a sad day

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Blackthorn, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

2. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

Wow. That is indeed a head shaking piece of sad news. I pray they can find a suitable relocation spot.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  3. Ordinary Guy

Ordinary Guy One Too Many

Might I suggest Blackthorn's Hat Emporium as the name for your new business ???

hatsRme and jlee562 like this.
  4. DOGMAN

DOGMAN One Too Many

That's just a dang shame.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

Let's call that...Plan B.

6. Art Fawcett

Art Fawcett Sponsoring Affiliate

Now that's progress!!! Sometimes "progress" sucks

7. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

You'd think downtown Seattle would be more inclined to preserve their elder businesses, but I suppose this is just the vicious cycle of development.

Cornshucker77, DOGMAN and Blackthorn like this.
  8. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

That is a sad article. Hopefully they can find a buyer that can move the store to a new location.

Steven

9. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Sad news. Maybe the new retail space will include another much needed cell phone store..

10. RJR

RJR

:cool:

11. MCrider

MCrider A-List Customer

To me the sad part is the new owners wouldn't even discuss new rent - even an extremely high ridiculous rent. Obviously they have their own plans for it, but i'd hate to see a new cell phone place open up there.

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives A-List Customer

I went by Bernie Utz this past Wed., and bought my first Akubra BTW...

This is a sad story, but more to it than meets the eye. I asked the owners daughter if maybe a petition might help...Like how many signatures would it take? And she told me, that her Dad, the owner, is retiring the first of Aug. reguardless, and the family WANTS to sell...There is a possibility that if they find a buyer, that the new owners could strike a deal with the owners of the building...

If that was a possbility it would make finding a buyer alot easier...But they have no way of knowing til, if and when they have a buyer...

So lets wish them well...But the city and building owners mght not be as heartless as it appears in that article...Although, bad timing for their attempt at selling...And it is another sign of 'progress' pushing out the older, high quality brick and mortar stores...Which goes against so much of what I/we believe in...

As of now...there are NO plans for a Clearance Sale...Business is PACKED..No days off, they are working very hard and overtime, and moving hats to folks who want them...It looks great to a hat lover, watching the crowd of folks buying hats....Gave me the fever as if I needed any incouragement...lol!!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    Tukwila, DOGMAN, Redfokker and 2 others like this.
  13. Redfokker

Redfokker

This is sad indeed. I have a 1950s Hardeman Homburg that was sold at Byrnie Utz Hats, probably 1952 or so. I will be up in Seattle the first weekend of August, and a pilgrimage to the store is a must. Just to stand within this historic emporium of fine men's headwear will probably bring me to tears. We will see what I walk out with...

M Hatman, Bird Lives and DOGMAN like this.
  14. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

I was very sad to hear this news. I have frequented Byrnie Utz several times over the past six years or so. My friends got me a gift certificate to their store. I'll be stopping by there shortly to give them my business at least one more time. I do hope they find a new buyer to keep the store open.

Bird Lives likes this.
  15. Bird Lives

Wow, what a great place to get a gift certificate from...Your friends have excellent taste and are good friends indeed!

Yeah, I'm still a little in denial! It won't hit me fully til a year later....I mean, as far as I'm concerned, Seattle will not be as nice a place without Bernie Utz. Even if you are not a hat wearer, it's what the store represented that helped to shape Seattle's identity in a very hip way...But after this.....The loss of this Brick & Mortar Icon will surely knock a prop or two out of Seattle's Hipness...And I don't think this city can afford that...

16. Bird Lives

Happy Hunting...
    As I posted earlier, I was there this past Wednesday...and there inventory is HUGE! It would be very hard indeed, to spend anytime at all in there and not find quite a few things that you would want to leave with! I couldn't do it! LOL! If I hadn't sprung for a Fedora, my leg might have broken! LOL... That place is like a Disneyland for hat lovers...whew!

RJR, M Hatman and Redfokker like this.
  17. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Now I see the problem. Says here in the news Seattle has banned straws. That would have really diminished his inventory.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

BobHufford, Blackthorn and Redfokker like this.