Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A2 38-1711-P in heavy FQ horsehide after a year of wear

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi loungers,

there are some things that I really like to own, but in the moment I got them in my hands the magic is gone. That is not the fact with my Aero 38-1711. This jacket is still my absolutelly favourite and I´m so proud of it that I would like to show it to you after a year of use.

For me the 38-1711-P is the nicest A2 contract. I love the top stitching, the zipper constuction, the collarstand and the small pockets. This contract with this tappered body looks (for me) much cooler than the later contracts with there wider bodies.

The jacket was ordered in November 2009 and delivered in April 2010. I asked for a military trim fitting A2 in brown heavy front quarter horse hide. It is made from Aero´s "normal" hfqhh. Only for the collar stand Will looked for a thinner peace of leather, as he told me. The jacket is labeled 40 and really trim fitting. There is no room for more than a shirt. But that is what I asked for. I often wear the jacket in my daily business with a shirt and a tie.

After a year the jacket has created a lovely character and a baeautiful patina. On hot days it already buttery soft.

Here are some photos from the jacket:

5765390940_8e1325758e_z.jpg

5765396866_1417aebd49_z.jpg

5765393512_d3cdb970ff_z.jpg

5780327692_8466615531_z.jpg

5764849723_638348108a_z.jpg

5764848777_01e4aea274_z.jpg

5764845771_37b25794be_z.jpg

Here a some pics of the proud owner:

5779631391_9e60b9f44f_z.jpg

5780178300_874068d64d_z.jpg

5779633469_27d371c2cd_z.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Gancho

Last edited:

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
It is a lovely jacket. I have one of these in russet jerky horse-hide on order right now. I've struggled to find good photos of anyone wearing one - thanks for posting. I hope mine fits as well as yours!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Wow, that is one of the best fit A-2 I have ever seen! It almost looks like a fashion jacket!

None of my A-2 has a fit like that, either they are a big baggy or they are a bit too tight. Maybe I am just not made for the A-2.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the kind words.

The jacket is really snug. Unwearable with more than a shirt. For an everyday jacket I would go up one size. The armholes are very small!!

5780180436_07876fc199_z.jpg

5779627431_78b652aa51_z.jpg

Here you can see how tight it is.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the hh used to make this 1938 Aero is fantastic and is developing some nice character now. Apart from incorrect use of ring snaps, Aero have done a very good job with this repro. It is certainly a trim fit but personally I prefer a slightly more generous fit, particularly in the body so that one can layer underneath it on colder days.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Hey, I only had to wait for two and a half years on the lounge to see an A2 that actually fits! That's the reason why I never got one: you've got to be really slender and choose a very tight fit to look good in them. Congratulations for taking the grand prize!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I only had to wait for two and a half years on the lounge to see an A2 that actually fits! That's the reason why I never got one: you've got to be really slender and choose a very tight fit to look good in them. Congratulations for taking the grand prize!

This late 1941 picture from the Good Wear website illustrates that there was in fact not a proper fit at all for the A-2 in the war. There is quite a range in ages and sizes.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Proper_A2_Fit.jpg

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I admit that the A2's tendency to look less sharp on most people is probably historically correct. It's just that I can't get myself to overlook the problem with their fit for the sake of heritage. Glad to see Gancho here proves it can be done - if you have the "right" physique to match the A2's unforgiving cut.

Yeah, you look like you should be yelling "Clear!" whilst getting ready for takeoff! The armhole thing is the one area where I just cringe and have trouble pulling the plug on custom jackets. Too stressed over it coming in too small.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I agree with the others: The jacket fit is perfect & the jacket itself is really nice!!! :eusa_clap

I used to own one as well, but didn't like the fit too much (mine was too short & too wide at the shoulder/chest) - so I sold it a long time ago.

Can you share the usual measurements: armpit-to-armpit, back length, width across the waist, etc. I can see the tapering from the chest to the waist, but not as obvious as mine was.

Thanks
B.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey Ollie;
Terrific looking jacket.
You did a very good job breaking it in and it will look even better after another year of ownership.
Also, you have the physique to pull off the fit of the A-2.

Regards, coffee

P.S. I hope the A-2s FQHH stablemates don't get jealous when you pull the infamous "threesome!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21