Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Brown CXR Steerhide vs. Simmons Bilt Havana Brown CXR Steerhide

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Hey guys;

I am debating between these two leathers. Does anyone know if these two Brown CXR Steerhide the same both being from Horween or are they of different shade of brown ?

If anyone has had both, can you comment on the differences ?

thanks

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The color of Aeros CLX Steerhide is not written in stone. There can be small differences from hide to hide and from batch to patch. Tanning is no maths, two hides don't necessarily look 100% identical just because they were treated the same way.

The very same counts for Simmons Bilt Steerhide.

That is why I don't think you can make all-time-applying statements about these leathers like "this one is darker, this one is more reddish". It all depends on the batch. The only way for you to get certainty, is to ask both companies for a sample of their CURRENT steerhide and even after you get these samples, you have no garantue that your jacket will have exactly that shade of brown because your sample may have been from a particular dark or bright hide from the current batch.

Edit; From what I have seen in the past, Aeros Horween leather generally has more pull up effect, by which I mean more color variation within one hide, where as Simmons Bilt leather seemed more constant or monotonue in its color.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Me .... have had both ... and HAVE both colored hides in horse ( the Aero is Brown CXL the SB is Havana Brown Warhawk).

The Aero and SB are slightly different color but similar ( the Aero is slightly paler if that makes sense) and the SB more redish. The SB is also slightly duller.

I also have samples of both somewhere steer and horse from both Manufacturers and the color matches were almost identical for steer and horse ....

OK just photographed both jackets one laid on top of the other - same section of each jacket ( front and underside of arm ) .... Aero LHB 2007 I think .. maybe 2006 ( bottom) and SB Adventurer 2014 ( top ) ..... so the Aero has almost 10 years on the SB in age and I'd guess roughly double the wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner