Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Badalassi Offering

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Gentlemen, am I the only one to whom Badadassi cowhide from Aero looks now quite similar to their Vicenza HH (well, at least on photos, esp. if comparing with Aero's old good early Vicenza photos)? Have always thought Badalassi being thicker/heavier leather with more uneven grain where plain areas were near grainy ones and wrinkles and grains were uneven on the leather surface. To me Badalassi always used to look more similar to that old (gorgeous and quite heavy) Victory HH from BK than to any midweight leathers like Vicenza HH.
Please don't get me wrong, I like Vicenza and Badalassi both, but love each leather for its own adorable features.
Not a big fan making them looking quite similar in a matter of its weight and look. Why Aero's Badalassi now looks noticeably thinner (kind of looking being midweight leather now, almost like Vicenza HH) and looks having quite uniform grain all over the surface than those old good jackets from early The Few Mfg for instance? Is that the result of that Aero's abovementioned "reworking process"? What for? Not a big fan of making such gorgeous full grain leather being noticeably thinner.

Jedy617

Familiar Face
Gentlemen, am I the only one to whom Badadassi cowhide from Aero looks now quite similar to their Vicenza HH (well, at least on photos, esp. if comparing with Aero's old good early Vicenza photos)? Have always thought Badalassi being thicker/heavier leather with more uneven grain where plain areas were near grainy ones and wrinkles and grains were uneven on the leather surface. To me Badalassi always used to look more similar to that old (gorgeous and quite heavy) Victory HH from BK than to any midweight leathers like Vicenza HH.
Please don't get me wrong, I like Vicenza and Badalassi both, but love each leather for its own adorable features.
Not a big fan making them looking quite similar in a matter of its weight and look. Why Aero's Badalassi now looks noticeably thinner (kind of looking being midweight leather now, almost like Vicenza HH) and looks having quite uniform grain all over the surface than those old good jackets from early The Few Mfg for instance? Is that the result of that Aero's abovementioned "reworking process"? What for? Not a big fan of making such gorgeous full grain leather being noticeably thinner.

Ken from aero mentioned on the vintage jacket forums that the weight and feel is now similar to vicenza, yes. He said that originally badalassi is just too thick and stiff. I'm super glad for that, and it's the reason I chose it. A lighter weight hide like vicenza, but the colors are just more deep, rich, and vibrant. If I wanted heavier I would have gone with CXL

Last edited:

Jedy617

Familiar Face
Also, there should be no change to the grain characteristics even if the leather is thinner. It's probably a very batch dependent thing on the grain. Like I said, I assume most of the "reworking" is just tumbling. Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. Badalassi Carlo is the tannery, and just like horween they have different tannages and styles of leather. So the badalassi you may have seen before might not be what aero is using now. There is Minerva, waxy, Minerva box, Pueblo, nappa lux, etc etc. Check out rocky mountain leather supply to see a couple samples of their stuff (they have a good selection but not all of them)

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I own both leathers (one apiece); at least in my case they are completely different. My vicenza Happy Days (medio 2016) is as thick as CXL FQHH (though I've heard that later batches are lighter), really really supple from day 1 and really grainy; my badalassi Teamster (end 2019) is thinner and lighter, relatively little grain (agree, it is new), shiny and squeaky, and stiff (almost as a cxl fqhh).

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Also, there should be no change to the grain characteristics even if the leather is thinner. It's probably a very batch dependent thing on the grain. Like I said, I assume most of the "reworking" is just tumbling. Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. Badalassi Carlo is the tannery, and just like horween they have different tannages and styles of leather. So the badalassi you may have seen before might not be what aero is using now. There is Minerva, , waxy, Minerva box, Pueblo, nappa lux, etc etc. Check out rocky mountain leather supply to see a couple samples of their stuff (they have a good selection but not all of them)
I own both leathers (one apiece); at least in my case they are completely different. My vicenza Happy Days (medio 2016) is as thick as CXL FQHH (though I've heard that later batches are lighter), really really supple from day 1 and really grainy; my badalassi Teamster (end 2019) is thinner and lighter, relatively little grain (agree, it is new), shiny and squeaky, and stiff (almost as a cxl fqhh).
Thanks gentlemen! As I said before, I still love thicker Badalassi a bit more and the thickness is actually the only reason I'm still out of this new Aero's Badalassi option, but all-in-all it's no doubts a nice step forward from Aero with this option.
I understand well that for summer wear Aero's Badalassi might possibly feel even more comfortable being noticeably thinner than that original thick Badalassi cowhide I love so much - once again, to each their own, and of course this "reworked" option is still Badalassi and it still looks nice.
Aero CXL HH and CXL steerhide are well known both and both are very very impressive options too, but they are totally different beasts from Badalassi cowhide. I'd compare old good thick Badalassi with gorgeous Victory HH (wich I love).
Btw, I like when people name Badalassi cowhide like Badass hide when speaking of that good old thick cowhide leather from Carlo Badalassi - 'cause that's what I love that gorgeous leather for!) If I remember correct, @tmitchell59 was the first who named it such aptly and I really liked that Badalassi leather's straight alias from him!)

Last edited:

Jedy617

Familiar Face
Thanks gentlemen! As I said before, I still love thicker Badalassi a bit more and the thickness is actually the only reason I'm still out of this new Aero's Badalassi option, but all-in-all it's no doubts a nice step forward from Aero with this option.
I understand well that for summer wear Aero's Badalassi might possibly feel even more comfortable being noticeably thinner than that original thick Badalassi cowhide I love so much - once again, to each their own, and of course this "reworked" option is still Badalassi and it still looks nice.
Aero CXL HH and CXL steerhide are well known both and both are very very impressive options too, but they are totally different beasts from Badadlassi. I'd compare old good thick Badalassi with gorgeous Victory HH (wich I love).

This is my first custom ordered jacket, but I was able to request a lighter hide (I did this because Carrie from Thurston told me badalassi would be in between vicenza and cxl in terms of weight, and vicenza felt significant enough for me) so maybe you could order one and request for the thickest hides they have and maybe get something to your liking. Hell, maybe they even have some unworked badalassi still left, or even would be able to set you aside some leather before being reworked, I'd message aero/Thurston and see if that's possible if you'd wish.

I believe @majormajor ended up with a blue steerhide that was NOT Badalassi Petrolio.

bretron said:
Major, this made from Aero's "A-2 leathers"? Or did they get a whole new line of mid weight hides?

I'm honestly not sure, breton. It looks very similar to the hide that my last Aero A2 was made from (and is weathering in the same fashion), but does seem a little thicker. To be honest, Ken had a bewildering assortment of hides in stock when I was last at the factory. So it could be what is used for A2s, or it could be something else.;)

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Yeah, my Vicenza from last year feels very like FQHH but is lighter - maybe 2.5 oz - a similar lighter weight to most vintage jackets I have seen. Kind of firm/stiff finish. It seems lighter than Aero goat. I like the hide. It scratches easily but the scratches fade away just as easily.

I've never been interested enough in leather to be a hide connoisseur - I just want the hide to wear well over time and not be too heavy.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Hi all, I’ll chime in on the current Vicenza talk, as I just received my new stock BR from Thurston in blackened brown Vicenza. This is a size up(38) from my current blackened Brown Vicenza BR I bought last year. Though they are the same hide and color, they seem almost completely different in terms of aesthetics, and to some degree, in terms of feel. My Vic from last year was very soft and supple right from the box. It is also a very glossy, almost squid black with no brown showing through. The new one received yesterday could almost be considered very dark brown, with lots of dark seal already showing through, mainly at seams and fresh sleeve wrinkling. It also feels quite a bit more stiff than I remember last years ever being.. Both are gorgeous to my eye,
12C23568-5365-4C7B-A714-BF0B4649EFDB.jpeg
but there is just something about the one I ordered last year, which is stunning all around. Just a masterpiece of a jacket. I wish it weren’t on the brink of being uncomfortably small for me! New 38 on left, last years 36 on right in the Top pic. 36 laying atop of new 38 in lower pic..
DC67CD66-6024-4D62-9412-71A80A7494D7.jpeg

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Both look great!
How does the 38 fit?

it fits beautifully! A little loose compared to what I’ve been used to in the 36 over the last few months, but I can breathe and have no mobility restrictions, haha. I will probably try to start a new thread with fit pics of the 3 BR’s I have currently, along with all of my measurements and actual jacket measurements for anyone who may be agonizing over which way to go on BR sizing. I know I have been through the wringer with it...

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I will most likely, very sadly, let go of my 36 due to comfort issues. It is very tempting to hang on to it as a summer evening no zip jacket, but reality(my personal reality)says I have too many board racers. Ugh, it’s just a beauty in terms of lining, color, sheen, and the tiniest details. Still probably my favorite one of the 3.

John Lever

One Too Many
I noticed on Instagram that Aero are now doing Nappa Lux from the Badalassi. Anyone who was frequenting the Lounge four or five years ago will recall that this leather was seriously sought-after. I've only seen one example of it, an Aero made from a way-heavy butterscotch sample. Interested to hear and see any up-to-date examples.
My 15 year old Few A1 was Badalassi.

Edward

Bartender
I will most likely, very sadly, let go of my 36 due to comfort issues. It is very tempting to hang on to it as a summer evening no zip jacket, but reality(my personal reality)says I have too many board racers. Ugh, it’s just a beauty in terms of lining, color, sheen, and the tiniest details. Still probably my favorite one of the 3.

My other half often says "Just because something can be done up doesn't mean it fits", which is fair. Took me awhile to learn to size-right.... I think most of uswho get into the vintagestyle leathersgo through a period of wearing them too tight before finding a correct fit and size for us.

nick123

I'll Lock Up

If you look closely, all Badalassi has that rather sexy pock-mark grain to it in some places. I like it; but would tend to agree with you. Still a pretty leather here.

Thuggee

Practically Family
I just just received a A2 fit jacket from Thurston Bros made out of Tobacco Badalassi, don’t think I like this leather, it squeaks/it’s noisy and definitely heavier/thicker than any of the Vicenza jackets I own, the squeaking noise is a deal breaker for me, maybe this gets better with time? I think I’m going to stick with my 1st choice for my custom happy days jacket which was Dark Seal Vicenza, it’s light weight and no “squeaking” what’s up with that noise?

Peacoat

Bartender
I just just received a A2 fit jacket from Thurston Bros made out of Tobacco Badalassi, don’t think I like this leather, it squeaks/it’s noisy and definitely heavier/thicker than any of the Vicenza jackets I own, the squeaking noise is a deal breaker for me, maybe this gets better with time? I think I’m going to stick with my 1st choice for my custom happy days jacket which was Dark Seal Vicenza, it’s light weight and no “squeaking” what’s up with that noise?
The "squeaking" may come from the stitching rubbing against the leather. That is the usual cause. Two ways to "fix" it: Sprinkle talcum powder on the stitches. Or treat the stitches with a quality leather conditioner, such as Pecard. I have used both methods with success. I prefer the latter method because it is easier for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko