Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Pinch in the Rear

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I recently put a rear pinch and dents in my Campdraft, and I like the way it looks. I've seen similar treatments here and there, often in old photos, but searching through past posts didn't turn up too much. I thought I would create a thread dedicated to rear pinches (in hats, of course!) and dents, where hopefully you guys can post some examples both current and from the past. If such a thread already exists, my apologies. I'll start off with my Campdraft:

img3619k.jpg

img3620e.jpg

Michaelshane posted his 7x Open Road not too long ago:

R0015793.jpg

And here's James Dean in an old photo:

929770.jpg

I'd love to see some more examples of rear pinches and any variations thereof.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's a thread out there somewhere for Unusual and Original Creases. It was a great thread, and I got my idea to put the rear pinch in my Squatter after another Lounger made waves in that thread doing the same to his Open Road. I can't find it now...

Gotta say though, I'm really liking the job you've done with this hat. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
There's a thread out there somewhere for Unusual and Original Creases. It was a great thread, and I got my idea to put the rear pinch in my Squatter after another Lounger made waves in that thread doing the same to his Open Road. I can't find it now...

Gotta say though, I'm really liking the job you've done with this hat. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I remembered there being a thread like that, but I didn't remember what it was called. It eventually came to me that it was the Creative Crease Collection. There were some great, unusual creases, but the only one I saw that belonged here was kaosharper1's very cool Reverse Pinch. I don't think mine is extreme enough to go in the CCC, and I think this subject is specific enough to warrant having its own thread without a lot of overlap with the CCC.

Thanks!

RLF

New in Town
Campdraft Felt?

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but can you tell me what the Campdraft felt is like? Is it soft and flexible like, say, a Borsalino or is it stiffer? I guess my real question is how easy is it to personalize?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
RLF said:
I'm sure this question has been answered before, but can you tell me what the Campdraft felt is like? Is it soft and flexible like, say, a Borsalino or is it stiffer? I guess my real question is how easy is it to personalize?
I hope it's pretty easy to personalize because I just ordered one and it comes open crown.;)

RLF said:

Campdraft crowns are fairly soft, the brim is stiffer. You can soften both up with water, Akubra actually recommends dowsing it, then doing your crease, and allowing it to dry. If you do that, I would recommend rain showers or distilled water from a spray bottle. You could also use steam to crease it,
from a steamer or heated teakettle. The crease and the brim styles can both be personalized very easily. If you look on the Campdraft thread, you can see anything from cowboy to fedora style.

RLF said:
No where near as soft as a vintage Borso or my 1980's one. Very easy to personalize with steam or spraying with distilled water to shape = lots of crown to work with. I did additional pouncing to all mine. They are a bit hairy when you first get them. They do seem to like being worn in the rain & the felt tightens up nicely with regular wear & weather exposure. HTH

Mr E Train

One Too Many
For what it's worth, my Silverbelly Campdraft is much stiffer than my Bluegrass Green one. Both were easy to shape by spraying with a little distilled water, but the stiffness of my Silverbelly is more akin to a modern Open Road than a Borsalino. I would expect that on a hat of this type, though, and it definitely softens up with use and exposure to water.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
To get back on track, here's kaosharper1's Saratoga bash, stolen from the Creative Crease Collection thread. Very cool.

hat3.jpg

hat1.jpg

hat2.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
I've been preoccupied with life for a while and away from TFL, but Michaelshane's crease is not one you see every day but done extremely well. Nice!

R0015793.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
The Quiet Man

John Wayne and Ward Bond both sport dark hats with front AND rear dents in the first half of this movie. It's something I've seen lots of times, and is frequently done on western hats, from a "mule kick" to full-on rear pinches or dents. I do it to a lot of my taller "Montana Peak" hats to lower the crown just a tad in back, so I don't hit EVERY doorway. I don't do it much with fedoras because I rarely want to lose any crown height on them. Michaelshane's creases always strike me as classics, must be a New Mexico thing! Frank

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
Not a fan of it. It makes the hat look like a football. It might look better if the one drastically sloped the back of the fedora--and I'm talking a Tom Neal in Detour slope. But then, with such a slant it would be mighty difficult to indent a pinch in the rear of the hat that would stick.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I hear what you're sayin'. I like it, but I went back to a standard teardrop/C-crown because the rear pinch combined with the teardrop shape was causing the sides to bow out too much. I still like kaos' Saratoga bash, and I might attempt it myself one of these days, but I consider my double-pinch diamond bash a failed experiment, although a not-bad one.

bgcdnewbashfront.jpg

bgcdnewbashside.jpg

bgcdnewbashback.jpg

More prosaic, yes nonetheless more pleasing on an aesthetic level.

I still want to see more examples of reverse pinches and the like. Hopefully CaneRodMaker will post his soon.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Ever since Mr. E posted his hat and I noticed this thread, I’ve been keeping my eye out for hats that had the old pinch in the rear. I don’t know if you can make it out, but the old feller sitting in the speaker’s box seems to have a rather formal center-dent with a turned up brim and equal pinches in both the front and back.

pf116498.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner