Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Goatskin. Does it build a patina?

I would argue that while this Connolly steerhide highwayman has interesting character, it has a horrible complexion. o_O
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 7.20.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 7.20.16 PM.png

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Terry, if you ever get tired of this one, let me know...love this jacket.

That Scully is in the hands of a friend, Dave Shelley. The jacket was really a size 38, I thought a ladies jacket. I know Dave has some nice goatskin, or did have. He has studied that jacket. In fact he is doing a jacket like this. I know he has been designing a label. I'll remind him. I know Dave just completed a custom jacket based on 30s goatskin Californian cross zip I loaned him. The jacket itself is an example of goat rot. \

The Scully had a very early Talon zipper, I believe JC dated it 1932. If it had fit I would have kept it. The other jacket are 42, 44 and very wearable.

Here are more pictures of the Scully

Bulldozer

One of the Regulars
That Scully is in the hands of a friend, Dave Shelley. The jacket was really a size 38, I thought a ladies jacket. I know Dave has some nice goatskin, or did have. He has studied that jacket. In fact he is doing a jacket like this. I know he has been designing a label. I'll remind him. I know Dave just completed a custom jacket based on 30s goatskin Californian cross zip I loaned him. The jacket itself is an example of goat rot. \

The Scully had a very early Talon zipper, I believe JC dated it 1932. If it had fit I would have kept it. The other jacket are 42, 44 and very wearable.

I think the pictures didn't post.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

Just beautiful, the Scully. If Dave Shelley has made his patterns and can part with it, I'd like to ask for dibs.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Just beautiful, the Scully. If Dave Shelley has made his patterns and can part with it, I'd like to ask for dibs.

No idea if he would part with it. He has other Scully jackets that he is examining with plans for jackets based on the Scully design. He described the Scully in technical ways I often don't quite get. As I recall he had a Scully that I found more interesting than this one. I will write Dave about his progress.

zebedee

One Too Many
Here are some contrast shots. The first ones are Aero's Seal Goat - there is pebbling in the lower back and on the creasing at the wrist. The elbow seam is flattened and smoother.
20200407_165211.jpg 20200407_165218.jpg 20200407_165233.jpg 20200407_165254.jpg
The colour has remained uniform- the jacket has been worn in typhoons, extreme heat, etc. and is a few years old, not being treated gently or carefully.

These are of Aero's FQHH in brown (Highwayman I recently reinforced a zip tape on, ten years old) and Aero's battered Seal Brown mid-weight HH. The Seal HH is a recent, new jacket and looks a much older than the goat, even though I've had the goat one for a while.
20200327_135548.jpg
20200311_082546.jpg 20200311_082608.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
I wear it. I'll do a video with the other older jacket. I've got a nice brown HH Windward to get out. It has a very nice tone, light weight like this jacket.
I need to get some wear in on my Aero goat 1950s HB. It seems to show no age, but I'm going to see if I can give it a month or two of regular 'chore' wear. :)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I need to get some wear in on my Aero goat 1950s HB. It seems to show no age, but I'm going to see if I can give it a month or two of regular 'chore' wear. :)

I have not handled any new goathide. I see it being used. Not all the vintage goat jackets are the same. I would think Aero would employ fine hides.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I have not handled any new goathide. I see it being used. Not all the vintage goat jackets are the same. I would think Aero would employ fine hides.

Their "Majestic" goatskin suede feels nice. I'd guess that it's a similar weight to Vicenza horsehide. I'm not sure how it'll age, though.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Their "Majestic" goatskin suede feels nice. I'd guess that it's a similar weight to Vicenza horsehide. I'm not sure how it'll age, though.

I know that Ken Calder was on a search for that suede goatskin. The Majestic is indeed that.

I have not handled Vicenza, but think I know it. That would be nice to handle. They may have sent me a sample. I will look for that.

Edward

Bartender

I once saw an Aero USN jacket that had spots of wear where the seal dyehad worn a little to show a red, russett underneath. It was subtle, not the 'tea core' look, but very nice indeed.

Aero's goat is very nice indeed. More substantial than that I've handled from other companies, but still much lighter than steer or horse - a nice compromise for a lighter hide that you can still wear in anger without worrying overly about damage.

I have not handled Vicenza, but think I know it. That would be nice to handle. They may have sent me a sample. I will look for that.

It is nice indeed. I tried on a halfbelt in Vicenza when I visited the factory a few years ago. Obviously my experience is subject to the inevitable variations between batches that happen with anything organic, but fwiw I found it a nice hide. Similar thickness to CXL FQHH, which surprised me, but definitely 'lighter' to wear as new. It reminded me a bit of the lighter steer (not CXL) from which my Highwayman is made. Same thickness asthe heavy stuff, but a sense of wearing lighter, morep liable andwith more drape right from the off. I think it would be a great hide for something that isn't so close-fitting to the body - 42 A2 contracts, the HWM, and so on, where a softer drape improves the look, especially if you want that from the off rather than needing to wait for it to full break in naturally.

Can't comment on the break-in period as I've yet to own a Vicenza jacket, but I've certainly not been put off by my limited experience of it. The Shinki I've handled was a bit too light and shiny for my tastes, but again that was a] new and b] a very specific batch. I've not been inclined to go looking for a shinki hide jacket elsewhere. (Aero tried some of their hides about ten years ago as I recall, but chose not to taken them on to their regular line. As memory serves it was not out of any concern about quality, but simply that Shinki were'nt able to guarantee the sort of quantity of hides that Aero wouldhavewanted to make it a standard offering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana