Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero: Cafe racer or Half-Belt!!??

reeks1

One of the Regulars
So, I'm waiting on my "fit jacket" (Sonoma Cafe Racer) and I keep doing research. I come across shots of the Aero Half-Belt and now I don't know which way to go!! Oh, and I'm all about brown leather.

To begin, I don't ride, so this a pure fashion jacket.

Which style is more versatile? The Sonoma seems very minimalist and cool, while the Half-Belt leans more towards the traditional.

Any thoughts (and pics!!) are greatly appreciated

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Oh, and I live in the northeast US, so the jacket will be for the Fall/Winter/Early Spring, so which style would be the more versatile?
Thanks again!

That's a real tough one as they are very different. I think it really boils down to- what type of collar do you prefer.
They are both beautiful jackets, and I guess fit similarly.
I think you'll hear a lot of advice to save yourself the anguish and order both ;-)
Good luck!

winterland1

Practically Family
Confused on if you ordered one already?
As already stated most of it comes down to the collar type you like. I personally like to have a traditional collar. Today anyways.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Simple: a black cafe (either vintage or one of insurrection house models) and a brown Aero 30s half belt or Dustbowl ;)

cafeblitz

New in Town
That's a tough choice, both are great designs.

Aside from stylistic differences and the already mentioned collar, one thing to think about are the pockets: Cafe racers have zip pockets that can make their use as hand-warmers uncomfortable. So, if you plan to use the pockets as hand-warmers, a half-belt or a modified cafe racer with simple slash pockets may be more comfortable.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Get both if you can't decide. If you have to get one either toss for it or go with the one that most appeals. I have both. They are my favourite patterns. Both are traditional and both were worn in the twenties/thirties - the cafe is probably more casual.

Last edited:

simonc

Practically Family
Not a fan of the cafe racer, unless its like the very early buco J-31. I just think Tom Cruise five years ago in his James Bond phase. Do as you wish, you asked.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Their cafe isn't the most comfortable jacket for wearing out and about. When standing upright the collar presses into the back of the neck. It's cut to work best and be comfortable when you're in a riding position. This bothers some people more than others. When I first put mine on it doesn't feel like it would be a problem, but I really start to feel it after a couple hours.

I have a 50's HB & a cafe racer. Like previously said, the non-zippered slash pockets are preferable for a non-riding jacket.
I also like to turn up my collar to the wind if needed on a non-riding jacket.
Cafe racer doesn't have a collar to flap around while riding & zippered pockets to hold things while riding = I've lost keys & garage door openers wearing jackets for riding without zippered pockets.

For what you are looking for, I'd go cafe racer with traditional color & slash pockets w/o zippers.
I actually have a jacket just like this that I wear a lot for non-riding now. It's the one that lost my keys & opener before I got a true cafe racer jacket. JMHO

thor

Call Me a Cab
IMHO cafe racers look better in black while half belts (and highwaymen) look better in brown.
You can wear a half belt with a t-shirt or dress it up with a shirt and tie. I'd go for the half belt.

Edward

Bartender
I'm inclined to the view that a halfbelt, in any colour, is more versatile than a cafe racer. I have two halfbelt jackets, both Aeros. A thirties halfbelt in brown fqhh, and a Bootlegger in cordovan fqhh. Climate permitting, both are frequently worn to the office (and elsewhere) with a collar and tie. I did some years ago own a black cafe racer from another brand.... a Route 66, I think? Nice jacket, bought it for a song on eBay, with the intention of wearing it to the office. Black steer, plain back, long, deep front yoke not unlike the Aero Hercules. At the time my only other leather jacket was a Perfecto-style, which felt a bit out of place to me for the office. The cafe racer did the job well enough for some time, though I eventually sold it on when I decided I preferred something with an older aesthetic and a collar. These days, I do tend to feel that a collared jacket looks much better with a collared shirt and tie than a cafe-racer style mandarin collar, though that is largely to personal taste. If you really fancy one but want it to look a bit less "biker", you could try going for a non-black model, and maybe excising the zips from the pockets and especially the sleeves. Zipped handwarmers never were a problem for me (I prefer not to keep anything in a handwarmer pocket, and I also tend not to use them for hands - I find the trouser pockets better situated for that in a waist or hip length jacket), but they do have more of a bike aesthetic. The zipped cuffs I remember taking the sleeves in to a very narrow end, and that gave it more of the biker look than anything. I'd consider forefeiting those zips (if an option) for a less motorcycle vibe. But that's all to personal taste: either can look good if you like it and wear it with confidence. From experience, even a black cafe racer work with collar and tie to the office won't make you look like you're trying to be the Johnny Strabler or Dee Dee Ramone of the corporate world, if that's a concern.

Are you especially wedded to a very slim fit? I ask this because to my mind one of the simplest, most classic designs is the Highwayman type. I ran shy of one myself for years until falling in with a bargain on the eBay sale page (one of the first of the 'Apprentice-Made' series, early enough to predate the specific AM label, hot off the machine) and taking a punt. Very glad I did. Nowhere near as boxy as I had feared. Mine gets quite lot of wear to the office also. Mine is steer, which for my money has a nicer drape than fqhh in this hide - anything too stiff can exaggerate the perceived boxiness of the design. That said, once broken in (which will happen soon enough with regular wear) negates this.

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Interesting...

Their cafe isn't the most comfortable jacket for wearing out and about. When standing upright the collar presses into the back of the neck. It's cut to work best and be comfortable when you're in a riding position. This bothers some people more than others. When I first put mine on it doesn't feel like it would be a problem, but I really start to feel it after a couple hours.

You guys are goooood. NEVER thought about the "collar pressing into the neck" thing. I guess I'll have to see once the fit jacket arrives. Damn, this is confusing.

Per a few others, I have a feeling that this Aero will not be my last.
Thank you all for your comments!

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Oh: What are your thoughts on contrast stitching?

I'm also thinking of doing contrasting stitching in dark tan(whatever Aero calls it). This jacket will be a life-long keeper, so I want to keep it as classic as possible, but I DO think the contrast looks very nice.

Too flashy? Anyone have pics?

Thank you again!

Edward

Bartender
I'm also thinking of doing contrasting stitching in dark tan(whatever Aero calls it). This jacket will be a life-long keeper, so I want to keep it as classic as possible, but I DO think the contrast looks very nice.

Too flashy? Anyone have pics?

Thank you again!

My Aero A2 (seal goat) has olive drab stitching. I really like this as a contrast - it's a very subtle touch. I like the look of lighter thread with a high contrast too, though be aware that the lighter you go in thread terms, the quicker it might look grubby with wear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

That seems to be a problem associated with Aero cafe racers. I've owned 6 by other makers and never had this problem. In fact, not having a collar is more comfortable than having that big floppy half-belt collar around my neck. If a cafe racer is cut well, you almost don't know you're wearing it.

Last edited:

hipcheck

New in Town

I have noticed this with my new Aero cafe racer. Do you think this will subside with time? How long have you had the jacket. Thanks.

IXL

One Too Many
I have several Schott and Vanson cafe racer jackets. Never have I had a problem with collars pressing my neck from the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy