Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New Big Band CD!!!

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hey, I was coming home from sailing in the North Atlantic and this is what I found at Brookstone:

505115_p.jpg

It is a bit on the expensive side for a CD, but I just thought I would put you all in the know about it.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Oh, and here is the song list:
1. In the Mood (3:26)
2. Swingtime in the Rockies (2:27)
3. Stompin' at The Savoy (2:53)
4. Don't Get Around Much Anymore (4:19)
5. Sentimental Journey (3:47)
6. Take the 'A' Train (3:35)
7. Sing, Sing, Sing (3:35)
8. It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't Got that Swing) (3:33)
9. Opus One (3:13)
10. Satin Doll (4:40)
11. Moonlight Serenade (4:08)
12. In a Sentimental Mood (4:41)
13. Song of India (2:51)
14. Pennsylvania 6-5000 (4:40)
15. Chattanooga Choo Choo (4:40)
16. I’ll Be Seeing You (4:06)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
Oh, and here is the song list:
1. In the Mood (3:26)
2. Swingtime in the Rockies (2:27)
3. Stompin' at The Savoy (2:53)
4. Don't Get Around Much Anymore (4:19)
5. Sentimental Journey (3:47)
6. Take the 'A' Train (3:35)
7. Sing, Sing, Sing (3:35)
8. It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't Got that Swing) (3:33)
9. Opus One (3:13)
10. Satin Doll (4:40)
11. Moonlight Serenade (4:08)
12. In a Sentimental Mood (4:41)
13. Song of India (2:51)
14. Pennsylvania 6-5000 (4:40)
15. Chattanooga Choo Choo (4:40)
16. I’ll Be Seeing You (4:06)
Sounds like a great cross-section of songs. Who's band(s) are playing on this CD?

Swing High,
- C H

Wild Root

Gone Home
I like the cover art! It's a good looking cover... the songs are the #1 top hits you'd find on most compilation CD's. I'm curious as to how well they sound compared to the original bands.

My experience in the past with revival bands is they lack something that the originals had... also, if they have a vocalist, they always sound real tired and "rest home" if you know what I mean. Most vocalists today don't understand how to sing true big band style I find.

=WR=

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
I think is is two or three differernt ones, "Featuring Michael Maxwell and his Orchestra and The Steve Wingfield Band" -the Back Cover of the CD.
Can't seem to find a lick of info on either bandleader, except a list of a few other Big Band Era cover CDs by Steve Wingfield on Amazon, none with audio clips. (There's another Michael Maxwell, who plays southern-rock-sounding stuff, which seems to be masking any info on the swing leader... [huh] )

Can you host an MP3 clip somewhere?

Yeah, often the recreations are missing something, but sometimes they're a blast. When first collecting 78s, I had always passed up these 1950's and early 60's dime-store LPs of "Tommy Dorsey Tributes", etc. Then tried a couple out of curiosity: some were Great! I started buying all I saw; still have a few favorite tracks of those in the MP3 mix, along with predominantly original recordings.

Read a write-up somewhere on the net on those dime store LP swing tributes: most of them were from 1950s German bandleader recordings, and re-labeled cheaply in the US either with no artist credited, or with a pseudonym like "Bobby Krane". What they lack in technical talent, some of them make up in sheer DRIVE, making them a fun amateurish listen. Apparently it seems there were many swing band recordings coming out of Germany in the 1950s.

Makes you wonder, due to Nazi Germany stifling swing, if there wasn't some backlash revival?

Definitely no replacement for the originals, but some are kinda endearing in an awkward sort of way. Or maybe its just me. Here's a sample: Sweet Georgia Brown (MP3)

Swing High,
- C H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy