the turn of the last century. The pattern looks to be sixty's, but I don't remember ever seeing one. Why would a hippie wear a tie?

just_me

Practically Family
Back in the late 60s, the guys I knew would go to the lower east side (NYC) and buy second hand ties from the 1940s for about .50 each out of big boxes filled with used ties. lol No one had tie dyed ties.

That tie could be from the 60s or not.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hippy - tie

Surely you remember the "Peacock Revolution"? That's when guys who were definitely NOT hippies wanted to dress as flamboyantly as hippies, but still dress "conservatively". I know, an oxymoron, but it was common. That's when those awful neat but humongous sideburns and Tony Orlando mustaches became popular, and all those grossly over the top gaudy tacky 70's fashions. This is probably from that misbegotten phase.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
To meet with a PM.

Bregg_Peter_John_Lennon_and_his_wife_Yoko_Ono_in_Canada_as_par_263_55.jpg
Lennon's tie is typically too wide as most '70's ties were, but it's a good length and the knot isn't too big. Also it appears that he is wearing a peak lapel coat.

Right tie length, peak lapels, windsor glasses...Since we have several well regarded gentlemen here who wear their hair long let's let the old boy have a posthumous FL membership.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sefton said:
Lennon's tie is typically too wide as most '70's ties were, but it's a good length and the knot isn't too big. Also it appears that he is wearing a peak lapel coat.

Right tie length, peak lapels, windsor glasses...Since we have several well regarded gentlemen here who wear their hair long let's let the old boy have a posthumous FL membership

I second that emotion!

-dixon cannon

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Surely you remember the "Peacock Revolution"? That's when guys who were definitely NOT hippies wanted to dress as flamboyantly as hippies, but still dress "conservatively". I know, an oxymoron, but it was common. That's when those awful neat but humongous sideburns and Tony Orlando mustaches became popular, and all those grossly over the top gaudy tacky 70's fashions. This is probably from that misbegotten phase.

I say not thick and spongy enough for seventies.

And while you are correct about the seventies trend, the tie was not unknown to the hippies and hipsters. Remember, there was a big thirties forties twenties revival in the era. Blues, Bonnie and Clyde, etc. There is a famous pic of PJ O Rourke as a radical hippie journalist wearing long hair, a shirt and vintage 40s tie. And has been previously noted, many kids were raiding the vintage shops for prarie dresses, top coats, ties, what have you. At any rate, I say forties, maybe a souvenir from tahiti. I would have to se the back.

Edward

Bartender
Feraud said:
..or some pre psychedelic era vintage rarity?
DSC06731.jpg

Whaddya think? Has anyone ever seen the likes of this before?
All comments and critiques are welcome.

To paraphrase Pope John Cleese the First.... I may not know much about dating them, but I know what I like in a tie! ;) I'd certainly wear that. (Actually, it has me tempted to lay hands on a plain white tie that would take a dye job at home.....).

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
I second that emotion!

-dixon cannon

Groovy, man.

For being the very image of stereotypical freak-out hippe radicalism, Lennon dressed (when he was dressed) a lot more conservatively and stylishly than some of his Earth-child contemporaries. In addition, of course, to his music, his (comparatively) clean image probably helped legitimize him more in the eyes of "the establishment" than other equally outspoken but less aesthetically diplomatic individuals.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can see maybe wearing it with a 1960s narrow lapel suit and red circular glasses. It could look pleasantly freaky. I cannot see wearing it with a 1930s or 1940s combo, personally (which is the era that I usually affect in my sartorial habits).

Feraud

Bartender
There were a couple of good guesses based solely on the pic. It is a vintage tie., approx 49 inches long and 3.5" wide.
Here are the labels.
DSC06733.jpg

DSC06732.jpg

I guess it is from the 50s. It reminds me of certain theme ties I've seen in advertisements from that era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner