Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

about ties

tmal

One of the Regulars
What kind of tie do you wear with a flannel shirt? A work weight twill shirt?

tmal

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. I figured wool would be best, but thought I would check. Since the flannel shirts will be plaid, I assume a solid colored tie is preferred, or else a very small discrete check?

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
I'm thinking something like a wool knit in a solid colour is your best choice. Flannel shirts are real casual, so you want a casual tie.

Claudio

Vendor
Non, too casual (flannel) to wear a tie in my opinion. Immagnie a shirt collar with a heavy weight, would be too bulky to add a tie to this, making the thickness exceptional and too bulky to look good IMO

Hal

Practically Family
Non, too casual (flannel) to wear a tie in my opinion. Immagnie a shirt collar with a heavy weight, would be too bulky to add a tie to this, making the thickness exceptional and too bulky to look good IMO
I don't agree - I don't see ties as un-casual. A wool tie, especially a rough-textured one, is ideal for a twill shirt and even for a flannel one. But a patterned flannel shirt surely calls for a plain tie.
In the colder seasons, a closed collar (which surely necessitates a tie) aids thermal comfort.

Last edited:
I'm surprised, Claudio! I have been accessorizing both cotton and wool flannels with neckties since high school, where ties were mandatory, in the early 1970s. And not only wool, but many other very casual, textural weaves. Be daring, creative!

Claudio

Vendor
Twill cottons yes, plenty of great twills out there in thinner cotton (not work shirts as in work-wear), but flannels? I think thats it all down to personal taste of course, but really do not see how a flannelled shirt can be paired nicely with a tie, sorry, a no no in my books

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav