Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AAF decals on A-2 zipper flaps?

A2_Junkie

New in Town
Does anyone know if an AAF decal on the inside flap of an A-2 is historically accurate? Here's a picture I took of an ELC RW W535 AC-27752:

AAF_decal.jpg

-Peter

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Weren't most of those stamps in black and stamped on the lining? Maybe just a little detail that was left up to the manufacturer, just like collar shape, pocket flaps, epaulets, collar stands, etc. Lots of variations in the little details between the various jacket manufacturers.

A2_Junkie

New in Town
Are decals practical?

It seems that decals would be pretty inefficient for wartime mass production. My guess is that this may have been a pre-war technique that gave way to the ink stamp on the liner. Just guessing...

My RW 1401 doesn't have it and it is supposed to be a pre-war contract (has collar stand, etc). Heck my 1401 doesn't even have the AAF stamp on the liner, does yours?

Nice pictures of your vintage jacket and of your new ELC RW 1401 on your website, btw. It looks just like mine. I too wasn't impressed with the HPA packing. It is a great day when they arrive, though.

-Peter

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A2_Junkie said:
My RW 1401 doesn't have it and it is supposed to be a pre-war contract (has collar stand, etc). Heck my 1401 doesn't even have the AAF stamp on the liner, does yours?

Nice pictures of your vintage jacket and of your new ELC RW 1401 on your website, btw. It looks just like mine. I too wasn't impressed with the HPA packing. It is a great day when they arrive, though.

-Peter

Mine just has the inspector's stamp inside near the bottom on the lining. And thanks for the comments - I'm trying to get some pics taken with the jacket after 8 months of wear.

A2_Junkie

New in Town
I'm trying to get some pics taken with the jacket after 8 months of wear.

That's about how long I've had my 1401 (we have the exact same jacket). I'm seeing scuff wear on the cuffs and seems. Also, some scuff and interesting burnishing on the lower back, above the knits. Overall, the leather is getting some nice creases (back and arms especially). I hit the scuff marks with baseball mitt oil on occasion. This usually results in a joking accusation from my wife that I'm "making love to the jacket...again".

I'm going to have to scan some images from an A-2 book I have that shows aircrews with relatively new jackets. They don't look a lot different than the way my jacket does now. I'll have to take some pics.

-Peter

greyhound68

A-List Customer
I have seen several originals with the stamp just like on your jacket. It was not something I have seen on a lot of originals. I have two that were not pre-war with no stamp. Of course it could have worn off. I had a mint RW 18091 which is pre war and it did not have it. It may have been the same thing as when they started putting decals on the jackets sleeves which I think was 1943. I saw a re-issued depot fixed pre war jacket that had the decal on the sleeve which I know must have been added at the depot

Marv

A-List Customer
My ELC house A2 has the AAF stamp on the wind flap but my ELC Star A2 doesn't, both have the AAF stamp on the liner though.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My pre-war A-2

I have a pre-war 'un-named maker' A-2 in fantastic goat (I just love it!) and it has the decal on the inside of the flap. Some do, some don't.

Although I have a feeling it was applied later in the war along with the colour sleeve decal when it got a respray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou