Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero dilemma

Lukasz69

New in Town
Greetings Loungers. I have a pre-purchase dilemma and would like to solicit your advice. I am looking to buy a brown CXLFQHH jacket in a size 38 and have the following options:
a. wait for the online sale (August 19th) and hope something from the Premier range or an August/Majestic/Original Hercules in my size is available;
b. pull the trigger on a jacket currently available in the sale section, which has the leather, lining and inside pocket that I want, only it’s tagged 40 and therefore an inch too wide in the chest and stomach area (I need 21.5”, the one on sale is 22.5”);
c. order a custom jacket now with delivery in October, but because of financial constraints give up on the lining and pocket that I want;
d. order a custom jacket later with delivery in November (will have more money later) and hope the no-deal Brexit doesn’t happen and there will be no customs charges when shipping to Europe.
What do you think? Any input would be appreciated.

Lukasz69

New in Town
Thanks. The added value of option D is that it does not exclude option A. If there is a jacket on sale that ticks all the boxes, then why not take the plunge; if there isn’t, I can still go for option D. However, if there is a customs charge, increased VAT and increased shipping charge after 31.10, the difference between a near-perfect sale jacket now and a perfect custom jacket later may well be in the region of GBP 250, which may be a deal-breaker...
The jacket in option B is GBP 630. The custom version in the right size is GBP 765, and that’s without shipping/duty/VAT difference.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A one inch P-t-P difference is unlikely to be noticeable. I have had Aero half belts with a 23 inch chest and a 24.5 inch chest. Fit is pretty much the same. It's probably only if you are speccing the fit as ultra trim that a half inch less could make a jacket too tight.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I would order that jacket from the Sales Page. You can return it if it doesnt fit. In fact this may even be a good idea if you are certain you want to go for option d) because it'll essentially be a fit jacket for the cost of shipping and you will see whether or not the jacket, leather, liner, pocket set-up is actually your thing. And maybe you'll find the jacket is actually perfect with the extra inch in the chest, who knows!

Lukasz69

New in Town
Thanks all. In fact, I have gone with option C. Returning a jacket from Poland is a bit of a hassle. I have found out that the lining I want happens to be included at no extra cost with the custom jacket I want, so that's 40 pounds "saved". I have measured myself once more and discovered that the jacket in option B is in fact too large by 1.5 inch - I don't think it would fit.
Thanks again for all your help.

Seconding @Bfd70's post - If you buy the jacket you already know won't fit you (the way you want), I doubt it you'll ever find much joy wearing it. You'll just end up constantly second guessing your decision and wondering whether you should've just went full on custom. Been there, done that and it ain't pretty.
Besides, I don't imagine that the jacket on Aero's sale page costs that much more than a brand new one, probably 200 GBP less or so so I'd say that by investing into a new jacket that you know 100% works for you is the best thing you could've done.

As for the modifications, provided you aren't completely insane as some of us here, you're gonna get a decades worth of wear out of that jacket so make it the one that counts.

Also, as far as I am aware, even if Brexit happens, it's going to take a long time till all the changes it brings take place. But that's just what I think...

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would just like to echo all the others who advised against compromising what you want in the interest of getting a jacket quicker. My first Aero was a stock jacket that I bought because it was available right then and there. While it was a beautiful jacket, and it really opened my eyes to the world of quality leather, I sold it after about six months and use the funds to buy my first custom Aero with measurements that worked better for me. I would order the jacket exactly as you want it because compromising on little details here and there are most likely to result in disappointment.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just curious - how did you arrive at 21.5 inches as your chest size - is this based on other leather jackets or some calculation you have made?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all. In fact, I have gone with option C. Returning a jacket from Poland is a bit of a hassle. I have found out that the lining I want happens to be included at no extra cost with the custom jacket I want, so that's 40 pounds "saved". I have measured myself once more and discovered that the jacket in option B is in fact too large by 1.5 inch - I don't think it would fit.
Thanks again for all your help.

Sounds like you made a good choice here!

Lukasz69

New in Town
Just curious - how did you arrive at 21.5 inches as your chest size - is this based on other leather jackets or some calculation you have made?
My Majestic fits spot on and measures in at 21”. However, the Majestic is a spring jacket, mostly worn over a T-shirt; now I am looking for an autumn/winter one, so I added half an inch for layering and specified an alpaca lining.

A one inch P-t-P difference is unlikely to be noticeable. I have had Aero half belts with a 23 inch chest and a 24.5 inch chest. Fit is pretty much the same. It's probably only if you are speccing the fit as ultra trim that a half inch less could make a jacket too tight.

This is a great advice, too. But if you've got your mind set on a specific jacket size you think will look best on you, it's not so simple to see things from a different perspective. I can now wear jackets that are way too big on me and not care but it wasn't always like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo