Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1920s Original Hercules

Status
Not open for further replies.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
That's an interpretation. Not sure if it's mine though.

Not so much an interpretation, but an observation. I have about every Sears, Montgomery Ward, and Spiegel catalog from 1938 to 1953. Leather jackets are usually advertised just before or after workwear, and the illustrated depictions are markedly different than the general attire.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think it looks great. Doesn't look too short and is well-proportioned with your legs. But we really need a poll...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Looks about perfect, broski. Glad to see you respond after oh about a year :lol:

schitzo

Suspended
Time for an update. As some of you will remember from 'shrinking aero anyone' the jacket has shrunk a bit. Unfortunately I didn't manage to post a pic of me wearing it now in time for that thread, so here's one to illustrate what I'm talking about.

I'd appreciate it if this thread wasn't closed, so am asking that any interested parties please take a moment to consider the house rules and the spirit of this house before posting. Remember chaps, If you aren't interested in this thread and its topic, or if you feel that I should be banned for having a different opinion to yours, there are of course lots of other threads on here for you to grace. I am just one guy discussing one jacket. And this thread is about THE JACKET. So please, keep the balderdash away from me this time. You have PMing facilities for that

Then and now with the same jeans and just a shirt underneath
orig herc orig fit compared by misterschitzo, on Flickr

I can tell you that the sleeves aren't as short as they look there. The trouble is, now that it's tightened up when putting a long sleeved shirt on, even with my thumb on the cuff, I can't get it past the cuff seam of the jacket. So the shirt sleeves are bunched up under there which makes the jacket's ride up a bit. I wore the jacket out that night and after half an hour or so, I noticed the sleeves - shirt and jacket - had sorted themselves out, and were sitting further down. The body however is a different story. Like it says earlier on in this thread, that used to cover my belt at the back, just, but now it doesn't. I am a little disappointed this has happened to a jacket I really like but it's not the end of the world. I can still wear it, and as the other thread revealed I am of course not the only one whose aero has shrunk a bit. In case anyone is wondering about the side adjusters, I have never used them. On that matter, one doesn't work anyhow and so even if I wanted to I couldn't

However, the thing that disappointed me the most was the explanation I received from aero. After being encouraged to contact them on here, I did, and was flatly told that the only fault with my jacket is that I have inflicted ceasing which has altered its length. And this unequivocal diagnosis was one made off the back of just two photographs. I did offer to provide a video and/or comparison shots yet these were not deemed necessary or helpful

Anyhow, I made a video for you lot, to reveal more clearly the two culpable creases, which apparently were caused by me packing it in a suitcase. If you missed it the first time, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqevPWsB6U

My personal opinion is that the creases were probably not caused by a suitcase. That said, even if they were, IMHO for them to have this kind of effect seems a bit improbable.

If we look back to the first set of photos published on this thread when the jacket was new and had not yet shrunk, perhaps there are some clues.

The back when new
new orig herc fit pic 2 by misterschitzo, on Flickr

When you open it, look closely and in particular, pay attention to the areas where the two creases, as highlighted in the video, appear now. What do you see?

Last edited:

FarWalker

New in Town
Hey Schitzo -

The photos do make it appear that the jacket is shorter, and many of us thought it looked too short from the get-go. But I am afraid that no number of photos or posts is going to fix this issue for you. For me, the only reason to wear a garment that costs this much is because you are continuously excited to put it on. Once that feeling is gone, and you find yourself questioning the jacket's length and fit every time you wear it, the spell is broken and can't be recast. The thrill is gone, as they say in the blues. Your best bet is to move on and try again, either by requesting a specific solution from the maker or by selling it and taking what you have learned about how leather may break in to by a new one that you think will do you better. Unsatisfying, perhaps, but these things were meant to be worn, and online photos and analysis can only get you so far.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It might just be the photo, but to me the jacket looks like it is sitting very differently on your shoulders. Esp looking at your left hand side around the neck. The jacket seems to be sitting higher up now compared to the older photo and it looks tighter around the neck.
Have you gained any weight? Maybe hit the gym and built up the chest/shoulder area? The jacket just looks like its sitting differently to me...then again, maybe thats just because it shrank?

zhz

Practically Family
It might just be the photo, but to me the jacket looks like it is sitting very differently on your shoulders. Esp looking at your left hand side around the neck. The jacket seems to be sitting higher up now compared to the older photo and it looks tighter around the neck.
Have you gained any weight? Maybe hit the gym and built up the chest/shoulder area? The jacket just looks like its sitting differently to me...then again, maybe thats just because it shrank?

ProteinNerd, I noticed the shoulder/neck as well. But I think it is just because the jacket shrinkage.

Schitzo, did you measure the chest/shoulder after you notice the shrink? To me, it is not just the length, but the whole jacket is 1 to 2 size smaller now

zhz

Practically Family
Hey Schitzo -

The photos do make it appear that the jacket is shorter, and many of us thought it looked too short from the get-go. But I am afraid that no number of photos or posts is going to fix this issue for you. For me, the only reason to wear a garment that costs this much is because you are continuously excited to put it on. Once that feeling is gone, and you find yourself questioning the jacket's length and fit every time you wear it, the spell is broken and can't be recast. The thrill is gone, as they say in the blues. Your best bet is to move on and try again, either by requesting a specific solution from the maker or by selling it and taking what you have learned about how leather may break in to by a new one that you think will do you better. Unsatisfying, perhaps, but these things were meant to be worn, and online photos and analysis can only get you so far.

Hi FarWalker,

Correct me if I misunderstand you. Are you suggesting that Schitzo feel this jacket become shorter is because he's not excited about or love this jacket any more? And any little defects become so huge that he can not leave with them?
Please look at the difference between two photos, it is clear to me that the jacket is one size smaller now, and one the original one, the jacket looks perfect on him. I do believe the jacket can not get smaller because the owner does not feel excited about it, can it?

schitzo

Suspended
Hey Schitzo -

Thanks farwalker. I see what you're saying. But I'm not broken hearted over here. I wore it out the day I took those shots and the sleeves are actually still pretty good. Granted, I can only get it on over a shirt now, but I reckon I'm gonna keep on wearing it, even if it is a little bit too short. I'm also still thinking I might take it in the shower one day and then try some crazy tai chi moves for a few hours

I had this thought too, at first. But then I measured my chest and it turns out I'm just as puny as ever! I haven't been to the gym or involved with any type of manual labour either, and so unfortunately it seems I have not discovered a new way to gain muscle whilst doing nothing. Fyi, for the photos I tried my best to stand naturally, with shoulders relaxed - to basically mimic the first one as best I could. The bottom line is, it's smaller now. Possibly the thing you're talking about is the shirt underneath not sitting flat. As with the sleeves, the rest of it also took a bit of time to settle down, since getting the jacket on now is not as easy as it once was. I need to pull the shirt down and into position, if you follow me, and trying to adjust the sleeves and shoulder areas I have found is very awkward, if not impossible, thus there may well have been some crumpled up shirt underneath the area you mentioned

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Hey Schitzo -

Hi FarWalker,

Correct me if I misunderstand you. Are you suggesting that Schitzo feel this jacket become shorter is because he's not excited about or love this jacket any more? And any little defects become so huge that he can not leave with them?
Please look at the difference between two photos, it is clear to me that the jacket is one size smaller now, and one the original one, the jacket looks perfect on him. I do believe the jacket can not get smaller because the owner does not feel excited about it, can it?

I don't think that's his point zhz. I think he is suggesting it's time to move on and stop talking about it. Which is fine. He probably won't be the last to come on and make this suggestion. But before anyone else is tempted to, I'd urge you to take a moment to consider how a forum like this actually functions. In here, those who want to talk are free to talk. Those who don't are free to not talk. I am certainly not going to tell anyone they should talk or should stop talking because grown men can of course work this out for themselves! Thus any regulation from the self elected topic of conversation police is not necessary here nor will it be welcomed. Farwalker, that is not to imply that you are one of that number, I don't think you are, and I have taken your points, which I felt came from a good place, into consideration

Personally, as much as I do enjoy the 'Great jacket - perfect fit - bit of HWT on the collar - that brown FQHH will look even better with some wear' conversations that we so regularly recycle (and lord knows I do love em) I feel like there are some talking points here which are worthy of consideration. Of course, if I didn't think so, I wouldn't have bothered posting

Last edited:

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
With a couple of givens - that the jeans are exactly the same style/fit and your body size hasn't changed at all - it looks like it's shrunk quite a bit.

As others have said previously, this is one of the drawbacks of specifying a very precise fit for a jacket before wear.

As noted above, the shoulder area looks different in the comparison photos. Having experienced shoulder tension myself I think you could do worse than see about getting some massage and exercise for that. It can and will affect the fit of garments.

In any case, unless you're getting stuff made bespoke, there's always the chance that a particular pattern won't suit your shape, whether before or after wear, especially if made in a natural material that can vary so much.

Sell and relax.

zhz

Practically Family
I don't think that's his point zhz. I think he is suggesting it's time to move on and stop talking about it. Which is fine. He probably won't be the last to come on and make this suggestion. But before anyone else is tempted to, I'd urge you to take a moment to consider how a forum like this actually functions. In here, those who want to talk are free to talk. Those who don't are free to not talk. I am certainly not going to tell anyone they should talk or should stop talking because grown men can of course work this out for themselves! Thus any regulation from the self elected topic of conversation police is not necessary here nor will it be welcomed. Farwalker, that is not to imply that you are one of that number, I don't think you are, and I have taken your points, which I felt came from a good place, into consideration

Personally, as much as I do enjoy the 'Great jacket - perfect fit - bit of HWT on the collar - that brown FQHH will look even better with some wear' conversations that we so regularly recycle (and lord knows I do love em) I feel like there are some talking points here which are worthy of consideration. Of course, if I didn't think so, I wouldn't have bothered posting

FarWalker, please accept my apology for misunderstand your point.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I saw the continuation of this thread earlier today and thought that I would delay a bit until I could formulate a response. So here it is: I think the original design of the jacket was at a time when men wore trousers much higher than today. You said earlier that the back length for a stock 38 is 24.5" but that 1/2" was added to that (25"?). I believe you said at one time that you are 6'2" tall. Gauging from your photos, it appears that you have a somewhat long torso in relation to your height as well. Based on that model, I would think that a 27" back would work much better, and maybe even a tad more. The biggest difference that I see between your early pics and the most recent ones is that the Herc has conformed to your frame, as it should. HOWEVER, IMHO the body length of the Herc was 2" too short in the first place, and now everything seems accentuated. A jacket with a 25" back length (or less) worn on a 6'2" man with a somewhat long torso to boot, and jeans worn at the level of the iliac crest or even lower is always going to look like this:

To a lesser degree the same could be said about the sleeves, although sleeve length is very much a relative thing, and what is too short for me might well be too long for someone else. The "bunching up" of your sleeves that occurs when you put on the jacket is maybe a combination of the cord lining under the leather cuff and the moleskin sleeve lining. I don't have that problem with any of my cuffed jackets with leather lined cuffs and sleeves lined with cotton drill, both more slippery than the moleskin/cord combo. Hope that makes sense.

IMO there is one jacket that looked better on you than anything else you have shown us: the Aero 50's Half Belt that, as I recall, had a body length of 27" that had near perfect proportions, but was one that you felt was too long in the body. In fact that particular jacket and the way it looked/fit was the gold standard of what I used to my advantage in purchasing virtually every one of my jackets, at least the jackets that I kept.

After all is said and done, maybe the best advice was from Cordwrangler:

"In any case, unless you're getting stuff made bespoke, there's always the chance that a particular pattern won't suit your shape, whether before or after wear, especially if made in a natural material that can vary so much.

Sell and relax."

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if this is a case of the leather simply conforming to Schitz's body. Maybe it is, but then I'd bet there'd be a higher frequency of owners who originally specified a slim jacket, to find it no longer fits or is uncomfortable to wear.
It's interesting and something to take into consideration, but like I've said a few times in the other thread, there are just too many unknowns to draw an absolute conclusion on what exactly happened.

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
Well I don't know what to say, it's like looking at two different jackets. Ok, I was expecting to see some loss in back length but it looks like the jacket is a size smaller all over. It's a strange phenomenon no doubt, can't say I have ever seen a result like it!

zhz

Practically Family
I don't know if this is a case of the leather simply conforming to Schitz's body. Maybe it is, but then I'd bet there'd be a higher frequency of owners who originally specified a slim jacket, to find it no longer fits or is uncomfortable to wear.
It's interesting and something to take into consideration, but like I've said a few times in the other thread, there are just too many unknowns to draw an absolute conclusion on what exactly happened.

I totally agree with you nick, the conforming of the jacket should not cause this kind of effect, and we still dont know what really happened to Schitz's jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider