Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aerial Star gone?

xmr

One of the Regulars
I always toyed with the idea of getting another A2 from Chris. I noticed that the website is dead, has he stopped offering jackets?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's sad if he has indeed packed it in. From what I saw here he seemed like a nice fella to deal with and his jackets looked great, and were a nice alternative for those after a civvy style A-2 from the 40s and 50s.

Hopefully it's just a case of him rejigging his website, because it's always sad when a maker shuts up shop and especially when they've carved their own unique part in the market.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They were making some really interesting stuff, but if they have gone, and I hope they haven't, it's just proof of how saturated this market is. I still expect to see another couple companies go to the wall in the next few years. I just don't think that there's enough slack in the market - there's a flavour of A-2 for every taste and budget; the civvy market is expanding, though mainly through the established brands than new ones coming in. I guess the thing is that the well-known names understand the market and what it wants. I can't imagine how hard it is to break into this niche.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I hope not. Fantastic jackets. That half belt of his never came into fruitition, which I think would have made them a larger presence. I'm lucky I still have mine. Tried selling it a bunch but it always ended up with me; it's a great jacket!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Back at Xmas I was trying to place an order with him and he advised his stock of hides was low and it would be around a month before he could take an order however after that date he would be ready to go as would his mythical half belt he had been working on.
I left it a month and tried again, once more, no stock. I tried again a few weeks later and there has been no contact since. Chris was very polite and positive in his responses but I have given up and ordered my A2 via Aero.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I hope not. Fantastic jackets. That half belt of his never came into fruitition, which I think would have made them a larger presence. I'm lucky I still have mine. Tried selling it a bunch but it always ended up with me; it's a great jacket!

I'm amazed you couldn't get a buyer. Such a nice jacket, you must be glad it didn't go.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sad, sounds as if they have gone belly up then. I remember Brettafett posting a very good review of his one and it really looked the bee's knees.

Always sad when a maker disappears, well a good maker that is.

Brettafett

One Too Many
If this is the case, its a shame. Good jacket at a good price.... great customer service. Perhaps it is just a temporary thing...

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a shame.... I cannot think of any maker who are selling such great jackets at reasonable prices.
Headwind is giving it a shot, and I wish them all the luck in the world. It really is too bad about Aerial: there must be all kinds of snags that we fans know nothing about. Tough business.

Edward

Bartender
If this is the case, its a shame. Good jacket at a good price.... great customer service. Perhaps it is just a temporary thing...

Let's hope so: I very much liked what they were doing, and the A2-type with slash pockets was a thing of true beauty. As Sloan notes, though, it's a tough, niche market, and not one that I think can bear as many players as we've already got.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'll give Chris a call. Spent quite some time talking jackets with him. Really cool dude. His heart was in the right place.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I suspect that it is because Aerial Star doesn't have any repro military contracts to compete with the big boys. And then there is also this obsession about the use of horsehide recently, even Lewis Leathers has switch their main hide as horse. But be careful of what you wish for.... (borrowed from the Taiwanese website).

mobile01-ddba47775bec65497bc7e4a5410d9ded.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
They were making some really interesting stuff, but if they have gone, and I hope they haven't, it's just proof of how saturated this market is. I still expect to see another couple companies go to the wall in the next few years. I just don't think that there's enough slack in the market - there's a flavour of A-2 for every taste and budget; the civvy market is expanding, though mainly through the established brands than new ones coming in. I guess the thing is that the well-known names understand the market and what it wants. I can't imagine how hard it is to break into this niche.
I think what Craig said over the weekend is particularly relevant, although we don't really know exactly what is happening right now with Aerial Star. I suspect that Gibson & Barnes might have lost much of their market share too. Seems to be a tough business in which to maintain traction though.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wonder how popular leather actually is. Only one of my male friends has owned anything in leather and no one I know at work wears it. In the past twenty years I have met only three or four guys who like the look of it and even they have tended to buy second hand from thrift shops.

Mark

Practically Family
Never see anyone wearing good quality leather. Plenty of Mall stuff though.

IXL

One Too Many
I wonder how popular leather actually is. Only one of my male friends has owned anything in leather and no one I know at work wears it. In the past twenty years I have met only three or four guys who like the look of it and even they have tended to buy second hand from thrift shops.

Never see anyone wearing good quality leather. Plenty of Mall stuff though.

What kind of dives are you guys hanging around? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR