Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero D-1 Redskin

rumblefish

One Too Many
While I had the camera out and the hat on. Here's a D-1 I bought from a revered member here.

Aero D-1 Redskin, in size 42. I rolled the sleeves a bit to accommodate my shortness. :eek:
DSC03602.jpg
DSC03599.jpg
DSC03600.jpg

I secretly long to match my dog. Got the nose, coat color is close.
DSC03597.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
We had 43 Celsius here on Monday so probably not for a bit ;)

I don't think it will appear until maybe the odd night sometime around April/May when the chillyish nights start again.

But Melbourne is very changeable, it can drop over 20 degrees between day and night on some occasions so you never know!

Edward

Bartender
Nice. I hope eventually to treat myself to a redskin lighterweight sheepsking. I have my eye more on the B6, but if the right deal came up on a D1, I'd jump on it.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Coincidentally (again) I am just finishing off a home-made repro. D-1, based on the early war model like the one above and also in red glazed sheepskin. I did it to make use two NOS short Talon zips I had - it was going to be a C-1 vest and got out of hand!

While I wouldn't claim it to have the same quality as Aero's version, I found it to be simple to make (more so than a B-3) and fun. If anyone wants to make their own, I still have the patterns (size 36").

Papa M

A-List Customer
rumblefish said:
Here's a D-1 I bought from a revered member here.

Aero D-1 Redskin, in size 42.

I recently purchased an identical jacket, same size, but with the addition of a beautiful embroidered squadron patch.

I'm thrilled with it. It is sufficiently lightweight to be wearable through our Spring and Autumn conditions as well as winter.

The hide is incredibly soft and I wonder if it will be prone to rips if treated even slightly roughly?

rumblefish

One Too Many
Edward said:
Nice. I hope eventually to treat myself to a redskin lighterweight sheepsking.

Papa M said:
I'm thrilled with it. It is sufficiently lightweight to be wearable through our Spring and Autumn conditions as well as winter.

I actually find this "lightweight" to be too warm for any days above 40. Can't imagine what the heavys, B-3 and Irvins, are like. Could probably bake potatoes in the sleeves.;) :)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
John,

Thanks for your interest, but I don't possess a digital camera and neither do any of my friends (we're old fashioned). My daughter is due to come and stay with us at Easter and she has one. She may no doubt be persuaded to take the odd photograph - and the jacket may be finished by then!

I don't make any claims for the things I make, I just do it for fun and I encourage others to do likewise. It's fun, cheap (this D-1 will have cost me less than 30GBP when finished) and has that compelling mixture of frustration and satisfaction that drives on human endeavour.

John Lever said:
Please post some pics.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Really...just how blessed hot are those jackets for the wearer? Honestly, they look like something for the polar regions. Not bad looking, I mean, but just way too heavy to wear at sea level.

dean

HighandDry

A-List Customer
They are very warm. With a sweater underneath, I wore my B-6 in -5 degrees f weather and was quite warm. However, it is comfortable up to around 40 degrees and here in Seattle, I've been wearing it often in the winter (40's usually).

I'm not sure if it's the nature of shearling, but it never seems to get too warm. deanglen, being from Michigan, I would think this would be a perfect winter jacket!

Papa M

A-List Customer
deanglen said:
Really...just how blessed hot are those jackets for the wearer?

The D1 is really quite a lightweight. Ideal for an average winter here on the barmy South Coast of England. The shearling is 1/4 inch only; whereas those other jackets have much thicker shearling.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
:eusa_doh:

Yeah Tim, ruff for the dog. ;) :)

How long before you break out the Irvin?

Well there you go Chris! I had to break out the Irvin last night sitting in the back garden. Dropped to 9 degrees, and to think less than a week ago it was 43!

Mind you, quite enjoyable rugged up in the old Irvin sipping my scotch ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner