Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Badalassi Offering

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
^^ Definitely not as pliable as LL Veg sheep. I’m going crazy waiting for Midwest temps to cooperate, so that I can finally wear my new black Badi jacket. I’ve been on the edge of my seat since mid July when I received it. Can’t wait to see how it behaves with some proper wear. This particular batch of black Badi feels significantly heavier than my board racer in tobacco.

jszair

New in Town
What’s the russet badalassi shade in real life?

Thurston Bro’s pictures are very orangey. But the one @AerGuitar posted seems to be closer to some of the tobacco badalassi under sunshine pics…

Is the real shade closer to thurs bro or AerGuitar’s

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Russet is just russet. Mine doesn’t have orange hues in it. Russet is one shade lighter than the Tobacco. I’ll take a compare photo in day light. There’s red hues in the Tobacco. And the chestnut is light seal, no red, just brown. You can’t go wrong with any of them really. Badalassi burnishes around the edges with just a few wears. Feels very premium compared to other leather options. There’s a stretch to them, very pliable.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Russet is just russet. Mine doesn’t have orange hues in it. Russet is one shade lighter than the Tobacco. I’ll take a compare photo in day light. There’s red hues in the Tobacco. And the chestnut is light seal, no red, just brown. You can’t go wrong with any of them really. Badalassi burnishes around the edges with just a few wears. Feels very premium compared to other leather options. There’s a stretch to them, very pliable.
Russet is definitely a shade lighter than the tobacco. In the right light, I can see some of the russet color in my tobacco jacket. I don’t own the russet BR anymore to compare the two. The russet did darken with a couple seasons of heavy wear.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Here are russet and tobacco together, in case it helps. Russet is not orange, but a lighter version of tobacco imo….

Attachments

• DEF007AE-04F9-4792-B72E-A2900847478C.jpeg
    DEF007AE-04F9-4792-B72E-A2900847478C.jpeg
    709.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 77B21CE0-4065-4FF3-9B77-6DE764ED4C41.jpeg
    77B21CE0-4065-4FF3-9B77-6DE764ED4C41.jpeg
    733.3 KB · Views: 236
  • C1C97758-066C-469E-A59A-0734D997069E.jpeg
    C1C97758-066C-469E-A59A-0734D997069E.jpeg
    767.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 9ADA7EC6-D94B-44F8-B86F-0880E2F53383.jpeg
    9ADA7EC6-D94B-44F8-B86F-0880E2F53383.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 250

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
^^^ There you go that's a very good representation of the two shades. You can't go wrong with any of the Badalassi brown shades.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Russet / Chestnut / Tobacco / Black
IMG_7504.JPG

I would say Tobacco is close to Brown CXL, Chestnut is close to seal vicenza, and Russet is just russet, no orange.
The finish is similar to CXL but no teacore and not as waxy stiff when cold. The squeak can be tamed by conditioning the seams. It's really the better leather option for everyday-grab-and-go type jacket from Aero at the moment. No one else is really using this leather either. And the upcharge from Aero is worth it, more so than Vicenza from a patina potential point of view.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
No one else is really using this leather either.
Thedi Leathers offers Badalassi.

I specifically asked Theodoros whether he could bring some badalassi hides because I never handled the leather and I was curious about the squeak, how bad it really is. I was somewhat surprised to hear that Theodoros never heard of the squeak issue.

I tried one of his Badalassi jackets and with normal wear it didn't squeak at all. Only when I tried really hard I was able to make it squeak, twisting my arm in such a way that the upper sleeve rubbed against the lower sleeve.

Maybe Aero uses hides that are finished differently? (Minerva vs Minerva Box which has a more pebbly grain)

Or maybe Thedi's construction techniques differ from Aero's? (Tighter stitching at the seams, applying glue, I don't know I'm just guessing here)

Badalassi swatches and jacket

14B663E2-DC89-4669-BA31-9C682246B908.jpeg

85BBF085-A581-4E23-A0A9-A51F63965993.jpeg

75635DA8-9636-44F4-B567-5177670F3C11.jpeg

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Russet / Chestnut / Tobacco / Black
View attachment 455486
I would say Tobacco is close to Brown CXL, Chestnut is close to seal vicenza, and Russet is just russet, no orange.
The finish is similar to CXL but no teacore and not as waxy stiff when cold. The squeak can be tamed by conditioning the seams. It's really the better leather option for everyday-grab-and-go type jacket from Aero at the moment. No one else is really using this leather either. And the upcharge from Aero is worth it, more so than Vicenza from a patina potential point of view.
I have not seen the chestnut one before - looks v nice - is that Aero and do you have any more shots of it? Is it a new/regular offering or a one-off as it is not on their website as far as I can tell? Thanks for sharing!

Salmosalar

A-List Customer

I specifically asked Theodoros whether he could bring some badalassi hides because I never handled the leather and I was curious about the squeak, how bad it really is. I was somewhat surprised to hear that Theodoros never heard of the squeak issue.

I tried one of his Badalassi jackets and with normal wear it didn't squeak at all. Only when I tried really hard I was able to make it squeak, twisting my arm in such a way that the upper sleeve rubbed against the lower sleeve.

Maybe Aero uses hides that are finished differently? (Minerva vs Minerva Box which has a more pebbly grain)

Or maybe Thedi's construction techniques differ from Aero's? (Tighter stitching at the seams, applying glue, I don't know I'm just guessing here)

View attachment 455517
View attachment 455516

View attachment 455515
That is a really beautiful jacket Marc! I bet the lack of squeaking comes down to his more waxy finish vs Aero's more shiny polished finish (at least initially)…..the mink oil/lotion on my Aeros seems to have fixed mine so far, which suggests that the outer surface could be where the friction and hence noise are generated rather than “deeper” issues with the leather itself. Badalassi is by far one of my favourite leathers - I much prefer it to shinki, vicenza or CXL and put it up there at the very top with LL vegtan cow and sheep and FL pony.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have not seen the chestnut one before - looks v nice - is that Aero and do you have any more shots of it? Is it a new/regular offering or a one-off as it is not on their website as far as I can tell? Thanks for sharing!
What Mr Proper said.

I bought mine off the sale page. But I first saw this Chestnut Badalassi from their facebook post. It said they had a test batch that was enough for a few jackets. The color is lighter than what they were shooting for but I think it looks fine. Badalassi darkens by itself quite a bit. I believe this Chestnut was meant to be seal color but right now it's light seal. Mine has already darkened and burnished with just inside wears. I'll take an updated photo tonight when I get home. It is the most brown out of the brown Badalassi, no red, so very seal. Very good stuff.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Just a couple clarifications regarding firstly our Chestnut. We received our first sample batch a few months ago and whilst beautiful ( as all the Badalassi) it wasn't as dark as we wanted or expected. We were aiming for a colour clearly darker that our Tobacco which has red undertones. See photo showing what we received and what we were looking for on top. We have just placed a new order with Badalassi across all 4 colours , our biggest order to date with them, we have also sent them the cutting in the photo to colour match so we get the nice dark brown we were hoping for. This batch will be with us approx first week November. We will then add Chestnut to our new website.

For those interested we do still haves some of this first batch ( which is still a great colour ) and can be ordered from us.

Regarding the squeekyness, yes it can be a bit squeeky when new but this dissipates with wear, and as mentioned above we have feedback that it can be reduced with conditioners / oils ( although we haven't tried ourselves).

The Badalassi used by Thiedi may be less squeeky as Theodoro uses Minerva where we use Napa Lux ( to our own spec)

Attachments

• 20220329_144812.jpg
    20220329_144812.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 292

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 455517
View attachment 455516

View attachment 455515
Nice "cat eyes". The lengthen front helps to work all the pockets together. Badalassi is awesome. Aero uses Nappa Lux I believe. Greg used skived Minerva Box like what Thedi does I assume. I have the boot thick Minerva Box, not very suitable for jackets at 2.2mm, best to have it skived down to 1.4mm or less.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
There^^^ Whatever HideandSeek said, about Chestnut Badalassi.

Minerva Box won't work in its original thickness or temper. It's armor. Even if it were skived down it would still be very stiff I think. It was meant for bags and boots. The naked finish also scratch and shows very easily. I admit my mistake in the JL thread, don't make my same mistake. From what I understand Bill Kelso also uses Nappa Lux and not Minerva Box for jackets. He has that petrol color.

My Minerva Box hide and jacket. Johnson had a tough time sewing it together. I still have a tough time breaking it in. Stay with garment friendly Nappa Lux.

Badalassi Carlos Olive 01.jpg

Badalassi Carlos Olive 01a.jpg

Johnson M500 Badalassi Vachetta 0000.JPG

I still have a set of Minvera Box brown leather I am not making that into jacket. Bags, no jacket.

Badalassi Carlos Brown 01.jpg

Badalassi Carlos Brown 01b.jpg

Stay with Nappa Lux and condition the seams. This is coming from someone who likes super thick leather. Minerva box isn't it.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
There^^^ Whatever HideandSeek said, about Chestnut Badalassi.

Minerva Box won't work in its original thickness or temper. It's armor. Even if it were skived down it would still be very stiff I think. It was meant for bags and boots. The naked finish also scratch and shows very easily. I admit my mistake in the JL thread, don't make my same mistake. From what I understand Bill Kelso also uses Nappa Lux and not Minerva Box for jackets. He has that petrol color.

My Minerva Box hide and jacket. Johnson had a tough time sewing it together. I still have a tough time breaking it in. Stay with garment friendly Nappa Lux.

View attachment 455818

View attachment 455819

View attachment 455820

I still have a set of Minvera Box brown leather I am not making that into jacket. Bags, no jacket.

View attachment 455822

View attachment 455824

Stay with Nappa Lux and condition the seams. This is coming from someone who likes super thick leather. Minerva box isn't it.
Incredible jacket though! :D

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Some Chestnut Badalassi progress pics. Just indoor wear. Not outside time yet, and already so much transformation.

New (day 1)
Aero Hooch Hauler 40 Chestnut Badalassi 0000.JPG

Two weeks ish later. I got some scuff marks on the sleeve (my left). Fear not, a little light brush and see next pic:
IMG_7512.JPG

Tada, scratches gone. And the brushed area is a little darker. So reverse pull up? Lots of oil in this leather from factory. It will lighten and darken depending on how you wear it. I think the rich oil is why it squeaks but can be tamed. So many different shades in this leather it's quite amazing. It's also very forgiving leather. The only "bad thing" about it is that it has cow and bull parents, not horse. JK.

IMG_7518.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ