Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Addicted To The Fedora Lounge

Flora

Familiar Face
Starius said:
Harry L. Rinker wrote in his book How To Think Like a Collector:

I think if you replace "collectibles" with "the fedora lounge," this statement could be applied here.
How clever! :eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I recently hit 1,000 posts I realized at the end of the day that I had made 30 posts in one day. That sort of shook me up, and I called my girlfriend to sort of discuss it. But as soon as I said Fedora Lounge, I got this big reaction to the effect that I was getting down right pathological about this Fedora Lounge thing and was beginning to exhibit addictive behavior, etc., etc. Now her ex had serious (very serious) issues of this sort, so she's hyper sensitive to it. So it's become sort of an issue with us. We've talked it over some, so it's been defused considerably. But I had to listen to my brain's reaction. I realized the degree to which I wanted to say "Well, screw you!" is probably the degree to which she just might have a point. These online relationships are different from "real world" relationships. I'm very careful to refer to people I've met in the Lounge as acquaintances, rather than friends. I've met a few members, and there definitely will be real friendships developing. but I don't even know the real names of a lot of people I've chatted with.
But there is an addictive element that warrants some thought.
The point is this is a lot of fun, and informative, and it's an opportunity to express myself about subjects that nobody I know in "real life" is interested in.
But it's also frequently an escape from reality. I know I spend more time here than I want to sometimes, and some times I neglect responsibilities (like at work) that I should pay attention to.
So, addictive??? Hmmmmmm . . . . . . . . . .

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
When I recently hit 1,000 posts I realized at the end of the day that I had made 30 posts in one day. That sort of shook me up, and I called my girlfriend to sort of discuss it. But as soon as I said Fedora Lounge, I got this big reaction to the effect that I was getting down right pathological about this Fedora Lounge thing and was beginning to exhibit addictive behavior, etc., etc. Now her ex had serious (very serious) issues of this sort, so she's hyper sensitive to it. So it's become sort of an issue with us. We've talked it over some, so it's been defused considerably. But I had to listen to my brain's reaction. I realized the degree to which I wanted to say "Well, screw you!" is probably the degree to which she just might have a point. These online relationships are different from "real world" relationships. I'm very careful to refer to people I've met in the Lounge as acquaintances, rather than friends. I've met a few members, and there definitely will be real friendships developing. but I don't even know the real names of a lot of people I've chatted with.
The point is this is a lot of fun, and informative, and it's an opportunity to express myself about subjects that nobody I know in "real life" is interested in.
But it's also frequently an escape from reality. I know I spend more time here than I want to sometimes, and some times I neglect responsibilities (like at work) that I should pay attention to.

Very Deep. and i QUOTE hmmmm

Mike K.

One Too Many
97-sixthsense.jpg

I see Fedora Loungers...
...they're everywhere...
...they walk around like everyone else...
...they don't even know that they're addicted.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:

The first thing that comes to mind is Cosmic Law. "Likes Attract Likes"
I consider the people in the forum to be "online friends" and hope to meet some of you at different events. Yes, I may not meet the people across the pond, or even a few states away, but we are still connected in this weird sort of way.

Yes we need to keep our online life seperate from our everyday life and friends. I love this forum, but I wouldn't skip out on something I want to do to be on it every night....but geezzz...you do miss out on a lot when you miss a day. lol

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
I know I'm not addicted... though for those of you with a problem... what brings you back? Who brings you back?

What are you getting out of the Lounge?

The love for the past brings me back. I am in love with it, obsessed with it, though we are trapped in 2007!!! Can we ever go back to the 30's in a time machine, I don't think it's possible yet. But going back to the Fedora Lounge is possible and it is as good as it gets. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner