Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Half Belt deluxe fit check

Commisar

New in Town
All, as the title says, last fit check on a Half belt deluxe. Size is a 40 and due to my lumpy potato sack/semi pear shaped torso, their will be some adjustments made. Wearing a t shirt plus a button down shirt during the fit pics.

Lower section will be bumped up a size (note in the fit pics the adjuster straps are fully let out) top section will remain as is.

Torso, I'm thinking to lengthen it 1.5 inches. (I like my jackets to cover my belts and the tops of pants front pockets)

Sleeves will be shortened 1.25 inches, as per Thurston's recommendation.

Beyond that I liked the feel of the Badalassi steerhide fit jacket, knowing that the 2.5 minutes I had it on were only indicative of its dimensional for, not is broken in feel (I'm getting a different leather anyway)

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome, note that I don't like very tight clothes, especially jackets.

PXL_20230717_235430179~2.jpg
PXL_20230717_235517735~2.jpg
PXL_20230717_235544576~2.jpg
PXL_20230717_235357179~2.jpg

PXL_20230717_235345477~3.jpg

PXL_20230717_235447430~2.jpg

PXL_20230717_235331887.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230717_235345477~2.jpg
    PXL_20230717_235345477~2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 72

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Add 0.5" to the body length, 1" max if you really want to. Shorter sleeves no doubt. Add width to the waist, but I don't see a need to add any at the hem unless it's uncomfortable.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I agree with the others, the length looks good to my eye. It’s about a finger width or so from your back pockets.

Whats the front drop on this model? If anything that may be the issue if you prefer a longer looking jacket.

I think If you added an 1 1/2” the back would pucker up.

I agree the sleeves are too long, I’d take off an inch there, maybe more.

Looks like a good fit otherwise.

Is this the model you are set on? I thought you were going with the premier model- totally different cut.

This needs some “front drop” to cover your belt loops. Also those cuffs look pretty big IMO.

Also, I’m not sure the cargo pockets are the best choice for you here- they look great on a longer jacket

It sure is a pretty brown.

Last edited:

Commisar

New in Town
Is this the model you are set on? I thought you were going with the premier model- totally different cut.

This needs some “front drop” to cover your belt loops. Also those cuffs look pretty big IMO.

Also, I’m not sure the cargo pockets are the best choice for you here- they look great on a longer jacket
I confused the half belt deluxe with premier

Commisar

New in Town
I wouldn't lengthen that at all. It looks really good as is (apart from the sleeve length), and hits on your belt even with your arms outstretched.

If you add length I think it would look too long and weird.

Add 0.5" to the body length, 1" max if you really want to. Shorter sleeves no doubt. Add width to the waist, but I don't see a need to add any at the hem unless it's uncomfortable.
.75 inches splits the difference
I agree with the others, the length looks good to my eye. It’s about a finger width or so from your back pockets.

Whats the front drop on this model? If anything that may be the issue if you prefer a longer looking jacket.

I think If you added an 1 1/2” the back would pucker up.

I agree the sleeves are too long, I’d take off an inch there, maybe more.

Looks like a good fit otherwise.

All, thanks for your great advice. I'll add .75 inch to the length, that's it.

Sleeves will get taken up as described.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks good.

Maybe also have a look at the Long Half Belt if you’re tweaking both length and hem width. That one is cut a bit differently and has all the improvements you’re looking for and if you really dig the corded pockets and western back yoke I’m sure those can be added to the LHB block instead of tweaking the Deluxe into a LHB.

Commisar

New in Town
Looks good.

Maybe also have a look at the Long Half Belt if you’re tweaking both length and hem width. That one is cut a bit differently and has all the improvements you’re looking for and if you really dig the corded pockets and western back yoke I’m sure those can be added to the LHB block instead of tweaking the Deluxe into a LHB.
Hehe, the LHB is an eventual jacket however this one will be a little bit longer than the stock pattern. As in .75 inches. As per Thurston, the LHB is multiple inches longer

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hehe, the LHB is an eventual jacket however this one will be a little bit longer than the stock pattern. As in .75 inches. As per Thurston, the LHB is multiple inches longer
What is the front length on your Deluxe HB fit jacket? 21" or 22" from neck down to hem?

I have a size 40 Highwayman which I believe is the same pattern block as your Deluxe HB fit jacket and I added 1" length to back and sleeve, just like your Deluxe, stock was 25", lengthened to 26". With this custom length, the front is 22" and this is how far it hangs on me. I wear mid high rise pants and so if I wore mid low then it will look even shorter:
IMG_2782.jpg

I don't mind the shorter length for the Highwayman (no half belt), for but half belt jackets I would prefer a bit longer too. That's why I suggested about the LHB. I have a stock size 40 Northeaster which I believe is the same base block as LHB. The back length number looks long, 28", but the front length is only 23". The width of the torso is same as the size 40 HWYMan (your Deluxe) but better shape ") (" now elongated imo. I think the front length is more crucial on these half belt jacket like HandyMike said. The back number can be misleading. Number looks long but it doesn't feel very long at the back compared to the lengthened Highwayman (your Deluxe)

IMG_2975.jpg

Your fit jacket looks good but I am also leaning towards more front length, like the way the longer half belts hang. The Longer back will also make the torso look slimmer, even the hem width is actually a bit wider than the shorter half belts.

Commisar

New in Town
What is the front length on your Deluxe HB fit jacket? 21" or 22" from neck down to hem?

I have a size 40 Highwayman which I believe is the same pattern block as your Deluxe HB fit jacket and I added 1" length to back and sleeve, just like your Deluxe, stock was 25", lengthened to 26". With this custom length, the front is 22" and this is how far it hangs on me. I wear mid high rise pants and so if I wore mid low then it will look even shorter:

View attachment 534080

I don't mind the shorter length for the Highwayman (no half belt), for but half belt jackets I would prefer a bit longer too. That's why I suggested about the LHB. I have a stock size 40 Northeaster which I believe is the same base block as LHB. The back length number looks long, 28", but the front length is only 23". The width of the torso is same as the size 40 HWYMan (your Deluxe) but better shape ") (" now elongated imo. I think the front length is more crucial on these half belt jacket like HandyMike said. The back number can be misleading. Number looks long but it doesn't feel very long at the back compared to the lengthened Highwayman (your Deluxe)

View attachment 534081

Your fit jacket looks good but I am also leaning towards more front length, like the way the longer half belts hang. The Longer back will also make the torso look slimmer, even the hem width is actually a bit wider than the shorter half belts.
No idea on the front length of my fit jacket although I did ask Thurston about that and how much longer the front will be after my asks, awaiting a response. My stock fit deluxe half belt has a back length of 27.25 inches, so it'll go up to 28.25 inches.

After talking to a few people and two who saw me in the fit jacket, it's getting 1 inch of extra length. No more, no less. And inch will hide the belt loops without making the jacket seem like it has a very long bottom section under the pockets.

Thurston actually mentioned that a lot of people get a similar length in the HB and LHB.

All that said maybe I'll ask for a LHB fit jacket

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looking at the pictures, my recommendation would be to reduce the rear length by 0.5" and want a 1 - 1.25" front drop in return.
However, one must not forget that Aero reserves a possible tolerance of up to 0.5". And this can deviate up or down.

Commisar

New in Town

View attachment 534080

View attachment 534081

Good points and great pics.

I think I'll stick with the Half Belt Deluxe with a bit of length (1 inch) added and slightly shorter sleeves.

I will eventually get a Long half belt (in russet goatskin probably) and a Happy Days or flight jacket in Seal Goatskin.

The different styles with three different fits.

This Half Belt will cover my belt buckle and Belt when zipped up, arms down up which is what I like in a jacket.

I have a few milsurp M-65 jackets for when I need a LONG jacket a leather one of those would be a bear.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Commisar Looks like Thurston has got you sorted that's great.

Aero's 50s cuts has that straight front hem, and their 30s/40s cut has the front drop.

One jacket at time, I know that feeling of excitement I still get it now after a few jackets. Lots of different brands and options here.

Look for the almond shaped bottom opening:
IMG_9954.JPG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Canuck Panda Isn't the Hooch Hauler suppose to be a 30s cut? No front drop on that one.
Ahh... Names and labels are confusing. Photos are better at telling the story. The ones that come to a point in the front has a front drop:
Image2.jpg

The ones that is slightly curved technically has a drop too but very minimal, 1" max:
Image1.jpg

Obviously the straight across one has zero drop. Usually the 50s jackets are like this. Although many will also have the 1" drop like above, but the one inch drop is basically no drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner