Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Tofte.jpg
Long, long ago, when I was in my twenties. Sailing for dolphin research in the Mediterranean Sea on board of an old gaff ketch, norwegian built round 1890 and restored by owners in the late 1980's.

Terranova.jpg
A few months later, working during Christmas on the fishing grounds of the great banks off Newfoundland

MariaAsumptaN1.jpg
On board of Brig Maria Asumpta (build in Barcelona 1850, lost off Penzance, Cornwall 1995. The oldest ship still sailing at the time) three lives lost in wreckage.

MariaAsumpta-sep94-reducida.jpg
At the wheel of Maria Asumpta

Last edited:

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Thank you sir.
I'll post more pictures as soon as I recover and scan them. It is going to be a little bit of a "treasure quest" because they haven't seen light for at least a decade.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
A few more pictures of Maria Asumpta, (not the same ship as the first colour picture)
MariaAsumptaN4.jpg
At the dock in Vilagarcia de Arosa, Galicia Spain.

MariaAsumptaN2-c.jpg
The galley. I am the bearded one on the left

MariaAsumptaN3c.jpg
Speaking with the bosun. The people you see behind are on the dock, waiting to board the ship for a visit. The bosun and me, as many others were working on the rigging to have the old lady ready to set sail from Spain to England. We did, but with strong northern winds we sailed for two weeks drifting westward before we could regain a true northern movement (not just compass bearing), meanwhile we enjoyed the waves, the rain, some gastric diseases among the crew and a great deal of whale- and bird-watching.
Those photographs were taken by a local photo-journalist whose name was "X. Ameneiro" and thus must be credited for them. I've tried to find him through the years, but whithout success (even on internet days). I'd like to thank him for those pictures.

Attachments

• MariaAsumpta3-sep94.jpg
    MariaAsumpta3-sep94.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 138

L'Onset

Familiar Face
Sorry for the unintended attached thumbnail

:eusa_doh:I didn't want to post that last picture, but couldn manage to take it out[huh], it stuck as an attached thumbnail.
Is a partial view of the Aga used for cooking all our meals on board. I am the author of that last pic.

Renault

One Too Many
A shameless selfie on the "veldt" of Deep South Texas, chasing the elusive nilgai. One was taken by my close friend this particular weekend!!

Evening meal at the cabin! Forum member Niv on far left. My favorite part of the hunt. Fellowship with my friends and family!! I think we cooked up a nice loin of pork on the fire this evening. Details are still sketchy! ;)

Damaraland, Namibia

There is a wooden crate sitting in the hold of the slowest tramp steamer plying it's trade across the southern Atlantic making it's way to Texas. Soon I will by strong arming a crowbar to rediscover some trophies I left behind. While the good lady wife has a "No Eyeballs in the House" rule, that does not apply to the gun room. The Lagavulin and a couple of Cohiba cigars are waiting to christen the mounts upon the wall.

The Kalahari Ferrari donkey cart is not a trophy, of course, but I thought it might amuse!

Kalahari Ferrari_opt.jpg lil kudu_opt.jpg lil oryx_opt.jpg lil ost_opt.jpg lil pig_opt.jpg

Very nice Henry, What are the firearms shown in your pics?

Kudu and warthog were taken with Mauser M03 in 375 H&H. Great rifle. It is a switch barrel and you only loosen two captured screws (cant lose 'em!) to break down. Goes back to zero every time. Ostrich and Gemsbok were taken with 7mm mag. Namibia tends toward long, longer and looooonggg range shooting. The 375 hand load I brought were fantastic in the Mopane but just did not have the legs for the open desert. I borrowed the 7mm from the outfitter. Last animal taken on that safari was a very old cull zebra for the local's pot at 365 meters. I love 375 but it would never had made that shot (my loads, not the rifles fault.)

I have since traded up that Mauser for another Mauser M03 in 416 Rem. There is a joint horned infidel, the old Cape Buff, in my future ;-)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Renault and Henry, great pics, both of you! Especially love the ostrich shot!

Henry, I have to say, too, I'm jealous of your whiskers. Those are exactly what I intended to grow as soon as I retired from the military, which I finally did last month. Within two weeks I had a four-day weekend, and thought, "Now's my chance!" Wouldn't you know it, my beard is patchy in all the wrong spots! I think if I grew it out I'd look like Che Guevara or Johnny Depp. Not the look I was going for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy