Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 vs. G1

tripreed

New in Town
So, I guess this is my first post here. I am a regular over at the Trad forum on Ask Andy, but I brought this topic up over there and AlanC suggested I head over here for some good advice.

Frankly, after watching "The War" I began toying with the idea of a leather flight jacket. It seems that the A2 and the G1 are the two "standards" but I'm just not sure how to choose between the two. I was just curious for peoples' opinions on why one would choose one over the other. Purely personal preference, I suppose? Thanks.

Trip

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Russet Brown vs. Dark brown/black
Straight back vs. More "roomy" back
"Shirt" collar vs. Fur collar
Airforce type of person/image vs. Navy type of person/image

But most of all - it's up to you.[huh]

green papaya

One Too Many
the A2 goes better with a shirt and tie, because of the sleek button down shirt style collar

the G1 is also well designed and has a "bi-swing" back for better freedom of movement, and also has a nice inside snap button map pocket, and a heavy duty brass zipper with USN marked wind flap

for colder climates the G1 is the most comfortable and functional.

the A2 is better suited to milder climates, but if the weather gets cold you can wear a wool scarf.

Septimus

New in Town
Good morning,i'm lucky enough to own several types of flight jackets,including an elc G1 ,2 aero bronco's A2,an elc duo tone B3,and waiting for an aero irvin jacket.My favorite jacket (thus the one which i put on the more frequently on the morning is my elc G1,great jacket and far more comfortable than my A2s.Ladies go mad for the russet fur collar .

number6

Familiar Face
A2 / G1

I have Eastman variants of A2 and M422 (early G! ) and for me the G1 type is more practical overall. However , I think the A2 is a smarter jacket .

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Both kinds of leather flight jackets are sharp looking, hard wearing, and functional. The A-2 has a slightly sleeker and classier look, the M-422A/G-1 has more freedom of movement from the bi-swing construction and is a hair warmer because of the fur collar.

If you're serious, you'll want a *repro* A-2 reflecting WWII design vs. the current-spec model. (Which means horsehide or goatskin, no handwarmer pockets, cotton or silk lining, all-wool knits, one-piece back, etc.) If your interest is more casual, current-spec A-2s still look fine, though they don't reflect the details of 30s/40s originals well.

There are less significant differences in the WWII M-422A and more recent G-1s, but again, if you're serious, you'll look to *repros* vs. current-spec models. (And since the G-1 has been issued all along and is made of hard-wearing goatskin, there are many actually issued used ones out there in good condition - especially if you wear a smaller size.)

And don't agonize too much about whether to get an A-2 or G-1 - don't kid yourself, you're probably going to end up with at least one of each kind, eventually...

number6

Familiar Face
A2/G1

Doctor Strange said:
Both kinds of leather flight jackets are sharp looking, hard wearing, and functional. The A-2 has a slightly sleeker and classier look, the M-422A/G-1 has more freedom of movement from the bi-swing construction and is a hair warmer because of the fur collar.

If you're serious, you'll want a *repro* A-2 reflecting WWII design vs. the current-spec model. (Which means horsehide or goatskin, no handwarmer pockets, cotton or silk lining, all-wool knits, one-piece back, etc.) If your interest is more casual, current-spec A-2s still look fine, though they don't reflect the details of 30s/40s originals well.

There are less significant differences in the WWII M-422A and more recent G-1s, but again, if you're serious, you'll look to *repros* vs. current-spec models. (And since the G-1 has been issued all along and is made of hard-wearing goatskin, there are many actually issued used ones out there in good condition - especially if you wear a smaller size.)

And don't agonize too much about whether to get an A-2 or G-1 - don't kid yourself, you're probably going to end up with at least one of each kind, eventually...

He's right you know , you will end up with one of each.:)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Doctor Strange said:
...since the G-1 has been issued all along and is made of hard-wearing goatskin, there are many actually issued used ones out there in good condition - especially if you wear a smaller size.

Hi Tripreed,

The Good Doctor speaks the truth, but please allow me to add a tiny bit to his observations.

There are generally many good, original G-1s for sale on the various internet auction sites. But the quality of these issued jackets varies greatly depending on the date of issue. In my opinion, G-1s hit rock bottom in the mid-seventies and you may want to avoid these jackets. They are made of thick, embossed cowhide and have dynel collars. They are stiff and heavy and are finished with a water-resistant substance that causes them to squeak like seagulls when they are worn. If you are interested in an original G-1, you may want to confine your search to the jackets made before 1973 and after 1992 when Cooper got the contract. While the new jackets are nowhere as good as the pre-73 G-1s, at least I've never seen a cowhide Cooper.

By the way, no G-1s were issued between 1978 and 1983. That five-year period was the only time the G-1 was absent from USN flight gear since the jacket's introduction (as the M-422) in the '30s.

Atticus

plain old dave

A-List Customer
G-1 without a doubt. Speaking of which, is there anywhere I can get the knit material replaced on a G-1? I have one, but the knit material is threadbare, to be polite.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
See what you've started!! :)As you will already have gathered from the replies off the boys here, we 'all' have our own personal loves and preferences for a certain model of jacket, be it the A-2 or G-1 styles.

But it doesn't just 'stop' with these models...:eek: (it does get scary when you start getting bitten by the bug!).

Bottom Line: It's a very personal decision that only 'you' can answer for yourself ;)And that may take you trying a number of different styles before 'you know.'

Septimus

New in Town
you will end with at least:an A2,a G1,a B3,a L2,and last but not least an Irvin.Then you will start looking at the different shades for A2,russet or seal,and for the B3,duotone,redskins or seal.ARRGGGG

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

From a practical point of view, remember this: the G-1 has an inside pocket which is pretty capacious. Standard A-2's do not. The pocket has a snap, meaning you can keep stuff from falling out of it as you run, say, to ______
And here you can fill in the blank.

Edward

Bartender
I can attest to this... although I've not yet been able to amass the cash for one of them, my wishlist started off very modestly at a single A2. Then I liked the look of a B2 or a B3....maybe both.... then it was the B-6 that caught my eye, then a B-10..... maybe a second A2 with some nosecone art.... It's probably a good thing that I am as resolute about keeping my savings as I am, or I'd have no savings and a wardrobe full of lovely leather..... hmmnnn.....

jacketquest

Familiar Face
The question isn't which one to get but one one to get FIRST. As others have pointed out you'll undoubtedly get both eventually. :) Personally I switch between both styles pretty often. One week it'll be G-1's then the next A-2's.

tripreed

New in Town
I appreciate everyone's replies and opinions on the jackets. I'm not sure if I'm quite to the point of having one of each, but I guess time will tell ;)

Currently I am in grad school and, therefore, am on a limited budget. Because of this my first purchase will most likely be coming from Ebay. Perhaps this should be its own separate thread, but I wondered if there are any specific features that I should look for or avoid? Thanks.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
tripreed said:
Perhaps this should be its own separate thread, but I wondered if there are any specific features that I should look for or avoid?

Trip, you cannot imagine how many threads, on this and other forums, have been devoted to trying to answer this seemingly simple question.

Atticus

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi,

OK, Here's a stab at what I think.

If I were getting a reproduction A-2 I would at least want:
1. Goatskin or horsehide leather.
2. A one-piece back.
3. A WWII styled (smaller, bell-shaped) zipper.
4. Military spec. knits.

I would not want:
1. Hand warmer pockets.
2. Interior pockets.
3. Bloodchits, pinup babes, maps or anything else printed on the lining.
4. Artificially distressed leather.
5. Nekked girls painted on the back (or front).

I would not want a reproduction G-1 of any kind---I would want an original.

Atticus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy