Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adam's leather coat from TV's Mythbusters

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I like the look of this classic 1950-60's style black, four button short coat. Any ideas what make it is? I like the fact that it is a thinner leather but obviously hardy given the treatment he has given it over the years. What catagory or style of jacket is it? Aero and others do similar styles.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Looks to be a fairly standard car coat. I've seen stuff like that at Macy's. Probably not as high quality as his, but a similar style.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure it isn't a great quality coat. Someone told me it was a Wlsons. I guess I thought a member here at the FL would be enough of a fan of teh show to know the answer. As for Macy's - where I come from it is virtually unknown.

Cheers

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks BW. As I wrote, it's the black one with the buttons, etc - not the Indy.

Can you give me a source for the Wilson's reference?

ron521

One of the Regulars
Wilson's covers a wide range of quality, with jackets in lower end and higher end of the scale. Some are made to sell at a low price point, so won't likely be of as high a quality.
However, I've got two Wilson's leather coats, and the workmanship in both of these is flawless.
One is their "Open Road" motorcycle jacket, and every superlative applied to leather jackets is appropriate. It compares very favorably with a Schott Perfecto, and beats it in a few areas.
The other is just a black, casual jacket with zip front and handwarmer pockets.
Also very well made, vastly superior to the "designer" jackets sold in stores like Dillards, Belks, Macy's, etc.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Here's a big +1 on Wilson's Open Road line's quality.

I bought a Wilson's Perfecto-style Open Road when I was 16 years old. I am now nearly 30, and I still wear the jacket. It's held up beautifully, and all the stitching was properly aligned, etc.

:eek:fftopic:
I've owned two jackets made by Schott. A Perfecto, and a Trojan (sold by Legendary USA, made by Schott). The Perfecto was considerably not-perfect, in that the inside of the leather kidney panel had a series of needle holes about an inch and a half from the bottom edge, from where a row of stitching had obviously been sewn too high, undone, and then sewn in the proper spot, along the edge. Also, the left epaulette was about 3/4 of an inch longer than the right, and would not lay flat on my shoulder. The whole not laying flat part didn't bother me as much as the fact that one side did, and one didn't. It looked stupid. With human beings sewing, nothing is going to be flawless. But for a $500 + jacket, that's unacceptable.

Also, the plastic material at the bottom of the zipper between the teeth and where it attaches to the jacket started cracking and flaking off on me. I was never even aware of such a thing being on zippers until this. I checked my other jackets after, and sure enough, it's there. The Schott is the only one it was flaking off on, and this was after like 3 weeks of owning it, brand new.

With the Trojan, you can just search my posts, because I've mentioned it alot here, but basically had some severe issues with loose stitching and poor repair.

I try to buy American whenever I can, but after two extremely disappointing experiences with Schott products, made in America by union employees that couldn't hold a candle to a Wilson's jacket that cost me half as much, made overseas by workers who were presumably paid much less than the people at Schott, I will never buy a jacket made by them again.

There are others on this forum who have nothing but good things to say about Schott. I don't know how to explain it. I suppose I could have just been really unlucky and bought two lemons? I don't think it's having too high standards, because I'm happy with my Open Road, and the Vanson I bought last year is beyond perfect to me.

/rant off, lol. But yeah, Wilson's Open Road, top notch, especially for the money. Experience with higher priced but inferior jackets down the road led me to really appreciate what a great jacket it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou