Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Mysterious Victrola

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
This never happened before to my Victrola. It is located on top of an antique sewing machine in our office. Last week, one early morning about 5 am as I was just typing along some email on my computer, I heard the Victrola platter turned by itself (as if someone cranked it). I turned around and said, What the heck is this? The 78 rpm record was still there and it was just spinning. No, the stylus wasn't engaged so, no sound. Just the clunking of the mechanism as it spun. I was all alone, the room was calm, no wind, no earthquake :eek:

Oh well, I thought I'd just share this mystery ...

DerMann

Practically Family
The switch that (dis)engages the mechanism might just have slipped, as everything on a victrola, as you may know, is mechanically controlled, and it is very possible that it just gave out or slipped.

What sort of record was it, by the way?

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:
The switch that (dis)engages the mechanism might just have slipped, as everything on a victrola, as you may know, is mechanically controlled, and it is very possible that it just gave out or slipped.

What sort of record was it, by the way?

I hope it's just the slipping and not something else :)

The record?

Time After Time
by Margaret Whiting (with Frank DeVol and his Orchestra)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner