Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About Eastman Werber 1729 size

alec0226

New in Town
I'm very happy to find the Fedora Lounge a very helpful forum to learn so much about A2, and I wanna say Hi to everybody here!

Eastman Werber 1729 size36,looks a bit small for me,it's very tight on shoulders and chest,the zip can't even be pulled up to the top.
I like a WWII look,should I take size 38 or 40?
I'm 175cm,66kgs,chest 90cm,shoulder 46cm.

BTW,why can't I post pics?

546961_134726646683603_1418123971_n.jpg

576407_134726640016937_599407013_n.jpg

59992_134726616683606_1443877033_n.jpg

406731_134726670016934_1515603048_n.jpg

305310_134726683350266_2077018993_n.jpg

I like this look very much!
556315_134726696683598_864941733_n.jpg

I have another A2,mde in China,the tag says it's a RW 18091,size 40.The shoulder is 47cm,looks a bit hanging though,I'm comfortable with it.The back is quite roomy,not a proper fit,but the chest and sleeves are ok.

14458_134810900008511_801656911_n.jpg

14458_134810903341844_897706234_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm very happy to find the Fedora Lounge a very helpful forum to learn so much about A2, and I wanna say Hi to everybody here!

Eastman Werber 1729 size36,looks a bit small for me,it's very tight on shoulders and chest,the zip can't even be pulled up to the top.

I would imagine that a 38 would be a snug fit and 40 more relaxed. Depends on how you want the jacket to fit and what feels best on you, regardless on how anyone else's pictures might appear. If Andrew sees this thread, he might offer the best input.

Most of us post pics through a photobucket account, where you can copy the IMG URL and paste it underneath your text.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I don't think it looks tight at all. The shoulder seams should be level with your acromions (that's the outermost part of your shoulder blade). The shoulders definitely don't look narrower than that. Chest looks good to me, too. You're probably just not used to wearing a jacket that fits well. If you prefer an ill-fitting mall type jacket go ahead and get the 38 or 40. It would be a shame to spend that much money on an Eastman and make it look like something you get from Walmart, though. :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/546961_134726646683603_1418123971_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/576407_134726640016937_599407013_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/59992_134726616683606_1443877033_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/556315_134726696683598_864941733_n.jpg
Posting pics? There are a few posts on this in the FAQs
You need a hosting site such as Photobucket or something similar. Very basicaly upload photo's to your hosting site, click the box that has Direct link in it and copy. Open the image box in the tool bar on the reply page, tick the option, From URL, then Dont forget to UN tick the box that says:Retrieve remote file and reference locally. Check you pic int the Go advanced box, then if all is ok hit Post.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was no correct fit for A2s in the 1930s and during the War. You see lots of pics of airmen wearing A2s that are trim fitting to those on the large size. Eastman claim the 1933 Werber is a trim fitting jacket and certainly compared to other A2s this is true. Your appears to Werber fit you well, but if you feel it is too tight size up to a 38 or a 40.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think that the primary reason that pictures during WW II showed jacket fit all over the board is that jackets were pretty much handed out quickly without any fanfare. This was my experience with my US Navy G-1 that was issued to me in 1967, and was too short in the sleeves and body since tall/long sizes were unavailable.

If the jacket feels too tight, it probably is. If you don't love it now, you will eventually hate it and won't wear the jacket at all once the newness wears off. However, if you had been a WW II pilot, you would have been stuck with it, and 60-70 years later, people would have looked at pictures of your wearing the A-2 and commented on how a proper A-2 should fit.

I think this is basically what Andrew is trying to say, and he has forgotten more about military jackets than most of the rest of us will ever know!

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
This photo shows a variety of different A2 contracts and fits.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Proper_A2_Fit.jpg

There certainly is all kind of body shapes presented here, and a lot of more or less fitting A2 jackets on this Picture.
Just as I remember it from my own time in the military service. Personally I would prefer a jacket to be rather a Little too big, than uncomfortably narrow over the shoulders.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alsendk, I agree with all this. I too prefer a slightly more generous fitting A2 on the grounds of comfort and practicality(you can layer under it).

schitzo

Suspended
From the back it looks very good to me. So if this is a 36 then I suspect 40 will be too big. I assume wearing it is uncomfortable in which case if I were you I'd try out a 38.

Good luck
Schitz

majormajor

One Too Many
In terms of a "wartime fit", I would say the jacket looks very cool - a perfect fit.

However, on the back view, I can see a little pulling under the armpits, and this may be uncomfortable.

For me, I would live with it, and the jacket will loosen up.

But obviously it is your choice. If comfort (say, for driving) is you thing, then you have to sacrifice the great look, and get a bigger jacket:D;)

alec0226

New in Town
I would imagine that a 38 would be a snug fit and 40 more relaxed. Depends on how you want the jacket to fit and what feels best on you, regardless on how anyone else's pictures might appear. If Andrew sees this thread, he might offer the best input.

Most of us post pics through a photobucket account, where you can copy the IMG URL and paste it underneath your text.

Thanks Fanch,I'll do something with the pics later.

alec0226

New in Town
I don't think it looks tight at all. The shoulder seams should be level with your acromions (that's the outermost part of your shoulder blade). The shoulders definitely don't look narrower than that. Chest looks good to me, too. You're probably just not used to wearing a jacket that fits well. If you prefer an ill-fitting mall type jacket go ahead and get the 38 or 40. It would be a shame to spend that much money on an Eastman and make it look like something you get from Walmart, though. :)

The shoulder and chest may look ok but it feels very tight,besides,the zip can't go up to the top,maybe 38 will be better I think.

alec0226

New in Town
Posting pics? There are a few posts on this in the FAQs
You need a hosting site such as Photobucket or something similar. Very basicaly upload photo's to your hosting site, click the box that has Direct link in it and copy. Open the image box in the tool bar on the reply page, tick the option, From URL, then Dont forget to UN tick the box that says:Retrieve remote file and reference locally. Check you pic int the Go advanced box, then if all is ok hit Post.
Thanks man,it works!Haha!

alec0226

New in Town
In terms of a "wartime fit", I would say the jacket looks very cool - a perfect fit.

However, on the back view, I can see a little pulling under the armpits, and this may be uncomfortable.

For me, I would live with it, and the jacket will loosen up.

But obviously it is your choice. If comfort (say, for driving) is you thing, then you have to sacrifice the great look, and get a bigger jacket:D;)

Yes,it's uncomfotable under the armpits,feel the same around the neck.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
The most important thing about a jacket is if you can wear it on a regular basis. If it is too tight for you to zip up, or is pinching your armpits - get a larger size. There is nothing worse than getting a very expensive leather jacket that you can't wear for more than a few minutes at a time.

If you can't wear the jacket for a few minutes, then you're gonna hate it when you've worn it for a few hours. Horse Hide will be stiffer than other materials, but it shouldn't be torture to wear. Each person has their own preferences - wear what feels good.

saucerfiend

Practically Family
From the back it looks very good to me. So if this is a 36 then I suspect 40 will be too big. I assume wearing it is uncomfortable in which case if I were you I'd try out a 38.

Good luck
Schitz

I agree. This size 36 Werber looks just a bit snug across the upper chest and shoulders. Also a bit short in the sleeves as the knits are completely stretched out. The next size up, a 38 should give just enough room, perfect sleeve length and a nice WW2 look.

Brian

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, I think it looks great, a really good classic WW2 look. However, if its a bit uncomfortable, that won't 'go away'. A size up, say, 38, would still look 'classic' and still give a little extra room for comfort perhaps. Although, as stated earlier, A-2s are trim jackets and not everyones cup of tea to wear. And this is one on ELCs more trim jackets, its cut that way and you may want to consider a 'fuller' pattern???
Also, I must add. Its my experience, that over time, the sleeves crease at the shoulders and elbows due to natural wear. This tends to 'ride' the sleeves up a bit and in effect, shortens the sleeve... If your jacket is new, then those sleeves will only 'ride' up more after some time...
For me, short sleeves = sleepless nights in hell.
Just my 2 cents ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot