Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Goatskin. Does it build a patina?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Is this CXL, tho?

I believe so. It's labeled FQHH, the usual Aero label that doesn't differentiate between CXL and whatever midweight horse that may be front quarter as well. But going by the weight and feel I would say it does appear to be CXL.

The above two sure look nicely patinated with all that dirt along the creases. Eric's German barnstormer, too.

For me, a leather jacket has to be quite old and well-worn to have a patina. I agree about the use of the word to mean an added layer (of dirt and oils). The other stuff - surface wear, break etc. - that's just where the patina can settle more easily into the hide.

Getting there...
Top one yes, but I'm not sure that suntanning counts on the MF Campus.
Wait 80 years, and I'm sure it will have patina.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Giving it some more though, I suppose I'd say that with leather, tan is the closest you'll ever get to patina. @Carlos840 and @navetsea wallets are a good example. Or Einstein's jacket. This'd qualify as patina, right?

Levis_Vintage_Clothing_SS_2018_Orginal_Menlo_Cossack_Archive_05.jpg

This too...
4e5dd1908b4ab42d08cfa2f88cf431ff.png

I guess a tan or brown Goat could get there, too. Goat's tough as nails but it'll get dirty, same as any other hide.
That einstein's definitely
The (mf?) Replica need more burnishing into shine. I think (just my own theory again) to get a "patina" the owner must apply some care to the object, oiling it and try to "clean it" a bit by rubbing the surface a bit. If the jacket is just abused and exposed to environment sure it will fade and stained, wrinkled, get character but it wont have that glossy film on top until probably the new owner who buy it try to restore it wax it a bit then it suddenly have/ show "patina"

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Probably 15 months old lanyard belt clip, was a natural vegtan, it gets some suntanning at first week since it was new and everbody like some jump start, and then i get another belt clip and it is just worn normally, i oil it normally just rub oil with finger not saturated, i washed it once to try to clean it from indigo stain when it was newer and paler, i burnish the raw edges with my thumb, and with frosted glass roll on eucalyptus balsam inhaler thingy i carry around to block nasty smell, i dunno if i can call that patina, but gather a lot of different colors from tanning, from oiling, indigo staining and metal staining.
gv7NLN7.jpg

But it is only 15 months

On the new belt clip i tried different approach
I varnish it , and no suntanning
IxQg2nU.jpg

Since it is not the "only belt clip in the house" i dont over think it and just use normally, probably 4 months old slightly older than my double knee pants, oiled once from underneath since the top is varnished. I will see how they would end up looking after another year of normal wearing and caring:D

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, to me complexion refers to acne, oil, rosacea, etc.

Dictionary.com defines "complexion" as follows:

1. the natural color, texture, and appearance of the skin, especially of the face

2. appearance; aspect; character

3. viewpoint, attitude, or conviction

Nevertheless, I prefer "character" for our purposes.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
lets try a practice run:
"hey nice complexion!"
-"thanks, yeah we went full on vegan for 3 months already"
"oww... (eeww), I mean your jacket..." :p:D

joke

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
seems like in the past the sleeve has more creases, but then with lack of recent wear the creases disappear, does goat do that...?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the more I look at that mf the more I think the owner use a wet denim to rub indigo on it, and what is that swirly ketchup like stain on the sleeve, seems deliberate even with a dot on the center.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Try looking at a vintage goatskin jacket. I eventually sold this vintage late 1940s, Goatskin size 42 for cheap on ebay. It was very clean and a full half-belt. There was another on ebay at the same time, just sat there.

I have not lately seen any of the jackets like those I posted above, nothing in that era. Maybe there would be no interest in those either.

I sold some very nice goatskin jackets as I think of it. As nice as they were, none brought much money. Buyers want Horsehide.

2QhYI8LgkON7HkADnxXOwd9fcm7iGA5ujwFZfT_mxpNPqrSTcJn7x2s5bgZ-NPAsnCsPsac9Epcvc0hpfVgpjDK9YRrPPoEn1RaM5L6vONLSCv-K4VZQQ0Ir4QJGnNfTc6HB4ad1XlFKl6f5mm1y5i7zG5bR7DNs7liVihLDIQQu9DajzhqFOk5UCtV_i6qI5YIM5bvv6xgczhEAPLCiLmo7_vpBnPUDAMtZweh_PaJQPBS8HhNF8fk8LNQBak2t4bNc1-cIIShe_89RAwUDexBUZXq2HXJuv0c_m_yVae6o-zwvlVsmh4q44ovs6JlEM9ZJPg83XhKymPDLQLXXrvnr7qVIGbbLrJErbQrSYQWzqoQdZrBmtXm0A2sfayFAbC1rHnx5PVSCjyCLQYUk-ZjHIDH06gxnTKasKvyCaCP7dLvrxMEtilBhBHj3dyochYWB3W__T4TIMHWB0mv-uOdRvUDZtz4Y0vXuf6IFg0pFCLd6y4uk9W-F5-Lp8wocG7QhQP7WLhsDFBXOqdB2SNPIV_y5yqFOcTOPCvCrlqgtz-0vdtZLkZ1ps30qmFyPMc_8B0-WwOCb-pQllhRgwa5_evsKR_YCarzt2ZVVjvGofqjKoJWvqfodeIZqtsNZhr8g6RGw8CJKzyv8IXZQ6w9zXzvwFpAnC6u0CcNaqRe-MC15YwUFu6rF5xQDe3VdjQ50Svhl3CgSAUhMHnXpTnHlTAAJQZnJ4IENF-zSc3EFVVqDnmpqGKE=w1009-h670-no
j_tWmJPe_JGajy9msEDacSkXhdiaQAeq4z00t9Vj3JoEK9x89BHU9LLTGX30sNzY7HcZOWzrmratp2lItH7HBP12OggDcNhSni8eNB1k_Qfvdo8pgfC-JU4jB00hES4x9n4lsrB_HrwamKigcT7YmKkRzP6kNAsFml6ou_z2Pp247LUCsdn37jBkP2Y9156t8tdtIN0UCdkDoR5GrTsB1PCEvZXA3U3CZ1gbBlcgMk7JlERuEZnCqGnqM5x3DNetqB-OxuqnnHeYNZAu48qfesnzuVhMk3TLqdHA5mHTM01Igyv6R7HMPEiBlj6gXT0lpaMk-U2dPBwRdRu9S6NJxVgpU0AjBoCnembVDIogTBLGTu_GDuxDGuJnRuq73hKWDiTv6Vx_1AcS0jeYU6HedEj-O9tSN7w2u8Cwvv9xLVWx56yqIT1d-JVcmu6kENDGMUIXpeyL8SzkQ2hLsVr5PpACX-hLg82nudSx4nVSvTPOF2QFZ1kkm4J0cecc_FdX-GDzygVIbP4_GJT5zrNWGGUmeWIl6EFVkHD2KIO39s7QgQHBBQUnIktdCd75xA--jSxWsi-EOBDOkGolxu3pt1dA0HRlg3I8gZHWveTGf8cmb6b6kzeRDC0rbHihSQAWPS0XuiznV6Ktc0Q-q9tIN6L8lb873bZK0PNZOy-rFX-H1rjvyPRnjWcu1MLq6GDPdaUiIEy_keDgb4UFBcwr-6EQyHMd2DK3m3gn-vvBBjtO6XLDTEOaIz0=w1009-h670-no

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko