Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Lot o' Mottos: What are your words to live by?

indyjim

Familiar Face
"I won't be wronged, insulted, or laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other
people and I require the same from them."

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

And one that was listed earlier, "Measure twice, cut once" Works for more than just lumber.

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Well, there's always "Be Prepared." Worked for me in Scouts, seems to work pretty well in life.

But, there's two sentences that were said to me a long time ago by my 7th grade English teacher. I went to see her on her last day of teaching. She was retiring in 1982 at the age of 72. She was a very proper lady, who would have found herself quite at home around this board. Anyways, she gave me a hug, which was very out of character for her, then backed away, looked me right in the eye and said "The world will hear great things from you, young man. Mark my words."

The fact that I recall them so well 25 years later means something. Someday, I hope to look back at my life, look up to Heaven and and tell her she was right.

Trampilot

Familiar Face
A Portuguese friend and I swear by this for each other: "Nos somos para sempre"

It means "We Are Forever".

I only apply it to her and I.

But I do like Desmond Llewellyn's final line in a Bond film:

"Always have an escape plan."

It always works.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
"One day at a time", "Easy does it" and "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" are my mottos. Sometimes the get me through when the stressful times come.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Courage isn't about how big or strong you are, it's found deep within your soul.

Courage is the ability to stand your ground, and to look into the eyes of the enemy and show them the light of forgiveness.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a few I've picked up over the years. The first three are from various people in my life, the others are noted.

"Never steal anything less than a million dollars, that way if you get caught, you can say it was worth it."

"If someone throws a grenade at you, throw it back!"

"If it's easy, it's probably not worth it."

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." - Chuck Palahniuk

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - JFK

"There is a destiny that makes us all brothers; none goes his way alone. For all that you send into the lives of others most rapidly returns to your own." - Edwin Markham

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"Duty is ours, results are God's" - John Quincy Adams

"I leave this for others when I am dead, always be sure you are right, then go ahead" - David Crockett

"Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug" - anonymous

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
" No one can make you feel inferior without your permission "...Eleanor Roosevelt.

You are at least as good as everyone else.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"The sword is mighty, but principles laugh at swords. Overwhelming force may crush Truth to earth, but crushed or not, Truth is still Truth."

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I saw this one just recently, and while it's not something I would "live by", I did think it was pretty funny:

"If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll do it for you."

lol :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot