Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new guy with an Indy hat question....

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Hiya- this is my first post, although I have been observing for some time. This is an amazing forum! I've already gleaned a good deal of useful info. Here's my situation: I have been wanting an Indy-type fedora for a while, and I know about most hats in the genre. I love Akubras, and I'd like to get an Adventurer or a Federation. However, right now I am looking at a lower-cost alternative, and I am waffling between a "Miller Indy" and a vintage Stetson Indiana Jones. Both are in good used condition. The Miller is a model 257, which is listed on their website as an "Open Crowned Miller Fedora," and is actually not part of their Indy collection. It seems to be a very nice hat, and is made with "President Finish" fur felt. The Stetson is the lined model, which I understand to be the fur felt version. I have read various things about the Stetson, and depending on the writer, the Stetson will (or won't!) shrink, fade, and deform and either is junk or a pretty good hat. So, given both hats in similar condition, and the price being the same, I'm wondering which hat I should go for. I am looking for a hat that will be able to withstand a bit of knocking about, and I am not obsessed with authenticity. If anyone can help me make up my mind, I will be grateful.

Man, that's a tough one to answer without seeing the particular hats, as they can vary so much even within the same model name. I can say this much, though ...

What seems to attract people to the Indy-style fedora (whether they have the vocabulary to describe it or not) is, firstly, the tall, relatively straight-sided crown, and the widish brim. And the 1 1/2-inch ribbon works well with the other dimensions. Some say the Indiana Jones style is almost a caricature of the classic "Golden Era" fedora. I don't necessarily dispute that, but I don't think it matters much, either. Lots of folks like 'em, for good reason, as I see it. It's a fine style. The problem is that so many "Indy" hats (particularly just about all of the officially licensed ones I've seen), stray so far from the aforementioned design characteristics that it's hard to think of them as members of the same breed at all.

Have you absolutely ruled out the Akubra Federation? My understanding is that with the current exchange rate, they're quite inexpensive these days, when ordered from an Australian vendor. Or so I've read here, anyway.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, the Federation IV is USD $102.48, delivered, from HatsDirect and I am hoping to get one of these hats for considerably less. I understand completely what you mean about the general shape of the hat. When I was a teenager I had a Dobbs Fifth Avenue, dove grey, and to me it will always be what a fedora should look like.....don't know what ever happened to that hat. That's why I say I'm not that hung up on "authenticity-" although I have enjoyed the movies, I am by no means a serious Indy buff.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
There's also the Christy's Adventurer at hornethats.com. It's wool but its supposed to be very good and looks like fur felt. And its usually cheaper, but that depends upon the exchange rate.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Thanks, y'all- although I think I will pass on any wool hats- I've had them over the years (L.L. Bean types mostly) and they are fine for what they are, but mostly they are soft and floppy and not all that durable. I think I will probably end up breaking down and getting a Federation from HatsDirect. I have three Akubras, two of which are fairly old, and I've been impressed by them- they are good solid well-made hats. But if I can pick up one of these others fairly cheaply in the meantime, I will...that will satisfy the part of me that craves immediate gratification, hee hee!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you buy a cheaper hat that's not what you really want, it's just that much longer until you have the money to get the one you do really want. In other words, if you spend $50 on a hat you aren't happy with, it's $50 you could have had set aside for buying the hat you prefer.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Daoud said:
I love Akubras, and I'd like to get an Adventurer or a Federation. However, right now I am looking at a lower-cost alternative...

Hopefully not an un-Australian thing to say but with the falling Australian Dollar an Akubra is rapidly becoming a low cost alternative (at least for you American chaps!). In fact now may be the best time to get in. Have a look at Everything Australian as one good option.

maff2k

New in Town
I got my 'Indy' hat from ebay, a fur felt official indy hat cost me about £50. Silk lined, leather sweat band and very well made. Wear mine all the time! I'd be happy to pm you the name of the trader I bought off.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
My goodness- fifty quid! If you're referring to the new "official" ones, they can be had on eBay (U.S.) for USD $100.00, shipped ( in the U.S.)- thanks though.

I certainly understand that spending money on a hat I'm not 100% happy with is no bargain- but as I say, there is a good- sized part of my personality that wants everything RIGHT NOW- it does not want to wait on a hat to be shipped from the bleedin' Antipodes! Nonetheless, that's what I'll probably end up doing.

Of course I could just order an Adventurer from David Morgan for a total of $132.00.....$30.00 more than a Federation IV from HatsDirect! A good chunk to pay for immediate gratification, right?

I thank you all for your input!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Daoud...Have you checked the price of a Fed lately?...The reg is in the low 70's, while the Dlx is hovering around $113...These prices are far below the Miller or the Stetson Temple...and as far as wait time goes...7 to 10 days is not bad...it could take that long if you bought something in the States as well...Have you read the info at Club Obiwan http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html
You may want to read more there...Enjoy your search...

maff2k

New in Town
Well £50 is about $100 so it's even. That was with shipping to the UK so I didn't think it too bad. Still we're used to paying a little more for things than you guys over there!

I'm very happy with my hat and it suits me - goes very well with my tux for lodge nights!

M

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Hey Daoud .. check out the villagehatshop.com and look for the "Iconoclast" style fur felt Fedora. It is a good alternative to the official Indy hats that sell for a lower price and is far superior in quality. I purchased one last year for under $80.U.S not including shipping. Cheers

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mike in Seattle said:
If you buy a cheaper hat that's not what you really want, it's just that much longer until you have the money to get the one you do really want. In other words, if you spend $50 on a hat you aren't happy with, it's $50 you could have had set aside for buying the hat you prefer.

This is excellent and wise advice. We all start in the same place: "Those hats are neat. I should get one. How much? Yipes! What's cheaper? I don't need a $100 hat... This'll do. It's HALF that. Those guys are crazy.... Dang. It shrunk. The color ran. It is stiff as a helmet and those others have those cool dimples. Why did they use a black sweatband? Rats. Well. I'll just watch eBay. Maybe the one from David Morgan isn't so pricey. My birthday's coming and I can swing it. What the heck. I should have a better quality hat for rainy days. It's a good investment... You know, I think a tan one would be cool now, would match that overcoat I got at the thrift store. Maybe black too...."

Just pony up and save yourself the time and trouble. Honest. Am I right gentlemen? Have we not all gone down the same path???

Daoud

One of the Regulars
maff2k said:
Well £50 is about $100 so it's even. That was with shipping to the UK so I didn't think it too bad. Still we're used to paying a little more for things than you guys over there!

I'm very happy with my hat and it suits me - goes very well with my tux for lodge nights!

M

Oh, my gosh- I am not normally so arithmetically challenged!!! My only excuse is that it was very late when I wrote that. No, that's not bad at all, at all. They do look to be nice hats.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Colby Jack said:
Daoud...Have you checked the price of a Fed lately?...The reg is in the low 70's, while the Dlx is hovering around $113...These prices are far below the Miller or the Stetson Temple...and as far as wait time goes...7 to 10 days is not bad...it could take that long if you bought something in the States as well...Have you read the info at Club Obiwan http://www.indygear.com/igfedora.html
You may want to read more there...Enjoy your search...

Thanks- that's a link I hadn't seen before. Does it really only take 7-10 days to get a hat from HatsDirect? Alright- I'm off to order a Federation!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a term or phrase that gets used when you go too cheap, it turns out you get what you paid for and later you wind up buying the "good one'' for the greater price. "Good Money After Bad."

Poor selections that fail are usually wasted money that can't be recovered and in the end to get want you needed to begin with you spend what you should have on top of the bad decision money. So the inexpensive decision winds up costing you more because those funds are gone. Good money after bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24