Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Goatskin. Does it build a patina?

zebedee

One Too Many
I once saw an Aero USN jacket that had spots of wear where the seal dyehad worn a little to show a red, russett underneath. It was subtle, not the 'tea core' look, but very nice indeed.

Aero's goat is very nice indeed. More substantial than that I've handled from other companies, but still much lighter than steer or horse - a nice compromise for a lighter hide that you can still wear in anger without worrying overly about damage.

It is nice indeed. I tried on a halfbelt in Vicenza when I visited the factory a few years ago. Obviously my experience is subject to the inevitable variations between batches that happen with anything organic, but fwiw I found it a nice hide. Similar thickness to CXL FQHH, which surprised me, but definitely 'lighter' to wear as new. It reminded me a bit of the lighter steer (not CXL) from which my Highwayman is made. Same thickness asthe heavy stuff, but a sense of wearing lighter, morep liable andwith more drape right from the off. I think it would be a great hide for something that isn't so close-fitting to the body - 42 A2 contracts, the HWM, and so on, where a softer drape improves the look, especially if you want that from the off rather than needing to wait for it to full break in naturally.

Can't comment on the break-in period as I've yet to own a Vicenza jacket, but I've certainly not been put off by my limited experience of it. The Shinki I've handled was a bit too light and shiny for my tastes, but again that was a] new and b] a very specific batch. I've not been inclined to go looking for a shinki hide jacket elsewhere. (Aero tried some of their hides about ten years ago as I recall, but chose not to taken them on to their regular line. As memory serves it was not out of any concern about quality, but simply that Shinki were'nt able to guarantee the sort of quantity of hides that Aero wouldhavewanted to make it a standard offering.

I think that this might happen if the 'pale' undertone (which looks a bit like the undertone of seal jerky HH) gets darkened sufficiently on mine; it is my only Aero that looks more or less new apart from creasing. It's nice to have the contrast, though. I didn't get an outer chest pocket on it and have seen quite a few 1930s and 50s HBs that don't have one, either (I can almost get away with it as a smarter jacket). Overall, it's my most 'climate-flexible' Aero.

Edward

Bartender
I think that this might happen if the 'pale' undertone (which looks a bit like the undertone of seal jerky HH) gets darkened sufficiently on mine; it is my only Aero that looks more or less new apart from creasing. It's nice to have the contrast, though. I didn't get an outer chest pocket on it and have seen quite a few 1930s and 50s HBs that don't have one, either (I can almost get away with it as a smarter jacket). Overall, it's my most 'climate-flexible' Aero.

I think that's one of the reasons I wore the Aero goat A2 far more than the Eastman horse one I have. The horse has patina'ed much more obviously, and doesn't look quite as 'uniform smart' as the Aero. Makes the latter much easier to wear as 'office casual', despite it having a squadron patch. (As a rule, I think the military jackets are a touch more 'formal' looking absent any adornment.)

I have owned and own jackets in goat, steer, FQHH, bison, medium horsehides, naked cowhide, the whole gamut, handled many more, and if I was forced to choose just one, it'd be hard to go past the Aero goat. If only they could breed a monster-goat with a hide big enough to make a leather version of the British WW2 despatch rider's coat, now that would be something!!

zebedee

One Too Many
I think that's one of the reasons I wore the Aero goat A2 far more than the Eastman horse one I have. The horse has patina'ed much more obviously, and doesn't look quite as 'uniform smart' as the Aero. Makes the latter much easier to wear as 'office casual', despite it having a squadron patch. (As a rule, I think the military jackets are a touch more 'formal' looking absent any adornment.)

I have owned and own jackets in goat, steer, FQHH, bison, medium horsehides, naked cowhide, the whole gamut, handled many more, and if I was forced to choose just one, it'd be hard to go past the Aero goat. If only they could breed a monster-goat with a hide big enough to make a leather version of the British WW2 despatch rider's coat, now that would be something!!
Yup- I think a Maxwell (or SB's Statesman) in goat would be fantastic. I also find it to be a warmer leather than HH, and, as it's lighter, better for humid spring weather (at least in HK). It'll probably make the return trip with me to Shanghai in August. It's an HB, which means that, unlike the shorter Highwayman or CR, it is useful in SH winters.

Edward

Bartender
Funnily enough, I was never particularly a fan of a mid-length leather (always preferring either waist length or at the knee, and preferably past it) until recently. There's a blazer-length leather worn by a central character in the first couple of seasons of Man in the High Castle that has that 30s-style utility / work jacket to it that really intrigued me, which might well make it an option in my Aero wants-list going forward.

zebedee

One Too Many
Funnily enough, I was never particularly a fan of a mid-length leather (always preferring either waist length or at the knee, and preferably past it) until recently. There's a blazer-length leather worn by a central character in the first couple of seasons of Man in the High Castle that has that 30s-style utility / work jacket to it that really intrigued me, which might well make it an option in my Aero wants-list going forward.

I used to be of the same mindset until I had a double-breasted leather coat that was about knee-length. I hadn't realised quite how mental I looked in it until I realised that I was just too short. I sold it to a buddy who is much taller than me and it suits him really, really well. A Stockman is about as long as I'll go these days...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch