Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That was my feeling. The Army told a bunch of us old zebras that twenty-nine had been a good number but it was time for us to let some younger chaps fill our spots. The rest of the cohort panicked and tried everything they could think of to stay in. I shrugged, said "Thanx for the fun", turned the life-page and motored on.

MattieA65

New in Town
Hunting Trip to Namibia, August 2014

Hunting trip to Namibia, maybe once in a lifetime, hopefully not. The rifle is a Mannlicher Schoenauer GK in 8x68S.

Attachments

• August 2014, Namibia - Kudu.jpg
    August 2014, Namibia - Kudu.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 150
  • August 2014, Namibia - Oryx.jpg
    August 2014, Namibia - Oryx.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 162
  • August 2014, Namibia - Warthog.jpg
    August 2014, Namibia - Warthog.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 166

DesertDan

One Too Many
Great pics Mattie and a great rifle as well!

I also have a Mannlicher Schoenauer (.243) that I inheirited from my father. Artwork in walnut and blued steel.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I visited Machu Piccu two years ago. As we wandered Macchu Piccu, we heard of something called the Inka Bridge, and that it was right out of an Indiana Jones movie. Needless to say, we considered that a must-see. We got directions to where the trail began, not knowing what we were in for. It began here, heading up into the jungle:
DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN7867.jpg

It didn't take long to break out onto a trail that ran along the side of a mountain. It's impossible to do justice to the elevations here, but I'd say say it's easily more than a thousand feet from the river below to the peaks above us:
DSCN7881.jpg

We followed the trail for just about an hour. It was beautiful all the way:
DSCN7880.jpg

DSCN7878.jpg

DSCN7883.jpg

DSCN0573.jpg

DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

DSCN0580.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
DSCN0582.jpg

DSCN0585.jpg

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0604.jpg

DSCN7871.jpg

Finally we were there. I had expected to walk out onto it and get a picture, but they had it fenced off and I thought better about my plan when I saw the bridge in person:
DSCN0590.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0591.jpg

We had reached the end of the trail and the only way out was the way we had come in. So we got the pleasure of seeing all that wonderful country again. I've never been on a hike that had such enormous elevations involved. It was a thing of beauty.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Finally we were there. I had expected to walk out onto it and get a picture, but they had it fenced off and I thought better about my plan when I saw the bridge in person:
DSCN0590.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0591.jpg

We had reached the end of the trail and the only way out was the way we had come in. So we got the pleasure of seeing all that wonderful country again. I've never been on a hike that had such enormous elevations involved. It was a thing of beauty.

I wonder if the bridge was part of a defensive set up?

Looks like there are some steps of some sort built into the far wall.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I think you're right about those steps, Moe, I hadn't noticed them before. I don't think this was a defensive set up, I think it was the only route through those very steep mountains, and they had no choice but to build a bridge somewhere. This was probably the best place for one.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hey everyone! Thought I would check in seeing that I'm long overdue for a stop at The Fedora Lounge. Sorry for my leave of absence but I was first up to my @%#! in alligators, then sort of hanging out elsewhere.

That's me, not so vintage attire, exploring and mapping the remote western Everglades.
swamp_zps834d19f8.jpg

Following that, it was into the canopy of a giant, centuries old tree to survey wildlife as part of an official Flag Expedition of The Explorers Club.
tree1_zps01b07092.jpg
tree2_zpsa330f661.jpg

I'll try to be more diligent about checking in and sharing my adventures.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I think you're right about those steps, Moe, I hadn't noticed them before. I don't think this was a defensive set up, I think it was the only route through those very steep mountains, and they had no choice but to build a bridge somewhere. This was probably the best place for one.

What I find interesting is if you look at the next to last photo it appears that the walkway under the bridge was not completed - it looks much like a window frame with the bridge being placed over it.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Blackthorn

Did some research and found this:

"The Inca Bridge is actually part of the stone path that heads west from Machu Picchu. This spot was considered to have been of vital strategic importance for the defense of the citadel. Here the Incas left a twenty foot gap in the carved cliff edge. The space, gaping out over a 1,900 feet drop, was bridged by a pair of tree trunks. In times of danger, the Incas had only to withdraw the trunks to make this part of the citadel unassailable. "

As I figured it appears to be a defensive set up and with the missile weapons they had ( bow and arrow, bolo, slings, spears etc) they could have held off invaders at that natural choke point that allows for observation of a long portion of the trail system.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn

Did some research and found this:

"The Inca Bridge is actually part of the stone path that heads west from Machu Picchu. This spot was considered to have been of vital strategic importance for the defense of the citadel. Here the Incas left a twenty foot gap in the carved cliff edge. The space, gaping out over a 1,900 feet drop, was bridged by a pair of tree trunks. In times of danger, the Incas had only to withdraw the trunks to make this part of the citadel unassailable. "

As I figured it appears to be a defensive set up and with the missile weapons they had ( bow and arrow, bolo, slings, spears etc) they could have held off invaders at that natural choke point that allows for observation of a long portion of the trail system.
Well done, HM! I had no idea. I'm glad to know how far that drop is, too. It was one of the coolest places I've ever been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy