Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Add my Aero NYPD to the list of Aero jackets appearing in movies

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hello Gents,

Some good news I wanted to share with you all... BMW of North America has casted me and my twin screw supercharged BMW 323i in a movie that will be filmed tomorrow at the biggest annual BMW festival in the USA known as "Bimmerfest" and I'll be wearing my Aero NYPD jacket (same one in the old picture below). I don't have full details of the movie yet, but from what I've been told, the movie centers around BMW enthusiasts and the love they have for their cars.

For the newer folks here who have never met me, I'm a 5 time open heart surgery survivor with mechanical heart made of carbon fiber and a Parkinson's Disease survivor as well. I wasn't expected to survive my heart surgeries but with a lot of love, prayer, and being positive, I survived and lived to see the days that I would become a husband and later a father. Being alive is a gift and privilege. To show my gratitude, I have dedicated the rest of my life to inspiring others to live heart healthy lives and I do this thru motivational speaking as well as thru my BMW which was heavily customized in the same carbon fiber material that my mechanical heart implants are made of. My Aero NYPD jacket ties in to all this since it's my main jacket of choice when I drive my car and there was a time my car tire blew out while I was driving on the highway and I thought I'd lose control and crash but my Aero jacket brought me good luck (afterall, the jacket was made in dedication to my police chief grandfather so whenever I wear the jacket, I feel like my grandfather is standing beside me. :)

I only recently learned, after seeing a post on here a couple of days ago, about the whole "horsehide or steerhide" ordeal that Aero unfortunately went thru, so I confirmed from Ken that all Aero NYPD jackets can only be made from horsehide and not steerhide. It wouldn't be possible to make the fake breast pockets that are on the Aero NYPD on steerhide, so I'm happy my Aero is FQHH since horsehide would have been the period correct material for police jackets back when my grandfather served as an officer and chief. Thanks for reading and I'm truly honored to represent our wonderful forum and site in this movie. :)

ETshoot9a-1.jpg

winterland1

Practically Family
Very cool. I believe I had read about your story on a post here before. Great to see you and your jacket are still alive and kicking.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Great post, wishing you all the very best for the filming, the perfect jacket to go with it too! I have a couple of original 1970's NYPD jackets and love the style and build quality. Also as having in recent times have serious heart disease myself ,(although in no way as extreme as what you have fought), it is good inspiration to know what you can go through and keep positive, I find it hard a lot of the time to get out and about without help but with a good jacket on my back it is surprising just how it gives you the extra boost, thankful indeed for this hobby.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Great post, wishing you all the very best for the filming, the perfect jacket to go with it too! I have a couple of original 1970's NYPD jackets and love the style and build quality. Also as having in recent times have serious heart disease myself ,(although in no way as extreme as what you have fought), it is good inspiration to know what you can go through and keep positive, I find it hard a lot of the time to get out and about without help but with a good jacket on my back it is surprising just how it gives you the extra boost, thankful indeed for this hobby.

Thank you so much, my friend! Would love to see pics of your NYPD jackets sometime. Mine was slightly modified later on when I had Aero remove most of the buttons (except for the 2 on the shoulder epaullettes) and replaced them with genuine police buttons from the Netherlands thanks to a fellow forum member who is an officer there.
Anyhow, I'm sorry to hear you have heart disease as well. If I can ever be of assistance to you, including any questions you need answered then please let me know. My clinical interest is in cardiology since I've been around cardiologists my entire life and have taken a strong liking to this medical specialty. You seem to have a great attitude though so please keep that up. It's the DIFFICULT times and how we CHOOSE to deal with them that shape and define who we are. Technology and medications are getting better by the day so I'm fully confident you'll get past all this. I wish you a wonderful life full of good heart health, bro. :)

Navin

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Thank you, will try and get some photos done soon. My favourite wearer is actually a jacket, same as the NYPD ones, from 1977 that belonged to a Deputy Sheriff of Essex County, New Jersey. Thank you for your kind offer regarding the heart issues, I seem to always surprise any cardiologists I see because I have never smoked, haven't drunk alcohol for 35 years, not ever been over-weight and eat healthy, but we can't account for what is in our genes so it's about what's ahead not before. I am grateful for our health service despite its detractors...when you're ill it works mostly and is free. again, hope tomorrow is a great shoot, have fun and take care.
Paul

D

Deleted member 16736

Congrats to you and your Beemer, Navin. You're certainly an inspiration to me.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Thank you, will try and get some photos done soon. My favourite wearer is actually a jacket, same as the NYPD ones, from 1977 that belonged to a Deputy Sheriff of Essex County, New Jersey. Thank you for your kind offer regarding the heart issues, I seem to always surprise any cardiologists I see because I have never smoked, haven't drunk alcohol for 35 years, not ever been over-weight and eat healthy, but we can't account for what is in our genes so it's about what's ahead not before. I am grateful for our health service despite its detractors...when you're ill it works mostly and is free. again, hope tomorrow is a great shoot, have fun and take care.
Paul

Great to meet you, Paul and I look forward to seeing pics of what I'm sure are beautiful jackets. I can relate to you... I don't drink or smoke either yet I still have heart disease. One can acquire heart disease at any point in their life or you can be born with heart disease (congenital heart disease) which was the case with me. My heart condition and Parkinson's is a blessing because both have taught me to love life and not take anything or anyone for granted. Life has a way of knocking me down with health issues but the joy in life I've learned is to get right back up on your feet after life knocks you down, look life in the eye and smile. I choose to keep fighting the fight and know that there will be a cure someday for both Parkinson's and my heart condition. Enjoy your jackets in the very best of health, Paul. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Congrats to you and your Beemer, Navin. You're certainly an inspiration to me.

Hey Joel!! Great to hear from you after so long. Thanks for the kind words and I'm extremely honored and humbled that I could inspire you. Hope you've been doing well. Fantastic profile pic you have, bro. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner