Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Hampden Boots

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
During my recent visit to Aero in Gala, Denny showed me a sample for their latest boot design, The Hampden. I haven't had a chance to post them until now, so here's a few pics:

shoe_3.jpg

shoe_4.jpg

For anyone beyond the British isles, the name is probably a bit of an esoteric one, but it actually explains the inspiration for the design. Hampden is the name of Scotland's national football stadium - it's where our team usually goes to get beaten.
Ken said that when he was young, a pal used a pair of football boots to school with the studs stripped off, and was the envy of all his mates. Hence, you have the tarsal strap across the cap and grainy leather, evocative of those old fashioned footy boots.
As far as I'm aware, the new design should be available later this month, no idea about price, though.

Edward

Bartender
Ah! I interviewed Ken for The Chap at the start of the year - he mentioned they had a pair of 'fifties boots' on the way, this must be them. The cuff-piece at the top is an interesting detail - is that strap removable, or is it a fixed part? Looks like a nice way of keeping the ankle neat and in. I like the grained leather too - I've never had a pair of shoes in grained leather split on me or wrinkle badly. Be interesting to compare these to the Jarrows and the Town Boots.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My memory of the strap is that it's stitched in at the back. As you say, it's an interesting detail which will help the boot develop a really unique look. The grainy leather is fantastic, really robust and should polish up nicely. By the looks of it, it's the same sole as the Jarrows, which means they will last forever. I've had mine for three years and only had to change the heel once so far!

Baseball Guy

New in Town
Interesting - Never looked at Aero for footwear only Jackets. Not sure how the Dainite rubber soles, used by Loake and also Aero it appears, compare in performance to the Commando version, apparently made by another British company: Davies Odell. Anyone got a pairs of each to give a wear/comfort comparison?

That aside, I'm Loake wearer, and not convinced by the additional stitched-in strap over the top of the foot, the tarsal strap, just after the brogued leather. Looks like it would be easy to catch on something, and either damage the boot or, as a result, the wearer.

I'd also guess that the top strap might prove annoying if you wear your "trouser cuffs too tight". Hopefully not style over function!

Be interesting to hear views if anyone gets a pair when they're released.

Edward

Bartender
My memory of the strap is that it's stitched in at the back. As you say, it's an interesting detail which will help the boot develop a really unique look. The grainy leather is fantastic, really robust and should polish up nicely. By the looks of it, it's the same sole as the Jarrows, which means they will last forever. I've had mine for three years and only had to change the heel once so far!

Dainites wear hard - certainly much more so than leather, in my experience, though typically one of the things I do with any new leather soled shoes is have a thin rubber half sole glued on them, works a treat and keeps the damp out too.

Probably a positive to have the strap fixed - sort of thing that could be easily lost otherwise. I like it.

Interesting - Never looked at Aero for footwear only Jackets. Not sure how the Dainite rubber soles, used by Loake and also Aero it appears, compare in performance to the Commando version, apparently made by another British company: Davies Odell. Anyone got a pairs of each to give a wear/comfort comparison?

They'll wear just as welll, just a diferent shape. The Dainite is more of a flatter sole which can look dressier than a commando. That said, I think these boots would also look cool with a commando sole as an alternative, more of a country-style.

That aside, I'm Loake wearer, and not convinced by the additional stitched-in strap over the top of the foot, the tarsal strap, just after the brogued leather. Looks like it would be easy to catch on something, and either damage the boot or, as a result, the wearer.

I'd be surprised. It's a feature that obviously helps set them aside from other boots, and reflects the original football boots - it's a sporty touch you don't see as often now, though some smaller labels have used it here and there. I see your concern in that it's not sewn down - though I doubt it'll be an issue in practice, when you see how low it is. About the same likelihood of catching it on something as the front strap on a penny loafer - which I've never had happen.

I'd also guess that the top strap might prove annoying if you wear your "trouser cuffs too tight". Hopefully not style over function!

Possibly, though they'd have to be pretty much drainpipes. I guess the thing to do in that case would be to tuck 'em into the boots! :)

Be interesting to hear views if anyone gets a pair when they're released.

Definitely. I'm seeing these as a nice country boot with tweed, corduroy, moleskin....

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have used Loake's and can confirm that the Dainite sole is really resistant. However, if I am not mistaken, the Aero boots don't have a Dainite sole but a dainite-type sole, please correct me if I am wrong.

Edward

Bartender
These boots haven't been listed, but the Aero website lists the Jarrows with a Dainite sole specifically; I'd be surprised if wherever they have them made in Northampton would supply non-Dainite soles as Dainite?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
These boots haven't been listed, but the Aero website lists the Jarrows with a Dainite sole specifically; I'd be surprised if wherever they have them made in Northampton would supply non-Dainite soles as Dainite?
I remember a post here a couple of years ago where a member mentioned it, I could be wrong. In the provided photo above the studded sole bears another brand name (unless Dainite except for a brand is also used generic for this type of studded sole). My Loake's and a pair of Crockets I recently tried on had a Dainite brand sole.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My Jarrow Marcher soles are marked Dainite and are in excellent condition three years on. Only changed the heels once and tha's with regular.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
My Jarrow Marcher soles are marked Dainite and are in excellent condition three years on. Only changed the heels once and tha's with regular.
Good to know. I was probably misled from the photo's at the aero site where the sole is obviously not a Dainite brand, probably a sample or older stock photo's.

www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3346

I can verify the excellent resistance to wear of the Dainite soles, at least due to my experience with Loake's.

Sunnyt

New in Town
I received a pair of Hampdens today and the sole is definitely not Dainite as advertised. The brand is ItsHide Commando although it has an appearance that is similar to a standard Dainite sole. Rather surprising given Aero advertises these as having a Dainite sole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21